IGNORED

How to Make 8-Bit AV Cable

post-9166-1146589093_thumb.jpg

I thought this might be helpful to some people. Here is a fairly easy way to make an AV Cable for the XL /XE 8-bit computers. The cable has both s-video and standard composite video. The nice thing about this cable is that it is universal. If you have a 65 or 130xe, you can use it for composite video or s-video. If you have a 1200 or 800xl you can use it for composite video.

First a warning and a disclaimer:

*Be carefull if you build one of these cables. If you don't know how to solder a cable together get some help from someone who can. Double check the wiring before you plug in the cable. Chances are the atari will survive even if something is wired wrong, but you really don't want to have to find out!! This cable is working great for me but I take no responsibility for anyone who destroys there atari computer trying make one.

Now the parts:

1. Playstation AV Cable from Radio Shack Part # 26-894 ($10.49)

2. 5 Pin Male DIN plug. such as Jameco.com Part # 15878CK ($.52)

Finally the Procedure:

1. Cut the Playstation end of the cable off and strip about 1.25" of black outer jacket off

2. Strip 1/8" off the individual colored wires

3. Wire up the cable as follows:

AV Cable__________________Atari 5 Pin DIN

White (left audio)............................Pin3

Red (right audio).............................Pin3

Green (Luma).................................Pin1

Blue (Chroma)................................Pin5

Yellow (Composite video).................Pin4

Black (ground..................................Pin2

Atari 5 Pin connector:

post-9166-1172674118_thumb.jpg

Looking at back of male connector-where you solder the wires (See Figure 6)

I combined this cable with the super video mod on my 130XE. I am using a s-video input on a JVC Color Monitor. The Video is beautiful!!! crisp clear text and virtually no color bleeding!!

February 28, 2007: The DIN plug diagram was fixed and it is now correct.

I hope this is usefull for others. Enjoy

Edited by puppetmark

Using a S-video cable such as this one and doing the super video mod will give you the best possible video output you can have. The super video mods do wonders for color artifacts, ghosting and brightness. In fact, I don't see any artifacts when using my modified 130XE and the s-video input on my monitor. When I use the composite video input I only really notice it when red is next to white and blue is next to red. That is a common NTSC problem when combining croma and luma lines together.

• 9 months later...

AV Cable__________________Atari 5 Pin DIN

White (left audio)............................Pin3

Red (right audio).............................Pin3

Green (Luma).................................Pin1

Blue (Chroma)................................Pin5

Yellow (Composite video).................Pin4

Black (ground..................................Pin2

Atari 5 Pin connector:

Looking at back of connector-where you solder the wires

I combined this cable with the super video mod on my 130XE. I am using a s-video input on a JVC Color Monitor. The Video is beautiful!!! crisp clear text and virtually no color bleeding!!

I hope this is usefull for others. Enjoy

I like this option better than installing an S-Video connector into the back of the case. This way, I can use the existing DIN-5 and also have composite as well as S-Video ouput.

Thanks!!!

Is this any good? EvilBay

I got one for my un-modded 800xl and it gives a great picture on the TV.

That looks like a good cable. However you can get better video with a super video mod and / or s-video if your tv takes that kind of input.

The 1200XL that I am waiting for has the supervideo mod, so will I need to get a better cable to make the most of it? The TV does take s-video.

That looks like a good cable. However you can get better video with a super video mod and / or s-video if your tv takes that kind of input.

The 1200XL that I am waiting for has the supervideo mod, so will I need to get a better cable to make the most of it? The TV does take s-video.

Yes, to get the clearest video on any 8-bit, a super video upgrade and s-video is the best you can do. However, with s-video you loose artifacting effects, so there may be times you still want to use composite video. The cable in this thread does do s-video and composite. If you know how to solder, it's a pretty easy cable to make.

Yes, to get the clearest video on any 8-bit, a super video upgrade and s-video is the best you can do. However, with s-video you loose artifacting effects, so there may be times you still want to use composite video. The cable in this thread does do s-video and composite. If you know how to solder, it's a pretty easy cable to make.

Not done any soldering for about 18 years :roll:

But thinking of doing a 320 upgrade on my 130xe, and video upgrade on the 7800 (you would not believe RF can be so bad :x ) and probably the super video on the 130xl and the 800xl if I find I can still do it (hands a lot shakier nowdays :roll: )

• 9 years later...