IGNORED

In Development: Asteroids clone

Sure... here you go. No problem.

Gem Drop Sources.zip

MakeATR is the utility needed to get at the source files. The disk is a MyDOS disk, and the files are in a subdirectory ("source").

Thanks for the sources and the info! I probably just needed to go into the "source" directory and go from there. The utility I was using had a plus (+) beside the "source" entry. I wasn't sure what this meant. I may have been using MakeATR. The utility was GUI-based and had options to extract text and binary files neither of which worked for the "source" entry for some strange reason icon_mrgreen.gif

tjb

The Genesis controller does not have to be modified. I have written a Tetris close (tetricize) which also uses this controller, each button rotating the piece either left or right.

Thanks. I just tested out the controller I bought, of course confirming what you just said.

It actually, turns out to be the opposite of what I thought from quickly examining the Gem Drop code. Paddl0 reads "228" for button pressed and "1" for button not pressed.

I'm using a Sega Mega Drive 3-button controller. Trigger-B on the Sega controller is the standard Atari trigger (Strig0), and Trigger-C on the Sega controller uses the the paddle register (Paddl0).

I wonder if any of the other buttons can be used? There is a Trigger-A and a Start button. Maybe not. Any info about that "Synthpop"?

Either way, it's a good choice for games that need an extra button... provided they are suitable for using a gamepad. Some games are terrible when played on a gamepad (I.E.: Pac-Man). Sega controllers are readily available, and I believe the 6-button model works similarly as well.

Edited by MrFish

No offense, but Rasteroids is REALLY HARD!!!!

icon_thumbsdown.gif

icon_question.gif Was this released on the A8 or still a WIP?

Not played it yet but found a traditional looking version on Atarionline.plAsteroids II icon_smile.gif

I initally wrote it on the A8 then ported it to the 5200. Eventually there will be versions for both. I do have it setup for conditionally assembly but I haven't been good about updating the A8-specific code. I liked the 5200 because the controllers have two fire buttons and a keypad. I use one button for fire and the other to engage the shield. The keypad is also used.

tjb

on the A8 maybe you could just hold the joystick down/back for the shield like the standard A8 asteroids game :)

on the A8 maybe you could just hold the joystick down/back for the shield like the standard A8 asteroids game icon_smile.gif

True, but then you'd have to choose between from flipping 180 degrees, hyperspace, or engaging the shield for the joystick down/back function. The other two would have to be activated using the keyboard. There's also the EMP (Electro-Magnetic pulse) powerup that acts as sort of a smart bomb. With the 5200 you have access to all these at the same time. I'm hoping to support the Genesis game-pad so that A8 owners can use all these without having to fall back on the keyboard.

tjb

Have you considered a scheme where you control exclusively with keyboard?

You could do something like Z/X to rotate, SHIFT to thrust and START to fire. Of course, Atari keyboards are a pain in that you can't scan individual keys, but there is sufficient independance that you could do games using those keys.

BREAK is also seperate from the remainder, so you could employ that for Hyperspace/whatever.

I guess the other problem too is that those mappings aren't friendly for 1200XL or XEs.

Have you considered a scheme where you control exclusively with keyboard?

You could do something like Z/X to rotate, SHIFT to thrust and START to fire. Of course, Atari keyboards are a pain in that you can't scan individual keys, but there is sufficient independance that you could do games using those keys.

BREAK is also seperate from the remainder, so you could employ that for Hyperspace/whatever.

I guess the other problem too is that those mappings aren't friendly for 1200XL or XEs.

It never dawned on me to have a keyboard-only scheme until Mr. Fish pointed out that the original used only buttons. I would really like to leave it up to the user. Maybe allow use of any combination of joystick (regular or sega) + keyboard. That way you have the freedom to choose. I'd definitely like to try using the keyboard exclusively.

tjb

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've read this topic and considering using Genesis controller for a game I'm writing (need two buttons, one for jump, other for shoot as mapping jumping to JoyUp would be awkward), but I still don't understand few things:

- B works like fire button, right?

- C works by mapping it to Paddl0 (228 pressed, 1 not pressed)

Right?

But how D-Pad is mapped? Does it map like standard atari joystick, or are there any values different for up/down/left/right/diagonals?

Also, are pad's Start/Select/A mapped to something? Anyone has tried to pinpoint registers they are mapped to (if at all)?

Those buttons (A-delect-start) won't work with the Atari 8-bit, unless the controller itself is modified. There was a scehmatic somewhere for modifying a Sega Saturn controller (which has 6 buttons + select and start) for use with the Atari, but I can't remember where. Something about resistor voltage or some such.