IGNORED

5200 in the wild - what's it worth?

Zonie

I have an opportunity to buy a working 2-port with two working controllers, power supply, and the box. What's it worth?

The guy's asking $70. I only really want the controllers. Anyone here want the rest?

the box is OK, has some of the inserts (not all) and the console is in ok condition.

It also has a new in the package dust cover.

Looking at ebay, boxed systems seem to fetch only around $35.

I need to act in the next day or two on this one.

I'm still looking for a trac-ball if anyone has one.

Thanks

Edited by Zonie

I have an opportunity to buy a working 2-port with two working controllers, power supply, and the box. What's it worth?

The guy's asking $70. I only really want the controllers. Anyone here want the rest?

the box is OK, has some of the inserts (not all) and the console is in ok condition.

It also has a new in the package dust cover.

Looking at ebay, boxed systems seem to fetch only around $35.

I need to act in the next day or two on this one.

I'm still looking for a trac-ball if anyone has one.

Thanks

Well...to be honest I think you answered your own question. If the going eBay rate is like $35 bucks then I say go there. If you are just looking for controllers I bet they could be had cheaper there as well. If you do buy his I would test the controllers up front.

George35 is right... that is the way to go if you just want sticks.

$70 is OUTRAGEOUSLY high for a 5200

I paid $35 for TWO 5200s, in an original box, with a stack of games, some CIB, and 4 joysticks... all adapters, switchboxes, etc... the 2 port one had a cracked joystick cover, but worked... the 4 port one, port #1 is out so you can't start a game... but I may work up the nerve to try and resolder that myself. I was able to kludge 1 working and 1 semi-working (no start, pause or reset... stick #2) sticks out of those 4.

In any case... I'd say $70 is too much. You can get yourself quite a system for $70 on eBay...

And no matter WHAT you do, you'll probably end up fixing joysticks at the BEST, or more likely buying one from 4jays, Best or MrRetroGamer.

lol $75, thats nothing compared to this guy in my area at a flea market was trying to sell a boxed 4 port with a couple controllers and a couple games for $120. I bought mine on ebay without the box, 3 controllers, though only 1 worked, and about 8 games for $25 shipped. I can live without the box.

I see them around here for between $15 and $35 at Flea Market settings... but those guys are catching on... most of them do eBay too...

Same thing with the sticks. I ran into a guy selling the sticks for $6 a pop... I knew they wouldn't work, and he was inflexible. "They'll cost you a lot more anywhere else, and they're in good cosmetic condition, you might be able to get them working"...

Bah... I wanted 'em both for $5. They were in good cosmetic condition, but they didn't work until I cleaned them. But, a few years ago, they probably would have been in the "WTF" pile for $.75 or $1.50 each, tops.

True. So at the OUTSIDE of what you would pay on eBay, it is an average deal.

I think you can seriously *beat* it, on eBay, though. Which means that if you shop around locally, you should find one, eventually, for a lot less.

Let him sit on it. How many local people are looking for 5200s *and* willing to pay that kind of price for one?

I saw one boxed at a flea market earlier this year for $45, and I thought it was a rip-off. There's no way i'd pay $70 for one. Especially considering that I only paid $7 for my 5200, with two working controllers and a pile of games.

Put in a request here in the Marketplace, you're bound to get a far better deal, even with shipping.

There's an older lady who sells games at a local Pittsburgh flea market -- I've seen her sell boxed 5200's for around $90. Way too much.

I'd pay $30 or $40 if I couldn't find a better deal. In fact I am going to need a new one soon. My original one, I fried with a bad PCB board. The one I'm using now, it's hinge door broke off. But it works!

I got both of mine for free, for fishing in the bins of stuff that the Salvation Army deemed "too crappy to bother selling." I haven't gotten 'em hooked up to see if anything works, yet, though.

So, figure they sell NES'es for $5, that'd put the street price of a 5200 in Central Florida at about $2.00 or so?

But, only one had a box.