IGNORED

Will games from England work on American 8 bits?

That depends on the game.

The vast majority of cartridge games were primarily designed for the US market, and were not sold in different PAL versions.

Some games released by European companies, usually on disk or cassette, were designed with PAL systems in mind. Some of these will have colour discrepancies on NTSC systems.

Most "classic" games were originally developed and published in the US. And in most cases no "conversion" to PAL was made, at least not at that time. Then it doesn't matter if you get the euro or US version, the software is usually exactly the same. The software might still perform different depending on your machine, but not depending on where the disk was published.

In a few cases the protection was locally implemented in Europe. And in some of these cases the protection breaks when run in an NTSC computer.

The issue is, of course, different for later games that were actually developed and originally published in Europe.

Yes, with very few exceptions.

Are you thinking of any particular game?

Yeah, I was thinking of "Eastern Front."

Al

That is a US produced game. It was originally released by APX (Atari Program Exchange) on cassette and disk, and Atari later released it on cartridge.

All versions of this game will work perfectly on US systems.

I recently purchased about 3 boxes of Atari software that was suppose to be mostly PAL. There were a lot of European magazine disks in the lot I bought along with games and apps. I'd say only 10-15% of the disks would not work right on my US 800XL. It was a very good purchase!!

That guy is a good seller. I've dealt with him before.

I think that he probably just has a boatload of stock for various machines, and maybe doesn't know the situation with Atari 8-bit computers. He uses the same text in his 2600 auctions, where it is more appropriate.

Those games will work just fine on NTSC hardware.