IGNORED

Is the 5200 four port really a problem?

calfranklin

I just succumbed to buying a 4-port 5200 system off of Ebay (for $26). I've heard that these are problem consoles, especially with the proprietary switch box and power supply. If this is so, is there a fix for these? Thanks, Cal

As long as you have the correct switch box, you should be fine. You can use either power supply for the 5200, the 4 port or 2 port, it really does not make a difference. The specs are so similar and it has been determined that either one will work fine with no adverse effects.

I just succumbed to buying a 4-port 5200 system off of Ebay (for $26). I've heard that these are problem consoles, especially with the proprietary switch box and power supply. If this is so, is there a fix for these? Thanks, Cal

Thanks for all the encouraging feedback. I'm looking forward to fire this puppy up and blast back to '83! Cal

However, most 4-ports do not support the 2600 adapter. There is one board revision that does, and I recall that you can see "REV 3" in the corner of the circuit board if you look through the slits in the bottom of the case.

Out of a couple dozen 4-porters, I only found two like this.

also got my 4 porter from the bay and like stated above, it's solid like a rock, never had any problems and it quickly became my favorite retro console.

Also check out the 8-bit conversions. I have spy hunter and donkey kong Jr and would recommend them both. Donkey Kong Jr takes some getting used to with the controller, but in the end its worth the patience, great game after all.

However, most 4-ports do not support the 2600 adapter. There is one board revision that does, and I recall that you can see "REV 3" in the corner of the circuit board if you look through the slits in the bottom of the case.

Out of a couple dozen 4-porters, I only found two like this.

ok, when I receive the 4-porter I just bought on Ebay, I'll check this out! Thanks, Cal

Biggest problem with the four port is finding four working controllers.

You can mod the four port so the 2600 adapter will work, and its very easy to do.

Or you can pay the 5$ for a dedicated 2600.

You can mod the four port so the 2600 adapter will work, and its very easy to do.

lol so true, it would probably cost less to get a 2600 with a couple controllers and games in a bundle than the adapter itself. People must really be lazy to have to not switch out a system and a couple of wires.

Or you can pay $10-$20 for a 7800.

You have original "heavy sixers" for $5 and 7800's for $10-$20?

Or you can pay $10-$20 for a 7800.

You have original "heavy sixers" for $5 and 7800's for $10-$20?

Nope. I have a few 4-switch woodies I got for free, though.

A heavy sixer is hardly the only way to play VCS games.

My point was that the easiest and cheapest way to add 2600 compatibility to your setup is to add a 2600, NOT to hunt down a 2600 adapter and mod a 4-port 5200.

Why not duct tape a 2600 jr to the deck of the 5200. There ought to be enough room, and it should be as ackward looking as the 2600 adapter.

Seriously, I got my kit from Best Electronics. They will send you the parts you need and a diagram of what to do. All you will need to have is a solder gun and solder.

Why not duct tape a 2600 jr to the deck of the 5200. There ought to be enough room, and it should be as ackward looking as the 2600 adapter.

Seriously, I got my kit from Best Electronics. They will send you the parts you need and a diagram of what to do. All you will need to have is a solder gun and solder.

I wonder if you could take the 5200 apart, put the jr INSIDE the 5200 so the cartridge slot would be where the lid for the controller storage is and the cables could run out of holes drilled in the back...hmmmmmm. probably no though without moving the 5200 cartridge slot, but would be interesting to see, i might take my jr apart to see how much room the inards take up anyhow

Edited by JagFan422

Who said anything about heavy sixers?

Wisful thinking on my behalf! I recently got a Sears Telegames "heavy sixer" on Ebay with original box! It was only missing the Target Fun game cart which I have bought separately since. I paid alittle more than $5 for the system, though! :)

I wonder if you could take the 5200 apart, put the jr INSIDE the 5200 so the cartridge slot would be where the lid for the controller storage is and the cables could run out of holes drilled in the back...hmmmmmm. probably no though without moving the 5200 cartridge slot, but would be interesting to see, i might take my jr apart to see how much room the inards take up anyhow

Maybe, but altering the beautiful lines of a stock 5200 is a crime against classic gaming. I'd say anyone who did that should be shot!

I jumpered the relay contacts in the switchbox as the coil was dead.