IGNORED

Anything coming to texas this year?

keilbaca

I haven't heard of anything in Texas. Since VGXpo in Dallas was such a dud last year, there's not going to be another one this year or for several years after. There's an annual pinball and arcade show in Irving, TX (a suburb of Dallas) every year, but i'm not sure when the next one is. I've managed to miss the last two years.

It's going to be a bit longer of a drive, but you might consider going to Tulsa for the Oklahoma Videogame Expo. I've gone to it the past two years, and it's been a lot of fun.

Edited by SteveW

• 1 month later...

There's an annual pinball and arcade show in Irving, TX (a suburb of Dallas) every year, but i'm not sure when the next one is. I've managed to miss the last two years.

From an email list I'm on, the show will be in January, or maybe Feb. The last show was close to Halloween, had costume contests and spooky games featured.

It's a good time. Even though it's pinball heavy, there's plenty of video games to play.

I live within spitting distance of Irving, so i'm ticked off at myself since I managed to miss the shows for the past couple of years. It's not like I have to do a lot of planning ahead of time like the Oklahoma Game Expo, this show would literally be a 15 minute drive from me depending on how many red lights I hit! But it's flown under my radar twice so far. I've got to make sure to go to the upcoming one.

• 1 month later...

There's H. A. A. G. in Houston, looks like it's coming in October or November...

I'm on the Houston arcade list and it looks like the show is going to be December 1st. I've been to the show before and it's a lot of fun. :) Doesn't look like there will be another Texas Pinball Festival until the spring of next year. I was at last year's show and had a great time, too bad they weren't able to hold a show this year.

..Al

There's H. A. A. G. in Houston, looks like it's coming in October or November...

I'm on the Houston arcade list and it looks like the show is going to be December 1st. I've been to the show before and it's a lot of fun. :) Doesn't look like there will be another Texas Pinball Festival until the spring of next year. I was at last year's show and had a great time, too bad they weren't able to hold a show this year.

December 1st is a Friday. So this will be Friday and Saturday both? Looks like they start at 6PM on Fridays.

Do they have much non-coin-op stuff going on at these things?

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

December 1st is a Friday. So this will be Friday and Saturday both?

Yes.

Do they have much non-coin-op stuff going on at these things?

Last year they had, more or less, 90 something machines (some they couldn't fit in there and/or were no-shows). It's not *real* huge, but there's plenty to keep you busy, epsecially with several Multicades (last year was the regular one [i guess you could call it] with Major Havoc, Phoenix, Legendary Wings, Berzerk, Frenzy, Lady Bug, etc., etc., a Williams one [Moon Patrol, Joust, etc.], and one with a lot of Namco games [the Donkey Kongs, Galaga, etc.]). It's all coin op only (on free play though), no home consoles.

Last year they had, more or less, 90 something machines (some they couldn't fit in there and/or were no-shows). It's not *real* huge, but there's plenty to keep you busy, epsecially with several Multicades (last year was the regular one [i guess you could call it] with Major Havoc, Phoenix, Legendary Wings, Berzerk, Frenzy, Lady Bug, etc., etc., a Williams one [Moon Patrol, Joust, etc.], and one with a lot of Namco games [the Donkey Kongs, Galaga, etc.]). It's all coin op only (on free play though), no home consoles.

Well, I don't have too much interest in coin-ops, and certainly not enough to drive to Houston.

I would like to see something more like a comic book or gun show, only for video games. AGE was great, but I'd rather see something a bit more gritty and not have to get a hotel involved. Hotel = more expensive and less show space. There's a place on Lamar just south of Braker that used to be a Sams Club in the distant past, then an indoor flea market more recently, that would be perfect. I'm going to have quite a bit of free time in the next couple of months, and if others are interested, I'd really like to see it happen, maybe for next summer or so, but I don't think I can do it without at least one or two other folks to help. (my e-mail: bruce@xi6.com)

• 1 month later...

Well, I think there's a place where something like this probably _should_ be held in Austin, and that's the Crockett Center.

I would have to ask them directly, but I've heard that it's on the order of $10K for a weekend. Hopefully it would be a bit less for just Saturday or Sunday, but it probably wouldn't be half. I'm not sure how the economics would work out, but if there was interest in getting a show going, I'd be willing to put in some investment into getting the site.

Well, I think there's a place where something like this probably _should_ be held in Austin, and that's the Crockett Center.

I would have to ask them directly, but I've heard that it's on the order of $10K for a weekend. Hopefully it would be a bit less for just Saturday or Sunday, but it probably wouldn't be half. I'm not sure how the economics would work out, but if there was interest in getting a show going, I'd be willing to put in some investment into getting the site.

I've never been to the Crockett Center. I spent significant time investigating both the Palmer Events Center and the Austin Convention Center. Both are fairly nice (the Palmer Events Center is fairly new and the Austin Convention Center was recently remodeled), but they are both very expensive. Especially when you take into consideration convention decorating services (unless you don't mind a big, empty cement slab). You'd need a significant amount of change (over $10K easily) to host a reasonable size event at either of these locations.

..Al