IGNORED

Memcard questions

SeaGtGruff

Okay, I had intended to search the forums for information about the memcard for the 2600, but I got sidetracked, then when I finally remembered why I'd logged onto AA in the first place, it's time for bed. So instead of searching, I'm going to post some general questions.

Basically, I'm wondering about the feasibility of developing a game that uses-- no, requires-- the memcard. In fact, I'm thinking the memcard would actually be sold with the game cartridge, rather than "strongly advising" that the player purchase a memcard.

Who makes the memcard? How much does it cost? Where can I buy one for development uses? And are there enough available so that if I wanted to create and sell a cartridge, I could also include a memcard with each cartridge? I'm not saying that this is going to happen-- heck, I might get run over and killed tomorrow!-- but I'd like to know what my options are and whether such an idea is even feasible. And even if I don't actually create a game cartridge for sale, I'd still like to buy one or more memcards for personal use.

Thanks!

Michael Rideout

Okay, I had intended to search the forums for information about the memcard for the 2600, but I got sidetracked, then when I finally remembered why I'd logged onto AA in the first place, it's time for bed. So instead of searching, I'm going to post some general questions.

Basically, I'm wondering about the feasibility of developing a game that uses-- no, requires-- the memcard. In fact, I'm thinking the memcard would actually be sold with the game cartridge, rather than "strongly advising" that the player purchase a memcard.

Who makes the memcard? How much does it cost? Where can I buy one for development uses? And are there enough available so that if I wanted to create and sell a cartridge, I could also include a memcard with each cartridge? I'm not saying that this is going to happen-- heck, I might get run over and killed tomorrow!-- but I'd like to know what my options are and whether such an idea is even feasible. And even if I don't actually create a game cartridge for sale, I'd still like to buy one or more memcards for personal use.

Thanks!

Michael Rideout

You can find the Memcard for sale at http://www.vectrex.biz/MemCard.htm. I don't know about writing a game that requires a MemCard, but I think that Richard has plenty available. So far, Strat-O-Gems is the only game that really takes advantage of the MemCard. Supercat recently posted a proposal for adding an EEPROM inside an Atari cart which is probably a better approach.

Chris

Edited by cd-w

Richard H. sells the Memcards; I think he either does, has, or has plans to sell them through the AA store. I don't think there would be any major problems with selling a cart+memcard bundle, though you would obviously want to check with Al and Richard. ;)

And Richard has demonstrated many times his complete willingness to ship, completely free, the AVox, the memcard, and the PC-to-AVox interface, to anyone who has interest in developing for those tools. I should know, he has sent all three of those things to me for free!

As for supercat's proposal - it does sound pretty interesting, but there have been lots of new, super-duper carts/boards proposed over the last couple of years and pretty much none of them have actually made it to production (few have even made it to a working prototype). So I wouldn't hold your breath. Though it doesn't hurt to write your code in such a way that you could easily modify it to use an EEPROM-cart. Also, any new EEPROM-cart would undoubtedly cost approximately the same as a regular cart ($20-$25) + memcard (~$10) so...

As for supercat's proposal - it does sound pretty interesting

It does, and I'm in a bit of a quandary as to carrying on making the cards. John's design is interesting in that it frees up the controller port.

Perhaps I'll just leave the EEPROM in the AVox (as the port is being used anyway).

I'll make a small plea to keep making the cards - they have one BIG advantage over John's EEPROM-cart design: the memcards aren't limited to one game. I can use one for Go Fish!, Strat-O-Gems, Fall Down, Man Goes Down, plus anything else that uses them. Basically like a memory stick for a modern console.

• 3 weeks later...