IGNORED

Impossible Mission (Lynx version)

Minuous1

Anyone know why this was not released?

It was mentioned as one of the launch titles in the Lynx preview in ACE magazine, a screenshot was also shown.

This would have been a killer app for the Lynx, I wonder why Epyx canned it...? Is there a prototype version available?

Well why the hell did they do that!!!!?

It's not like they would have been infringing their own licence!

Yet they changed the "Treasure Chests" game to "Gauntlet: The 3rd Encounter", even though it is a disgrace to the Gauntlet name and really not much like proper Gauntlet at all.

Bizarre.

Anyway I downloaded it and had a look, and it's NOTHING AT ALL like ANY of the Impossible Mission series. Seems like Epyx/Atari were lying through their teeth.

Edited by Minuous1

Well why the hell did they do that!!!!?

It's not like they would have been infringing their own licence!

Yet they changed the "Treasure Chests" game to "Gauntlet: The 3rd Encounter", even though it is a disgrace to the Gauntlet name and really not much like proper Gauntlet at all.

Bizarre.

Anyway I downloaded it and had a look, and it's NOTHING AT ALL like ANY of the Impossible Mission series. Seems like Epyx/Atari were lying through their teeth.

I think that's why they changed the name. The game wasn't really much like Impossible Mission, so they decided to split it off from that series.

I've seen this happen with other games on other platforms, too. Here are some other examples:

• Future Cop: LAPD from Electronic Arts was originally developed as "Future Strike" in EA's "Strike" series (Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, etc.).
  • Vigilante 8 started development as a PlayStation/Nintendo 64 spinoff of Interstate '76. The final game is still thematically similar to I'76 (car combat taking place in the mid 1970s), but the storyline and characters are completely different, and don't seem to have any sort of crossover with I'76 that I've noticed.
  • Project Snowblind was originally supposed to be a Deus Ex game.

Can anyone name some more examples?

BTW, although Electrocop isn't part of the Impossible Mission series, it is a great game in its own right.

I think that's why they changed the name. The game wasn't really much like Impossible Mission, so they decided to split it off from that series.

Yes, but I wonder why they didn't just do a literal port of Impossible Mission instead or as well as doing Electrocop...it would have been a killer app.

Yes, but I wonder why they didn't just do a literal port of Impossible Mission instead or as well as doing Electrocop...it would have been a killer app.

Electrocop is an excellent game, and boasts far better graphics (and possibly gameplay) than IM, or any other game of its ilk that was available in the late '80s, IMO. One of the things that impressed me so much about the Lynx's initial lineup was that it bested most titles that were available on consoles (and even many home computers), let alone on other competing handhelds. I think that IM was a bit too dated by '90 to be a killer app, although it wouldn't have hurt to have a few familiar names in the library.