IGNORED

TI-99/4a

I bought my TI 99/4a to play Moon Mine - a great shooty game that I enjoyed in school as a kid. I only have a few games, but I also get a kick out of Hunt the Wumpus. :)

Your Favorite TI game? <--- Another thread over at Particles.org

Hmmm, the thread author's name sounds familiar... :D

An interesting game that nobody ever mentions was Slymoids. It was a pretty nice game, but nobody seems to recall it. I guess it's not a very common game, since it was released the same month that TI announced it was getting out of the business.

Whilst on the 99/4A subject, does anyone know if you can polish out the marks that appear on the brushed aluminium covers (console & voice module), and what causes them?

Also, is there a composite video hack so I can get rid of the RF box and enjoy a super clear picture?

If the TI graphic chip really is similar to what the ColecoVision has, then it must suffer from the same problem - slow, chunky scrolling that no amount of clever code can really solve. How about those 32 sprites? Are they as large as the C-64's (24x21)? As flexible colour-wise?

I take it you've never played Nova Blast or Moon Patrol or Defender on a Colecovision? They don't have slow, chunky scrolling. First generation launch titles like Zaxxon had chunky scrolling. Moon Patrol has smooth scrolling with 3 layers of parallax. If Imagic and Atarisoft were able to figure out how to do it on the CV then it should be possible on the TI-99 as well, right? I'm aware of the C-64's impressive(on paper) specs. As a non-programmer I have to go on what I see and I've played the CV versions of many games and then loaded up the C64 versions to compare and the C64 version usually look much worse. I would expect them to look better considering all the extra memory available and better specs, yet they almost never do.

Also, is there a composite video hack so I can get rid of the RF box and enjoy a super clear picture?
No hack needed; the A/V jack already gives you audio and video signals. If you have the right cable, there's no need to open the machine or use the touchy RF modulator. Here is a website with pinouts and instructions on how to build your own cable, or if you don't feel like building one yourself, new cables show up on eBay fairly frequently.

No hack needed; the A/V jack already gives you audio and video signals. If you have the right cable, there's no need to open the machine or use the touchy RF modulator. Here is a website with pinouts and instructions on how to build your own cable, or if you don't feel like building one yourself, new cables show up on eBay fairly frequently.

The VIC-20, Commodore 64, and Atari 800 all used the same type of connector as the TI. I had a universal monitor cable from back in the day that had three RCA jacks on it. Depending on which computer you owned, you'd use one for video and one for audio. There was a decent amount of compatibility across the platforms video cable wise. So hopefully, you can locate a Commodore video cable and see if that will work. If it's not immediately compatible, the TI won't start up. That's what would happen if I tried plugging in the wrong RCA plug to a television. Nothing but a black screen. You'll have to open up the cable and hack it.

I seem to recall reading something somewhere about Tomy Tutor/Pyuuta titles that someone ported to the TI-99. Does anyone know about this and where they can be downloaded. I would love to have a multicart for the TI-99 with all these hard to find titles on it.

Toucan was selling a floppy for the TI that had Tomy Tutor games on it. I don't see how it'd play, considering the Tutor/Pyuuta used a faster processor running at 2.2Mhz (clocked down from the TMS9640's native speed of 10.2Mhz) and a more advanced video processor. Toucan was also selling a floppy with Colecovision games on it, which is another one I have a hard time imagining working well. The TI and Colecovision used the same video chip, but not the main processor. The Colecovision's Z80 was supposed to be faster and more efficient than TI's TMS9900 CPU.

I still have those games actually. The Colecovision games do run slow, unless used on a TI-99/8 which does operate faster. Someone was playing Antartic Adventure on the TI that I know, which is on these disks along with Mr.Do! and such. I never got them to work, since the guy had a MAXIMEM device which is like a cartridge dumper (can load/save TI cartridge games into it and such). I'll see if I can dig up his info on-line. As to the Tomy Tutor, the TMS9918ANL graphics chip is not more advanced than the TMS9918A (I used to think this too). As I found out, the NL stands for the casing/operating temperature. Basically, the TMS9918ANL could operate in hot environments. So if you live in an area that gets up to 158°F then it could make a difference :) I guess Death Valley would need the ANL chip come to think of it.

N=plastic

JD=ceramic

L=0 to 158°F

H=0 to 131°F

E=-40 to 185°F

I seem to recall reading something somewhere about Tomy Tutor/Pyuuta titles that someone ported to the TI-99. Does anyone know about this and where they can be downloaded. I would love to have a multicart for the TI-99 with all these hard to find titles on it.

Toucan was selling a floppy for the TI that had Tomy Tutor games on it. I don't see how it'd play, considering the Tutor/Pyuuta used a faster processor running at 2.2Mhz (clocked down from the TMS9640's native speed of 10.2Mhz) and a more advanced video processor. Toucan was also selling a floppy with Colecovision games on it, which is another one I have a hard time imagining working well. The TI and Colecovision used the same video chip, but not the main processor. The Colecovision's Z80 was supposed to be faster and more efficient than TI's TMS9900 CPU.

Edited by Toucan

I take it you've never played Nova Blast or Moon Patrol or Defender on a Colecovision? They don't have slow, chunky scrolling. First generation launch titles like Zaxxon had chunky scrolling. Moon Patrol has smooth scrolling with 3 layers of parallax. If Imagic and Atarisoft were able to figure out how to do it on the CV then it should be possible on the TI-99 as well, right?

You're right, I don't have those games in my modest ~35 cartridge collection. However, I was able to download and play them on the real thing thanks to my CV USB flash cart. They do scroll very smoothly, but they all use the same trick - only a fraction of the background is actually changing on any given update.

This method couldn't be applied to CV games with more detailed, full(ish) screen scrolling like Cosmic Avenger, Zaxxon, or Looping.

I'm aware of the C-64's impressive(on paper) specs. As a non-programmer I have to go on what I see and I've played the CV versions of many games and then loaded up the C64 versions to compare and the C64 version usually look much worse. I would expect them to look better considering all the extra memory available and better specs, yet they almost never do.

The C-64 doesn't have much more to offer towards many 1982-1983 style games than the ColecoVision or the TI-99/4a do. It would often come down to what particular port had the best programmer and artist working on it, and in 1982 and 1983 the C64 was brand new, so there wasn't much programmer experience on it, nor a big market for C64 games.

The C-64 more than lives up to it's promise on paper later in it's life. If you want to see the C-64 at it's technical best, check out Mayhem in Monsterland or Turrican II.

You're right, I don't have those games in my modest ~35 cartridge collection. However, I was able to download and play them on the real thing thanks to my CV USB flash cart. They do scroll very smoothly, but they all use the same trick - only a fraction of the background is actually changing on any given update.

This method couldn't be applied to CV games with more detailed, full(ish) screen scrolling like Cosmic Avenger, Zaxxon, or Looping.

Yes, there are compromises you would have to make with the graphics but it could be made to scroll smoothly or at least smoother. The 5200/A8/C64 versions of Zaxxon have much less detailed backgrounds. If Coleco made their background look like the 5200 version it would probably scroll better.

The C-64 doesn't have much more to offer towards many 1982-1983 style games than the ColecoVision or the TI-99/4a do. It would often come down to what particular port had the best programmer and artist working on it, and in 1982 and 1983 the C64 was brand new, so there wasn't much programmer experience on it, nor a big market for C64 games.

The C-64 more than lives up to it's promise on paper later in it's life. If you want to see the C-64 at it's technical best, check out Mayhem in Monsterland or Turrican II.

The CV came out in the same year so it would've been just as new to programmers. I compared Buck Rogers, Burgertime, Defender, Galaxian, Gorf, Tarzan, Frogger, Gyruss, jungle hunt, mont revenge, mr do, pac man, qbert, spy hunter, tapper, zaxxon. Some of these were done by the same company on both systems. The CV was only around for a couple years so I can't compare any 1991 or 1993 CV games.

Thanks for all of the replies regarding the video cable, I think I have a Din to 3 RCA plug cable buried somewhere, I'll dig it out and give it a go otherwise I'll build one as per the link from Jaybird3rd.

Thanks guys.

I wanted to add that a Colecovision PS will power up and work with a 99/4A. I tried it on mine a few years back. So you might have a bad TI, especially since you mentioned the red power light came on and nothing on the TV.

Edited by Toucan

• 1 month later...
The CV came out in the same year so it would've been just as new to programmers. I compared Buck Rogers, Burgertime, Defender, Galaxian, Gorf, Tarzan, Frogger, Gyruss, jungle hunt, mont revenge, mr do, pac man, qbert, spy hunter, tapper, zaxxon. Some of these were done by the same company on both systems.

Rule #1 on comparing gaming systems: NEVER compare ported games. They will not show you the strengths of a system because they are not designed for the system. Always try to find the best games of each system and not just ports.

i'm getting the power supply from the tex*treasures, and i'm getting a bunch of games in the mail within the next few days.

One more question: will 2600 controllers work with the TI? Looks like the same plug in.

You have to have an adapter to use 2600 sticks. The TI sticks are crap and most of the time don't work anymore since the internal contacts seem to be just metallic paint on a sheet of flexible plastic.

I have to agree, get the adapter the TI joysticks are not that pleasant to use and seem fairly flimsy although I haven't broken a set yet. The TI joysticks combine 2 sticks into 1 plug. I've seen both 1 joystick adapters & Y cable adapters.

Yes yes yes! Those TI joysticks SUCK!! I use this aftemarket one I got with mine. Its blue and black, with two red fire buttons on the front face. It says pro stick 3 on the top cover. And you can change it from 4 way to 8 way. It really works like a charm!!

• Thanks 1

Sure... The 256x192 graphics is a limitation (the 64 was 320x200) but it had 32 sprites, to the 64's 8.

I have to disagree. The TI99/4A had 4 sprites each sized 16x16 pixels, hardware multiplexed to 32. The C64 had 8 sprites each sized 24x21 pixels where it would depend on the software of much they are multiplexed. There are very technical demos which show up to 112 sprites, but ofcourse for games the amount of approx. 30 is more realistic due to the 8 sprites per scanline restriction.

so am i going to have fun with this machine or not? I got the power supply coming within a couple days as well as some controllers. But I don't know what games to get for this, i'm trying to win an auction that has a couple games and some educational stuff.

The games are Parsec and Yahtzee, the other 4 are educational programs, but are the 2 games any fun? Any you guys could recommend.

I'm more of a console gamer and have just recently started to get into the older home computers.

There are some really rockin' TI games. Donkey Kong is quite good on the 4a, and Munch Man, TI Invaders, and Car Wars are quite decent, although deriviative games. Blasto is by far my favorite game on the system and really captures the instant-gratification, beat your previous score mentality of 80's games.

... Munch Man, TI Invaders, and Car Wars are quite decent, although deriviative games.

Don't you mean "high-profile bootleg games"?

I think Munch Man is the only one of the 3 to make any effort at being an original title, and that's just barely.

• 2 weeks later...

The TI-99/4A is totally underrated and completely overlooked as a classic gaming system. If you dig through all the educational titles, there's a bunch of great, Colecovision quality games on the system and arcade exclusives. I wish I had gotten a TI-99/4a back in the day when they were blowing them out for $50 new and games were easy to find. I'm glad I discovered it through emulation now though. I'd take a TI-99/4a as a gaming system over a lot of the other classic consoles that get more respect.

That's when I got my first one. There was always a lot of good looking games that required Extended Basic, but they were always very expensive.

The TI-99/4A is totally underrated and completely overlooked as a classic gaming system. If you dig through all the educational titles, there's a bunch of great, Colecovision quality games on the system and arcade exclusives. I wish I had gotten a TI-99/4a back in the day when they were blowing them out for $50 new and games were easy to find. I'm glad I discovered it through emulation now though. I'd take a TI-99/4a as a gaming system over a lot of the other classic consoles that get more respect.

That's when I got my first one. There was always a lot of good looking games that required Extended Basic, but they were always very expensive.

Not to mention the Extended Basic cart was always in short supply. It seemed like the more necessary the cart, the harder it was to find.

Tempest

Really? I used to see the Extended BASIC cart in stores all the time. I've got three of them, at least. One of them is a 3rd party version, in an Atarisoft shaped case.

Only later on. When it was first released it was really hard to find. I guess some places may have gotten more than other though.

Isn't the 3rd party version a super extended basic or something like that by data biotics?

Tempest

I think there wasa third party of Xtened basic but I don't remember seeing it.

anywho, if you get your hands on extened basic cart you can make some really cool games, my first three games I did was on in extended basic(I did a coll baseball game,where you tell what player will catch the ball ball in the fields instaed of the computer,superman based on the second movie, and of course my baby,Laserman a tempest/space invaders game) plus me and my buddy made a real cool demo using graphics,sound and speech.

Also all my games have the speech option since Speech can be used in Xbasic as long you have the speach synthansizer.

for some cool Ti-information go here

http://www.99er.net/ti.shtml

I believe the third-party Extended BASIC that I have is by DataBiotics. I think I recall that there was another company making a version, too, around 1986 or so. I think I saw it in a Triton mail-order catalog (maybe by Asgard Software?). But it wasn't in an Atarisoft shell like the one I have. Maybe it's the same thing, just with a new cartridge shell after they ran out of Atari shells.