IGNORED

TI-99/4a

The only software I'm aware of that TI released for free distribution (but didn't release into the public domain) was the prototype software for the unreleased 99/8. This was posted on the TI Online User Group a couple years ago:

Sir,

TI is pleased to grant you permission to copy and distribute any TI copyrighted program written specifically for the TI-99/8 home computer, including the ROM for the console. This permission is conditioned upon your agreement not to alter the copyright notice in the program and to include the copyright notice with each copy you make and distribute. This permission does not apply to any program bearing the copyright notice of any party other than TI. You agree to include a separate notice with each copy you distribute that such distribution is made under license from Texas Instruments.

TI makes no warranty with respect to the program and is under no obligation to provide any support or assistance with respect to the programs. TI is under no obligation to provide upgrades to the programs.

TI accepts no liability with respect to your use, copying or distribution of the programs.

Regards,

Herbert W. Foster

Manager, E&PS Business Services

I remember seeing a bunch of C&D letters and e-mails from the author of this letter to distributors of 99/4A software, so they're obviously still interested in protecting those properties. I can't see them ever doing anything with them, though; there's probably nobody left at TI that was involved with the 99/4A, and TI would probably just as soon forget it ever existed.

I remember seeing a bunch of C&D letters and e-mails from the author of this letter to distributors of 99/4A software, so they're obviously still interested in protecting those properties. I can't see them ever doing anything with them, though; there's probably nobody left at TI that was involved with the 99/4A, and TI would probably just as soon forget it ever existed.

Yeah... I can't figure out why they give a crap that people are pirating Parsec, theefing Tunnels of Doom, and downloading Disk Manager. But they do, and they seem to care a lot more than companies that are actually USING their old IP.

It is weird that they would seem to prefer to keep the IP and not make any commercial benefit from it, and not consider the potential benefit from the goodwill that releasing the code into the Public Domain could bring them.

Then again, what consumer products do TI offer, other than calculators, would get a sales benefit from goodwill in regards to gamers/collectors?

It is weird that they would seem to prefer to keep the IP and not make any commercial benefit from it, and not consider the potential benefit from the goodwill that releasing the code into the Public Domain could bring them.

Then again, what consumer products do TI offer, other than calculators, would get a sales benefit from goodwill in regards to gamers/collectors?

The only thing I can think of that's really visible to the public aside from calculators is DLP.

Even ignoring the good/ill-will issue, it's still a waste of legal department cash to fight 99 piracy.

is there a site that has all the game roms to download? I miss playing this

There is now :) I just started one at http://ti99.freewebpage.org/ . Go there and get your fill of goodies. There are still a number of games missing, such as "Meteor Belt" and "Bigfoot" to name a few (which were very good games!). I'll see if I can get ROMs for those somehow to the site.

• Thanks 1