IGNORED

Intellivision Diner Question

jaybird3rd

I noticed something interesting about my Intellivision Diner cartridge. I opened it up to clean it and to get rid of some loose plastic, and here is the circuit board:

mvc_001f.jpg

Take a look at the chip at the top of the board:

mvc_002f.jpg

Triple Challenge was a cartridge that combined three earlier releases (Chess, Checkers, and Backgammon) into one cart, along with the extra RAM that Chess required. What would a Triple Challenge chip be doing inside a Diner cartridge? I thought it might be a leftover RAM chip, but I've never heard anything about Diner requiring extra RAM.

Edited by jaybird3rd

Look at the part numbers, they're sequential. Apparently someone goofed when he filled out the mask ROM order and put the wrong game title on the form.

Now try opening up a Triple Challenge cart... :-)

I noticed the sequential part numbers, too, but I guess a mislabeled chip was almost too simple an explanation; I was thinking it had to be something more complicated or unusual. :)

I'd love to be able to even own a Triple Challenge cartridge, much less look inside one, but they seem to be even harder to find than Diner these days.

• 11 years later...

OK, this is a serious necro-bump, given that I'm just now seeing this thread thanks to a web search.

I do have a Triple Challenge cart somewhere, although I'd be hard pressed to find it at the moment.

That said: Both Diner and Triple Challenge are 16K x 10-bit games, and so need two 8K x 10-bit ROMs. If that Diner cart plays correctly, then I'd expect that it really is just a case of mislabeled ROMs.