IGNORED

Just got a 7800 (WOOHOO!)

nathanallan

So now what can I do to expand it? I have decent soldering skills and am not afraid of electronics. I need to fix the power connector, it's broken but otherwise it looks to be in totally workable condition. Any suggestions? I'll be reading threads meanwhile.

Thanks!

Nathan

expand it by throwing it in the garbage, 7800 for 7800 games is terrible, but good if you don't have a 2600.

o,O

You can do an audio/video mod, there's several online if you google it as well as the 8bitdomain A/V board.

Oh, and get yourself a Cuttle Cart 2. Best investment you can ever make.

I read in one thread that one guy was about to be conned about the expansion bay, okay, what *can* be done with it?

The sound mod sounds like a good one, I'm looking that up.

General question, were the controllers for this pretty much the same as the 2600 ones? This came with one, and it practically fell apart on me :( Are the original flashback controllers very good quality? I was thinking of replacing them with those (I'm all about function, not a collector, really).

Um, I would never EVER throw an Atari away. UNless it looks like it's been run over by a truck, no TWO trucks, and then I would try to make the best of it.

Is the email notify working in the forums?? I didn't get any notice that there were any replies this morning. :?:

Nathan

expand it by throwing it in the garbage, 7800 for 7800 games is terrible, but good if you don't have a 2600.

I will dispose of one of my many 7800 consoles as your suggesting if you promise not to post here anymore. Sound like a fair deal? I don't mind taking one for the team.

I read in one thread that one guy was about to be conned about the expansion bay, okay, what *can* be done with it?

The sound mod sounds like a good one, I'm looking that up.

General question, were the controllers for this pretty much the same as the 2600 ones? This came with one, and it practically fell apart on me :( Are the original flashback controllers very good quality? I was thinking of replacing them with those (I'm all about function, not a collector, really).

Um, I would never EVER throw an Atari away. UNless it looks like it's been run over by a truck, no TWO trucks, and then I would try to make the best of it.

Is the email notify working in the forums?? I didn't get any notice that there were any replies this morning. :?:

Nathan

The 7800 joysticks came with two buttons, and some 7800 games need both. However, if the game only needs one button, you can use the normal atari joysticks on it. The original flashback controllers work off of NES hardware, the atari wouldn't reconize it. However, the Flashback 2 joysticks... work perfectly.

lol, Collector is the ZylonBane of the 7800 :D

Oh dear God I hope not :(

Well he did join 3 days ago... so you never know...

Christian you wanna call in an Air Strike for me :ponder:

I don't have that many stripes to be able to do that...

While I haven't modded my 7800, I think you'll be pretty happy with it. Keep in mind, it's not an NES replacement; most of the games are quite different (good & bad). Arcade action is very good. And I second the motion that you get a Cuttle Cart 2. It allows you to play a plethora of hacks & homebrews, many of which are very good.

lol, Collector is the ZylonBane of the 7800 :D

Oh dear God I hope not :(

Well he did join 3 days ago... so you never know...

Christian you wanna call in an Air Strike for me :ponder:

If he won't, I'll call in a battleship. I spent two terms in the US Navy, I should at least try to defend, right?

And please don't give ZylonBane any more ammo to get into trouble with...or I'll have to call in a carrier and an air strike of my own.

To the subject at hand: Flashback 1 controllers could be modded.

Your best bet, far and away, is the Radica Space Invaders game. It costs about $5 and game stop carries it. Hang on to the guts of that Pro Line stick, as you will need them. Later, when you don't want to tear up a good Pro Line, a few parts and a Genesis extension cord will do the trick.

It's takes a bit of time to mod the RSI game, but the results are awesome. I used RSI and a busted NES pad to make a controller for my NES, and as soon as I get my hands on the parts, I'm going to mod that controller so it can switch from NES to 7800 operation.

When you decide to mod the console, plan out what you'd like to do and have all the parts handy. I don't recommend opening the console more than once. In fact, that's why I haven't done any external mods like adding a TV Type switch. I don't want to risk tearing the case up on my 7800. If it were a little torn up already, I wouldn't mind, but the thing is in excellent condition on the outside and I don't want to ruin that.

also, there are a couple of mods you can do to the cartridge port. One is to cut the sides of the sleeve so it will expand when Imagic and Activision titles are inserted. The other is to cut part of the port itself out so that the pins on a Tigervision cartridge will clear it. I haven't done the Tigervision mod yet, but I did the Imagic one, and my Imagic carts fit like a glove.

You might be able to wire a toggle switch across the Pause button. Closing the switch with a 2600 game running will simulate the TV Type switch on the 2600. You'd want to open it for Color mode or to play 7800 games.

For a dust guard, gut a third generation 2600 cartridge and drop the re assembled cart case into the slot on the 7800 as though the "game" was going to be played. That's why it always appears that Ms Pac Man is ready to play on my 7800, when, in fact, it is not.

Buy an RCA to coax adapter and stick it on the end of the RF cable if you don't do the video mod. Instant clarity will be yours, and you can chuck that bulky switchbox into the trash.

If you're interested in upgrading the hardware, look in Kenfused's thread "Atari 7800 hardware survey."

If instead you are interested in playing a great game, ask Kenfused to sell you a copy of Beef Drop.

Just a side note, I've done good business with both keilbaca and Shawn Sr. I don't know if they are willing to mod a 7800 for you, but if you get in over your head, you might ask.

Edited by shadow460

Buy an RCA to coax adapter and stick it on the end of the RF cable if you don't do the video mod. Instant clarity will be yours, and you can chuck that bulky switchbox into the trash.

Don't do this. Buy an rca male to F-connector (coax) female and stick it into the rca plug on the 7800. I picked one up from Radio Shack on clearance. Then use a coax cable instead

of an rca cable and connect it to your tv. The coax cable will keep out RF interference much better than any RCA type cable and you should have a pretty reasonable signal all things

considered.

Don't do this. Buy an rca male to F-connector (coax) female and stick it into the rca plug on the 7800. I picked one up from Radio Shack on clearance. Then use a coax cable instead

of an rca cable and connect it to your tv. The coax cable will keep out RF interference much better than any RCA type cable and you should have a pretty reasonable signal all things

considered.

Did I just hear a negative echo? :?

What I found the best to fit the red label carts and the Imagic carts, is to open it up, and cut both the left side and right side of the plastic "guard" to insert the cart. This allows the clearance and seperation to allow what they're talking about, without breaking either the cart or the cart slot of the 7800.

And I also second notion only opening up the 7800 once. I opened up mine several times.. and the screw holes are so damn flimsy, it'll only stay together now with tape, all the screw holes are broken off.

I'll definitely check out the hardware survey thread. I didn't realise about the coax-rca, it makes perfect sense to do that and use a coax cable.

I looked again at the controller that fell apart, and found that the threads are stripped but tape oughta fix it, and the button fell off but it was only missing a spring, and I can get one from a ball piont clicky pen.

I don't mind cutting the case a bit but there are plenty of spare carts that I can get to, so it might not be necessary, as I can re-case them. And so far I think I've opened the case three times, and I see what you mean about the threads. Still good, but going. I was actually thinking of gluing on (making it look nice) some small hinges and latches so I can get rid of the screws and just click it shut. Kinda like a plastic toolcase.

I'll check out gamestop, but I've never seen anything in there but the newest and slickest, but I'll ask. Maybe online.

I have the FB2 joysticks as well as original 2600 controllers. I'll see about fixing the controller I got and maybe scouting out another one. Or maybe get a cheap FB1 and scavenge and mod the controllers (glowing stick and buttons??? :D) I'd like to keep the two buttons.

What about wireless games for these things?? I have a mouser catalog and wireless 'implantable' chips are really cheap, less than $10 sometimes. Can a wireless chip be put in a cart with a custom game, then somebody with a similar setup play head-to-head? Sounds impossible and impractical, but it's an idea. Two screens are always better than one, imho.

I'll definitely be looking around your suggestions, thanks!!!! (I hope I didn't forget anybody)

Hmm.. I was about to call in SF but with a battleship and airstrike on the way, it'd be a waste of MRE's. I'm ex-army.

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

I actually rather like my 7800, it dont get out much but it is a classy console just wished they had released in in 1984. It would have wiped the floor with the competition. Well that is Atari for you.

Pity I have not go a clue about the technical aspects of this post, that means I cannot answer the main points.....

considered.

No, what he's saying is to put the adapter on the 7800 itself instead of on the end of the RF cable (well, the RCA type cable), and run a typical coax cable from the 7800 to the TV. Although the wya I did it suits me, this should cut out still more interference than tmy way.

The main difference here is the type of cable going from the 7800 to the TV. I've the stock cable, but garf has a coax.

considered.

No, what he's saying is to put the adapter on the 7800 itself instead of on the end of the RF cable (well, the RCA type cable), and run a typical coax cable from the 7800 to the TV. Although the wya I did it suits me, this should cut out still more interference than tmy way.

The main difference here is the type of cable going from the 7800 to the TV. I've the stock cable, but garf has a coax.

Exactly! I was thinking of doing the video mod to my 7800 and getting the svideo/composite out but I am happy with the coax solution at the moment and am using the funds that would have bought the mod board to buy my 5200, rollerball, and atarimax! Okay so maybe all that cost more than a video mod but the beast inside me is being awakened. It should all get here Wednesday. W00h00!!! :-)