IGNORED

Best selling Atari games of all time?

godzillajoe

I'm surprised to see 2600 Donkey Kong in so many lists. It may have been a hit for Coleco, but was it really among the top 10 sellers across the board?

Remember that it was the pack-in game for the Gemini console for a long time (later replaced by Mouse Trap). Like Combat, that would account for a signifcant chunk of the total sales.

Many of the copies I've seen have the "Not for Resale"-type sticker on them indicating that it came with the system.

Edited by jhd

It is really sad to see Pacman rubbish sold that lot. I mean that kernel is indeed the rubbish thing and I do not care how difficult it is to make a maze game on 2600. We have games like Lock 'n' Chase that spit on Pac Man rubbish any time of the day and you still have to read here that Pac Man sold this and that. Clear example you can do anything with mass markets when you do brain washing the right way... RRoD Kinect anyone? nerds...

This List is From Wikipedia:

1. PAC-MAN

2. PITFALL!

3. MISSILE COMMAND

4. DEMON ATTACK

5. E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL

6. ATLANTIS

7. ADVENTURE

8. RIVER RAID

9. KABOOM!

10. SPACE INVADERS

I've seen this list before and I just have trouble believing it. I know it's only anecdotal evidence, but in my wanderings I have come across so many copies of Asteroids and Defender, especially Asteroids, that I can't fathom those two not being in the top 5, much less the top 10.

Pacman,Space Invaders,Combat and Yars Revenge were the most common carts i remember people owning as a kid,Pitfall! and The Empire Strikes Back was the most popular non-Atari games i remember people owning, but despite the popularity of a Classic like Pitfall i just cannot imagine it selling more than the most common Atari carts.

• 13 years later...
On 7/23/2006 at 8:01 PM, godzillajoe said:

I'm guessing this has been discussed before but is there a list of games for the 2600 that sold the most copies in the USA

I gotta figure Pac-Man is king and Pitfall, Adventure, Asteroids, Missile Command have gotta be up there.

Maybe E.T., Demon Attack, Ms. Pac-Man, River Raid after that?

Anyone know of such a list?

18 Years Later

https://web.archive.org/web/20240521210221/https://www.vgchartz.com/article/250871/the-best-selling-atari-2600-games-of-all-time/

2 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

So Air Raid outsold Boxing by selling 770,000 copies.  I cannot believe all you chumps who spent thousands of dollars on a game that sold over half a million copies.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

So Air Raid outsold Boxing by selling 770,000 copies.  I cannot believe all you chumps who spent thousands of dollars on a game that sold over half a million copies.

Yeah.  Like Air Raid outsold Activision's Ice Hockey.  Give me a break.  I've seen Ice Hockey turn up in thrift stores a hundred times.  But I only ever found Air Raid once!

-Ben

Posted (edited)

I think I see what you guys mean.  Eight years ago, guys were pointing out similar hard-to-believe sales numbers in that article.  

On 1/27/2016 at 8:09 PM, CapitanClassic said:

...this list exists and says 27 titles sold 1 million, but it also says Custer's Revenge sold 820k units, which is highly doubtable.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250871/the-best-selling-atari-2600-games-of-all-time/

Edited by Living Room Arcade

Posted (edited)
On 2/18/2011 at 10:51 PM, Rik said:

From several sources including from someone at Atari,the top selling game by Atari of all time is 2600 PACMAN.The rest have been already mentioned.Not sure about the others, i'm sure the ones already mentioned are pretty accurate.

i believe you can download sales figures for 2600 titles from an archive.org of some old website (it's in the references page on the wikipedia page for the 2600) and yeah, Pac-Man was a consistent seller even into the later years, obviously not as much as Ms Pac Man but some did get it...

Also in 1990-91 52 people bought ET for the 2600... Those are the kinds of people i wanna party with...

Also some book said that Double Dragon 2600 sold 500K units? If you can find these sources yourself. Honestly the latter might just be something they said to the conversion guys (Dan Kitchen?) to make them feel better after having to put Double Dragon on a 1977 console. :P

Edited by Maztr_0n
joke?