IGNORED

Genesis controller on 7800

BONK

It's perfectly fine to use Genesis controls on the 7800, the only drawback is only 1 button will work.

I don't know anything about the SMS, but I've heard that 7800 controls don't work on it. If you're using 6-button Genesis controls, maybe you need to hold down the "Mode" button while you turn on the SMS. I have no idea if Genesis controls are even supposed to work on the SMS.

There are some Genesis games (at least "Golden Axe II" to name one) which have control problems with the 6-button pad. Holding down the "Mode" button during startup will put the controller in legacy 3-button mode.

I also have some NES controllers that have been converted for the 7800. Both buttons will work on these controller. I'm not sure who, if anyone, still makes these though.

I used to make them quite a bit. Then I started running into a problem with the diagonals not wanting to work reliably on all the controllers I converted so I just gave up and quit making them. I believe I have sold about 50-60 of them. There was also another member around here that would make them and paint them black and put a 7800 type logo on it.

I have no idea if Genesis controls are even supposed to work on the SMS.

There's at least 7 US SMS games where you can't use genesis controllers (either on the Power Base or PBC) because they produce a switching signal on controller pin 7. The games are:

Alien Syndrome

Bomber Raid

Great Volleyball

Monty's Revenge

Shang-hai

Carmen SD

Wonderboy in Monster Land

Penguin Land?

Tennis Ace?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

2 resistors and a few cut traces and your genny pad is a fully functional 7800 pad with both buttns working. Hell you can even route the buttons on the 3 button to start and C as well so you don't have useless buttons :)

What's with all the complex (compared to this) circuitry that people keep coming up with, then, if this is all it takes? Not trying to be rude here, just trying to wrap my head around it. Why use transistors and ICs when you can just use resistors?

2 resistors and a few cut traces and your genny pad is a fully functional 7800 pad with both buttns working. Hell you can even route the buttons on the 3 button to start and C as well so you don't have useless buttons :)

What's with all the complex (compared to this) circuitry that people keep coming up with, then, if this is all it takes? Not trying to be rude here, just trying to wrap my head around it. Why use transistors and ICs when you can just use resistors?

Adapter do not modify the internal circuit of the controller, so you can still use your gen pad on a Sega genesis. If you modify your pad by cutting trace then it will only work with the 7800.

Going the IC route is my preferred method personally.

Btw making an adapter for gen to 7800 is pretty easy and so their are many way to do it. Here mine with a standard triple 2-channel multiplexer:

gen_2_7800.png

;)

Edited by DarthCloud