IGNORED

Vertical or Horizontal question PS2....

Ok Guys & Girls, I need your opinions here. I recently bought a PS2 and I'm starting to hear some pretty wierd things.

I'm told that it won't work properly unless it's vertical. So far mine is working pretty good on the horizontal (my DCast is on top of it), but I've heard this from a few different sources: "a buddy of mine says that he has to have his PS2 vertical for it to work.", etc...

Can anyone clear this up for me? If this is indeed the case then I've lost all faith in Sony (what little I had anyway); How in the hell can you make a front loading system that doesn't work like.... oh a front loading system???

I'd compare it to looking at a oh, let's say a 2600 (any model) and immedietly assuming, gee that thing needs to be on its SIDE to work!

Please tell me I've been misinformed, or I'll be getting rid of the PS2 pretty quickly.

As always,

Markimus of K.

PS: See what you get when you mess around with new-fangled things?

We have many PS2 debug stations (they look like normal PS2s except they play DVD-Rs, which we burn for testing) and some of the units will only work either horizontally or vertically. I haven't had a problem with my PS2 at home, which I've used in both positions for extended periods of time.

The PS2 was designed to work either horizontally or vertically, so this shouldn't be a problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case with all units. I'm not sure what you can do if you have one that doesn't work one way or the other, except exchanging it for another unit if you can.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

I don't have a PS2 myself...but I bet if one were to really take a look at the issue, that you might find that the ones that only work Horz...or Vertically may be using different manufactures for the drive units themselves? I know for instance that on my Saturns that I have seen...I have seen JVC, Sony, and Sanyo drives used on Saturns. And they were made this way at the factory. So has anybody looked into that?

Given that Sony manufactures all kinds of DVD drives (for PCs and standalone players) I would really hope that they are using their own drives and not outsourcing them to another company. Certainly Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are forced to get their parts from elsewhere, but I can't imagine Sony using someone else's DVD drives. But, hey, stranger things have happened.

..Al

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Albert ]

I don't have a PS2 myself...but I bet if one were to really take a look at the issue, that you might find that the ones that only work Horz...or Vertically may be using different manufactures for the drive units themselves? I know for instance that on my Saturns that I have seen...I have seen JVC, Sony, and Sanyo drives used on Saturns. And they were made this way at the factory. So has anybody looked into that?

I seemed to have missed the start of this conversation. Oh well, here goes.

I have heard that the reason that some PS2's will only work in one direction is that after having been run for a long time in either horizontal or vertical position, the DVD drive plastics settle into position for that position operation and will not work in another position.

It isn't that the DVD drives are cheap, it is just that the plastic is

I'm told that it won't work properly unless it's vertical.

I have a friend who bought a new PS2 back in November. She found that it would occasionally lock up while playing a DVD or a game, and the only fix was a reboot.

Ithen read in December in an issue of GamePro that if the unit is stood vertically the discs do not always spin smoothly, so I suggested that she move it from vertical to horizontal. She tried this and it helped some, but not completely.

She then swapped the machine for a new PS2 under warranty. Guess what? The new machine freezes up as well, though not as often.

I asked her about this just a week or so ago and she said that she now keeps it horizontal and it doesn't look up too often, maybe one movie out of 10 or so.

quote:

Originally posted by Markimus of K.:

Ok Guys & Girls, I need your opinions here. I recently bought a PS2 and I'm starting to hear some pretty wierd things.

I'm told that it won't work properly unless it's vertical. So far mine is working pretty good on the horizontal (my DCast is on top of it), but I've heard this from a few different sources: "a buddy of mine says that he has to have his PS2 vertical for it to work.", etc...

Can anyone clear this up for me? If this is indeed the case then I've lost all faith in Sony (what little I had anyway); How in the hell can you make a front loading system that doesn't work like.... oh a front loading system???

I'd compare it to looking at a oh, let's say a 2600 (any model) and immedietly assuming, gee that thing needs to be on its SIDE to work!

Please tell me I've been misinformed, or I'll be getting rid of the PS2 pretty quickly.

As always,

Markimus of K.

PS: See what you get when you mess around with new-fangled things?

M friend has a ps2, and some of his games wont work corectly. To get them to work he has to post one side of his ps2 up, with a book or something. I wonder why the ps2 does that? It has trouble reading the disk I guess.

Well I have 2 PS2 (PAL and and NTSC) - both work just dandy from the get go - either horizontally or vertically...

I have used debug stations from day one - and these have been pretty reliable too -given they run 24/7

I've not seen any problems with machines except where they get a good knock - then the DVD mech (which is much more precise/sensitive than a CD one) can get outta alignment. Machines that have taken a tumble OFTEN only work in one plane...

sTeVE