IGNORED

No Wii DVD playback.

Cheese007

At E3 2005, Nintendo showed off its next-generation console, then code-named "Revolution." Besides being the successor to the GameCube, the machine was to be the first Nintendo console to offer the potential for DVD playback. (NOTE: Panasonic did make a DVD-playing GameCube known as the Q for sale in Asia.)

Games for the Revolution, which has since been rechristened the Wii, would come on discs the same size as DVDs, and not the smaller, proprietary-format discs used by the GameCube. So when the console was first announced, Nintendo announced that the console was capable of playing DVD movies, although it would require an "attachment" to do so.

The inclusion of possbilty DVD support was a major change of course for Nintendo, which had previously derided attempts by rivals Microsoft and Sony to bill their consoles as online-enabled multimedia devices. But when Nintendo announced a whole host of functions for its next-gen device today, many industry-watchers felt the company had finally embraced the concept of a console being used for other forms of entertainment than games.

Then, a funny thing happened. Nintendo released the final specs for the Wii--and nowhere did they mention anything about DVDs. In fact, the company described the console's disc drive as: "A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for the Wii console, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube discs."

The omission of any mention of DVDs let some to believe that Nintendo had decided to abandon any attempt to have the Wii support DVD playback. As it turns out, those skeptics were right. Today, Nintendo confirmed to GameSpot that the Wii will have no DVD playback, and will not have an option for a DVD dongle or add-on in its current form.

"They were originally considering an external [DVD] attachment," a rep for the company said of the Wii's designers. "But because the price of DVD players has dropped so much and they have become so commonplace, Nintendo saw no need to create extra hardware options that would drive up the cost for consumers."

That said, other than the multimedia features, the Wii remains largely the same as before. It will still sport four GameCube controller ports, two GameCube memory-card slots, two USB 2.0 ports, and an SD Card slot. Its IEEE802.11 Wi-Fi capability will let it communicate wirelessly with the DS handheld or the Internet, and it still doesn't have high-definition video output, though it will support component and S-Video output.

A complete run-down of Wii's technical specifications--quoted directly from Nintendo--is below:

WII Launch Date and MSRP: Nov. 19, 2006, in the Americas at an MSRP of $249.99.

Color: White.

Size: About 8.5 inches long, 6 inches wide and less than two inches thick (157mm x 215.4mm x 44mm).

Controls: "Up to four Wii Remote controllers can be connected at once using wireless Bluetooth technology. The wireless signal can be detected within 10 meters of the console. Both the Wii remote and Nunchuk controllers include a three-axis motion sensor. The Wii Remote controller also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port, and can be used as a pointer within 5 meters of the screen. The Wii Remote controller has a power switch, plus pad, A, B, Minus, Home, 1 and 2 buttons. The Nunchuk controller includes an analog control stick and C and Z buttons."

The Look: "The Wii console features a compact design that...can be displayed either vertically or horizontally."

Media: "A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for the Wii console, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube discs."

Channels: "The Wii Channel Menu is the main gateway for a variety of...interactive multimedia, entertainment and communication functions."

Communication: "The Wii console can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. The WiiConnect24 service [content and game updates] even if the system is idle. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. The Wii console also can communicate wirelessly with the Nintendo DS."

Virtual Console: "The Wii console will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a 'best of' selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafix 16 console. It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers."

The Specs: "The Wii console has 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capability. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. Design was optimized with state-of-the-art processing technologies that minimize power consumption, keep the console compact and enable the 'sleepless' WiiConnect24 mode."

CPU: "PowerPC CPU (code-named "Broadway") Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM."

Graphics Processing Unit: "Being developed with ATI."

Other Features:"Four ports for Nintendo GameCube controllers. Two slots for Nintendo GameCube memory cards. An AV Multi-output port for component, composite, or S-video."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157685.html

Why Ninty, WHY?!

No Dvd Playback? I'm ok with that... how much was the DVD playback kit for the XBox? $30? I think you can buy a throw-away DVD player for that much. NOT an issue.

I'm more curious to know if the DS wireless USB WIFI adaptor will be the same piece of hardware that will allow me to have the Wii online with out having the cable running to the living room.

No Dvd Playback? I'm ok with that... how much was the DVD playback kit for the XBox? $30? I think you can buy a throw-away DVD player for that much. NOT an issue.

I'm more curious to know if the DS wireless USB WIFI adaptor will be the same piece of hardware that will allow me to have the Wii online with out having the cable running to the living room.

The Wii doesn't need a wireless adapter, it's built in, it's the other way around. :)

The Wii doesn't need a wireless adapter, it's built in, it's the other way around. :)

I likely said that wrong... I understand the Wii has a wireless adaptor built in... I was wondering if the USB WIFI thing they sell at the store for the DS (that plugs into your USB port on the PC) for connecting online will also work for the Wii? I don't know if that makes any more sense. It's late... :)

I likely said that wrong... I understand the Wii has a wireless adaptor built in... I was wondering if the USB WIFI thing they sell at the store for the DS (that plugs into your USB port on the PC) for connecting online will also work for the Wii? I don't know if that makes any more sense. It's late... :)

:? You should only need to do that if you're downloading stuff from your computer. Since the Wii will have its own online presence, that shouldn't be necessary.

I think what you want to ask is, "Will the Wii be able to uplink to home WiFi routers for Internet Access, or will the Wii only act as a hub for devices like the Nintendo DS?"

According to Wikipedia, the Wii should be able to uplink to your home router. However, I'm feeling too lazy to look up a reputably confirmation on that at the moment, so take it with a grain of salt.

:? You should only need to do that if you're downloading stuff from your computer. Since the Wii will have its own online presence, that shouldn't be necessary.

I think what you want to ask is, "Will the Wii be able to uplink to home WiFi routers for Internet Access, or will the Wii only act as a hub for devices like the Nintendo DS?"

According to Wikipedia, the Wii should be able to uplink to your home router. However, I'm feeling too lazy to look up a reputably confirmation on that at the moment, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ok... I have a PC which is connected to the 'net via a cable from the wall. I don't have a wireless router. I will have a Wii in the other room and instead of buying a wireless router (or a wired router for that matter), I was wondering if Nintendo's DS Wi-Fi adaptor (which plugs into the USB port on your PC for internet access) will also grant the Wii internet access.

I'm looking at getting the Nintendo WIFI adaptor as I've heard it's a snap to use... just thought this would make it work with the Wii as well.

Ok... I have a PC which is connected to the 'net via a cable from the wall. I don't have a wireless router. I will have a Wii in the other room and instead of buying a wireless router (or a wired router for that matter), I was wondering if Nintendo's DS Wi-Fi adaptor (which plugs into the USB port on your PC for internet access) will also grant the Wii internet access.

I'm looking at getting the Nintendo WIFI adaptor as I've heard it's a snap to use... just thought this would make it work with the Wii as well.

Nintendo's adapter is PROBABLY a standard WiFi adapter in a custom case, so it SHOULD work just fine.

I make no guarantees, though.

Nintendo's adapter is PROBABLY a standard WiFi adapter in a custom case, so it SHOULD work just fine.

Unless you already have it though, it's probably cheaper and easier to get a WiFi router from Best Buy. Then you could provide cabled AND wireless connections to all your devices.

I make no guarantees, though.

I think I will email/phone Nintendo on this as it would be an economical and easy to use item.

I think I'll be able to get use of the extra channels and the picture viewer will kick so much ass as we just bought a Digital Camera and the ability to watch a slide show on the tv would be what the wife would really like!

In spite of the fact that I have probably close to around 8 or 9 ways to play DVDs at the house, the Wii being able to actually would have appealed to me. Currently when I go on vacation, I box up and take along my PS2. I've actually been considering picking up a new slim PS2 as a back-up and as a replacement to lugging around the bigger original unit. Had Wii been able to play DVDs, I could have used that and saved a good bit of space. Hell the Wii is like what? 3 CD cases stacked on top of each other? Oh well, no big deal I suppose.

Edited by moycon

Doesn't everyone already have a DVD player? :roll:

Exactly.

How many people bought XBox DVD kits? I'm thinking not a whole lot.

Me, me! (frantically waves arm)

Seriously, though, this is inexcusable after the news of the Wii's stiff price tag. "We didn't want to pass the cost onto the CUSTOMER!" Sure, jackass. The reason that DVD players are so commonplace these days is because they're so ridiculously cheap! That technology is already built right into the Wii. It can already read DVD-ROMs, so all that would have been necessary to handle DVD playback was a simple set of instructions; maybe an extra chip at most.

I'm stunned, simply stunned at Nintendo's arrogance. They've reached a point where they think they can wipe their ass on a paper towel and sell it to their customers for twenty bucks. At least Sony has some semblence of justification for the outrageous price tag of the Playstation 3. They're promising big things with the system, and its hardware has the potential (if not an absolute guarantee) to deliver on those promises. What are we getting from Nintendo? A evolutionary dead end of a console that has a remote control as its central gimmick, yet it CAN'T PLAY DVDS!

The Wii's gone from a launch purchase to a "maybe before the end of the year" purchase to a "fuck this, I could be using this money on Okami!" non-purchase. After the N64 and GameCube, you have a LOT to prove to me this generation, Nintendo. You're not off to a great start.

JR

Seriously, though, this is inexcusable after the news of the Wii's stiff price tag.

A penny less than they'd promised all along is a stiff price tag?

Everyone knew it was gonna be 249.99. Any time ANYONE says something will cost less than a specific price, they mean less than a dime.

"We didn't want to pass the cost onto the CUSTOMER!" Sure, jackass. The reason that DVD players are so commonplace these days is because they're so ridiculously cheap! That technology is already built right into the Wii. It can already read DVD-ROMs, so all that would have been necessary to handle DVD playback was a simple set of instructions; maybe an extra chip at most.

You forgot the cost of a DVD playback license. That's what you pay for on the XBox dongle. It's why it wasn't integrated on the XBox, it's why it's not on the Wii.

At least Sony has some semblence of justification for the outrageous price tag of the Playstation 3.

You're honestly comparing the PS3 and Wii price tags?

C'mon, shoot for the 360. You might even have a point.

C'mon, Microsoft! Give us a price cut! You can do it! Bring the Premium down to 300 and get rid of the Core!

C'mon, shoot for the 360. You might even have a point.

C'mon, Microsoft! Give us a price cut! You can do it! Bring the Premium down to 300 and get rid of the Core!

If I were in charge of MS right now I'd want to drop the prices so that the core went for the price of a Wii. Not a big price drop, but it certainly looks good when the two systems are placed next to each other. The core basically doesn't exist, except as a price tag to make people start thinking about the 360. Once they've thought about it enough to want it, they quickly figure out what they really want is a premium. All they need to do is make consumers see that, technically, you could have a 360 for the price of the Wii, then they can say "and for $100 more you can have all of this! *raises curtain to show a real 360*"

By the way, DVD playback is so meaningless with $20 DVD players available, Nintendo might as well try selling the system based on the promise that it "contains some air". I have 3 DVD players in boxes in my storage room because I found other ones that I thought looked nicer.

Edited by Atarifever