IGNORED

Is there any way to adapt the GBA TV convertor to the Lynx?

Bill Brasky

I don't know what the Lynx looks like inside, but the Screen is half the resolution of the GBA (around half) so I doubt it will work....But I din't see any real reason a similar device couldn't be made. I'd certainly buy one, as I was one of the people that actually bought the GBA TV device and moded my GBA. Also I got the Afterburner, which made the screen lighted. Both a full year and a half befor Nintendo released an first party alternative :P

Here's hoping that someone will make a similar device for the lynx, and as long as it's a comparible price, I'd definately get one...or two....

The Lynx is very different inside. It won't work.

To make a TV converter reality you could:

- use a real Lynx and add a fpga chip that listens to that data bus and the lcd control signals, saves the data in its own screen buffer and sends it out as a VGA signal.

- make a Lynx on a chip that outputs video instead of LCD

- improve Handy to make the emulation perfect

I would go for the last option. Actually running Lynx games on the Sony PSP is very close to having a TV converter for it. A large backlit screen, wireless networking (still needs a ComLynx over WiFi module) and multiple cart images on the memory stick.

The only problem is that it cannot run all games and it crashes easily.

--

Karri

Theres nothing more satisfying than using the real Lynx hardware to play our favourite games.

Agreed 110%.

A TV-out adaptor for the Lynx would be very useful for showcasing new demos/games to an audience; since such a device has been made possible (and built) for the Game Gear, and is long overdue for our beloved Lynx.

I think it would be pretty hard to adapt the Lynx to the TV...by tweaking with the internals...but perhaps something like...

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...ts_id=8369&

can be adapted for that purpose. It's a PSP to TV device that instead of tapping into the internals, reads the screen with a camera like device. I see no reason why it wouldn't work...but feel free to tell me otherwise.

I think it would be pretty hard to adapt the Lynx to the TV...by tweaking with the internals...but perhaps something like...

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...ts_id=8369&

can be adapted for that purpose. It's a PSP to TV device that instead of tapping into the internals, reads the screen with a camera like device. I see no reason why it wouldn't work...but feel free to tell me otherwise.

Actually Wizztronics has created a TV-output adapter "Lynx Vision" quite recently so it has been done. It required soldering 26 wires in the Lynx.

Lynx TV

But I wonder if it will ever be manufactured. It would be interesting to get the schematics and fpga stuff and rewrite the design to output the video through a VGA connector instead at 800 by 600 (800 = 5 * 160, 600 = 5 * 102 + 45 black lines at top and bottom). It is quite possible to create a VGA signal using a FPGA without a need for any analog parts. Especially as the Lynx color space is so limited.

Oh no, I am starting to get excited again. The more I think about it the more I am convinced that it could be made using just one chip.

Perhaps Wizztronics would be interested in getting some help in pushing the Lynx Vision in this direction. :roll:

--

Karri

Edited by karri

I think from a technical point of view it would be great. However the thought of hacking a lynx just to display its low resolution graphics on a t.v just doesnt seem to excite me. It takes away the portable nature of our beloved machine

I think from a technical point of view it would be great. However the thought of hacking a lynx just to display its low resolution graphics on a t.v just doesnt seem to excite me. It takes away the portable nature of our beloved machine

True. I have only found two interesting projects for the Lynx:

- a flash cart for running your own creations on it (I have done it already)

- a lipstick-size wireless ComLynx stick that you could plug in the ComLynx port. And perhaps also in a rs232-usb converter.

In theory this is easy to make. Just transmit a steady frequency when you want to transmit a "0". If you can receive a steady frequency set the ComLynx input to "0" else keep it at "1".

And of course all developers would love to have a supercheap blank cart.

--

Karri

Hello,

AFAIK the refresh-rate of the Lynx-screen can be changed by the programmer (the docs show settings for 50z, 60 Hz, 75Hz with a maximum of 78 Hz), i am wondering if this is the reason why we haven't seen a simple=cheap solution for a Lynx-to-TV-adapter?

Regards

Matthias

It was done by Atari and called the Black Box, just never released.

So how was this supposed to work? How did Atari get a video signal out of the Lynx? I can't imagine that they were expecting the general public to all hack their Lynx, were they?

It was done by Atari and called the Black Box, just never released.

So how was this supposed to work? How did Atari get a video signal out of the Lynx? I can't imagine that they were expecting the general public to all hack their Lynx, were they?

As far as I'm concerned, Atari had no intention of releasing any device that

would allow the Lynx to be played on TV; So no, they didn't expect any of

the general public to hack their Lynxes. They did have about a dozen of

the aforementioned 'Black Boxes' made, but as far as I know, they were

only for game demonstration and review purposes, not for public release.

• 2 months later...