IGNORED

What's the "storage compartment" for?

godzillajoe

I don't think you were meant to wrap the cords around the controllers. I dont have it in front of me now, but I remember there being notches for the cords on the sides.

But yes, it's for controller storage. Part of the idea of reducing clutter, such as with the single cord and the power supply plugging into the switchbox instead of the console.

LOL... That reminds me...

My wife was the one who bought me a 5200 for Christmas a few years back. She got it off of Ebay and when it arrived, she couldn't find the controllers. So she emailed the seller asking where the controllers were. The seller responded, "Look in the secret compartment." :D

The compartment is definitely made for the controllers. As other people mentioned, the cords are supposed to be plugged in and threaded through the notches. Obviously, Atari expected you to keep the system hooked up rather than put it in storage.

One bit that no one has mentioned is that the controllers are supposed to slot in upside-down with the stick centered over the nubs at the bottom of the compartment. If the stick is positioned right, the hemi-spherical grove in the top of the stick should fit cleanly on top of the nub. That keeps the controller stick straight while in storage.

It's not the worst design, but it is annoying. If you're in a hurry, you might accidently place the controller wrong, resulting in the stick being held to the side.

I tried storing my controllers in that compartment, but with my clumsiness I am bound to fumble and damage one of the cords. With the $35 invested in a rebuilt controller, I do not want to chance that. I now store the controllers in the box with my 4 port 5200. :D

Edited by simbalion

Ok so if you dont keep your controllers in there, what pray tell do you keep in your Colecovision controller slots? :P

I thought that was the cupholder? :ponder:

Sure, the shape is a little square, but technology was a lot more primitive in those days. It's only within the last 10 years that we've had these cool motorized holders in our computers.

Edited by jbanes

I don't think you were meant to wrap the cords around the controllers. I dont have it in front of me now, but I remember there being notches for the cords on the sides.

I stand corrected. I guess I've never noticed the slots. I'm used the ColecoVision and Intellivision where the cords can be hidden along with the controllers, so I figured the 5200's compartment was meant for the same.