IGNORED

So I picked up another 7800 today and I'm wondering,

ProperRogue

What's the deal with the cartridge slots? I was thinking it was probably just a quirk with my first 7800 , but then the second one I have now , also does the same thing. Most if not all of the 7800 carts are really tight , and some of the 2600 also have the same issue.

In another post I created , there was mention of cutting the cartridge slot for the Imagic games, would this also relieve the tension on the other carts too?

Any pics of showing how it's done, as to not go to deep with the trusty exacto?

Everything on this 7800 appears to be complete and original , unlike my first one. There's also a port on the side, that I've never heard about, is this used for something?

Also , has anyone used the A/V mod from 8bitDomain for the 7800? Is there truly better quality picture using this as opposed to the standard cable , or the coax-connector?

The reason I ask is , I have the FB2 , which uses composite, and compared the same game , let's say Yar's Revenge, the picture quality on the 7800 with the standard cable is far better than the FB2 using composite. :?

Basically just wondering if anyone's happy with their mod?

Cutting the cartridge port sleeve will relieve tension on all the carts. I don't have pictures of mine, but it's a simple concept. If you look into the cartridge port, you'll see the outer part isn't really square. What you gotta do is make a relief cut in the side of it.

Once inside the 7800, take the RF shield off and flip the motherboard over. You'll see two holes next to the actual cartridge port. Remove the tape from them and unscrew the screws. This lets part of the "port" come loose. You'll have sleeve that's wider that a cartridge come loose from the board, and that's what you have to cut. Hold the sleeve up like it's sitting in the 7800, and make the cut right down each side. Cut all the way to, but not into, the bottom of the sleeve. You don't have to reach inside the sleeve and attempt to cut anything there--it's all done on the outside.

If it were me, I'd hack up the 7800 with the funny power plug on it. If the other one looks original, I'd leave it the way it is. My own console was mint until I installed the DevOS. Everything still looks great on the console, but it's just not the way it came from the factory.

Cutting the cartridge port sleeve will relieve tension on all the carts. I don't have pictures of mine, but it's a simple concept. If you look into the cartridge port, you'll see the outer part isn't really square. What you gotta do is make a relief cut in the side of it.

Once inside the 7800, take the RF shield off and flip the motherboard over. You'll see two holes next to the actual cartridge port. Remove the tape from them and unscrew the screws. This lets part of the "port" come loose. You'll have sleeve that's wider that a cartridge come loose from the board, and that's what you have to cut. Hold the sleeve up like it's sitting in the 7800, and make the cut right down each side. Cut all the way to, but not into, the bottom of the sleeve. You don't have to reach inside the sleeve and attempt to cut anything there--it's all done on the outside.

If it were me, I'd hack up the 7800 with the funny power plug on it. If the other one looks original, I'd leave it the way it is. My own console was mint until I installed the DevOS. Everything still looks great on the console, but it's just not the way it came from the factory.

Yeah , most definitely I'll be hacking up the 7800 with the quirky plug. :twisted:

If you remember one of my first few posts I was talking about a 7800 on my local CraigsList. Well , I finally caught up with the guy, and his 7800 was MINT compared to the one I picked up on eBay. I can almost see why he was wanting that much for it. Still , he let me have it for $20, and I was going to offer him a little more. LOL @ him , he says to me , "dude, why do you want Atari anyway?" I just laughed at him. :rolling:

But the one I picked up from him is like gold compared to the FrankenAtari I got from the web. Still , both are playable , and I been going to town with the Robotron cart.

Other than the goofy PS , is there anyway to get a PAL faceplate or even a PAL casing? I'd love to get a new case for what I've dubbed , my FrankenAtari.

BTW , I can find tons of scans of game manuals , but does anyone know a place to check out a scan of the 7800 user manual?

Thanks.

post-7835-1162394942_thumb.jpg

Edited by ProperRogue

Not sure where to go for the manual or the faceplate. The FAQ in the 7800 section of this site may answer any questions you have. Trust me, if you play the thing for long, not only will you have Frankentari, you'll have the Sega frankengun, some frankencarts, and the Radica Frankenvaders joystick.

• 5 months later...

with mine I noticed some some of the carts have a really tight fit and others a really loose fit. Out of the 25 games I have I've most only played a few of them a lot. The ones that I played a lot have a loose fit, and the ones I didn't play too much have a tight fit. Maybe its tight on yours just cuz the cart hasn't been used much.

What's interesting is that the night before I had my little Atari gathering earlier this year, I actually took a razor and pliers and cut and ripped pretty much the ENTIRE plastic thingy around the cartridge port. The results: 1) lots of little pieces of black plastic all over my living room floor, and 2) a cartridge slot in which ALL my carts went in very nicely, complete with that little "pop" we all know from most 4-switchers and 6-switchers that let you know the cartridge is in...and the next day when people were over, they were commenting on how TIGHT the slot was and suggested that I mod it!!

Not sure where to go for the manual or the faceplate. The FAQ in the 7800 section of this site may answer any questions you have. Trust me, if you play the thing for long, not only will you have Frankentari, you'll have the Sega frankengun, some frankencarts, and the Radica Frankenvaders joystick.

lol, yep got the frankengun and the Radica Frankenvaders joystick. building the franken s-video mod at the moment, and looking for a frankencart or two :D