IGNORED

Atari 2600 joystick adaptors?

tjlazer

Where and how hard would it be to get/make one?

We sell something called the "Redemption 5200", and in two flavors: One allows you to use 2600 and Sega controllers, the other allows you to use 7800 controllers. With Sega (SMS/Genesis) and 7800 controllers, you can use two buttons for the 5200 games that require them:

http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?ma...products_id=256

http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?ma...products_id=257

..Al

When using a 2600 or Sega controller on the 5200, is the control still as "floaty" as when using, in my case, a Wico? For example, I find Missile Command difficult to play, because the cursor is always in motion. Is the control still like that, or does it become more like it is on the 2600?

When using a 2600 or Sega controller on the 5200, is the control still as "floaty" as when using, in my case, a Wico? For example, I find Missile Command difficult to play, because the cursor is always in motion. Is the control still like that, or does it become more like it is on the 2600?

Missile Command cannot be played with a digital controller, you really need to use an analog controller. It's one of the few games in the 5200 library that requires the analog stick of the 5200 (or Wico). Most games that rely mainly on the four (or eight) discrete directions (such as Pac-Man) are not "floaty" and play great.

..Al

Missile Command should be played with the 5200 TrackBall for maximum enjoyment!

Oh yeah, duh.. Why didn't I think of that! :)

..Al

Oh yeah, duh.. Why didn't I think of that! :)

..Al

Speaking of... I have a few questions.

I enjoy playing a lot of Atari games on the PS2 because of the analog sticks, are there any 2600 joysticks out there with more accuracy than just the 8 directions? And, I've heard bad things about the 2600 trackball, I read it always moves too slow to get good at the games, is there any truth to this? I've been buying tons of Atari joysticks to find good ones (Archer Radio Shack brand is the one so far I like best, not yet tried a Wico version), so a trackball would be a very nice addition if they worked well and were compatible with enough games.

I enjoy playing a lot of Atari games on the PS2 because of the analog sticks, are there any 2600 joysticks out there with more accuracy than just the 8 directions?

Not a one. The 2600 is physically incapable of reading more than 4 directions(+ diagonals, which are just 2 directions at once) unless it's using paddles.

In fact, the PS2 Atari games are dumbing the analog thumbsticks back down into the standard 4-switch digital input. So there's not an ounce of accuracy diffrence.

And, I've heard bad things about the 2600 trackball, I read it always moves too slow to get good at the games, is there any truth to this?

It reads like a joystick in all the original games, though a few homebrews and hacks support it as a REAL trackball.

I enjoy playing a lot of Atari games on the PS2 because of the analog sticks, are there any 2600 joysticks out there with more accuracy than just the 8 directions?

Not a one. The 2600 is physically incapable of reading more than 4 directions(+ diagonals, which are just 2 directions at once) unless it's using paddles.

In fact, the PS2 Atari games are dumbing the analog thumbsticks back down into the standard 4-switch digital input. So there's not an ounce of accuracy diffrence.

And, I've heard bad things about the 2600 trackball, I read it always moves too slow to get good at the games, is there any truth to this?

It reads like a joystick in all the original games, though a few homebrews and hacks support it as a REAL trackball.

Wow... I would swear that the analog stick works more accurately. Maybe it's just because I'm an NES child and never used a joystick and still need practice? Must be.

So essentially, a trackball is useless. That's sad. I would really like one.

Wow... I would swear that the analog stick works more accurately. Maybe it's just because I'm an NES child and never used a joystick and still need practice? Must be.

Probably.

I've been known to use the analog nubs instad of d-pads in some digital games(when using a pad that supports the option) . Usually ones with lots of circling motions.

So essentially, a trackball is useless. That's sad. I would really like one.

Pretty much.

I've had some fun with my Wico ball, though. Sure it's just another way to turn 4 switches on and off, but just like joysticks and gamepads feel diffrent, the trackball feels diffrent too.

I'm not sure thats entirely true. I'm pretty sure that Missle Command for the 2600 has been hacked to use the trackball on a true analog setting.

Do you hurt the hell out of your hand swirling the crap out of it and it moves so slow?

The speed is EXACTLY the same as with a joystick.

And if I'm gonna be swirling it, I'm using it on the wrong game. There's a good reason I never hook it up for, say, Combat.

But it adds a good bit of flavor to 2600 Missile Command, even if it's not really analog.

If I ever come across one cheap I will get it just for novelty. As far as I know, no non-Atari systems had one, so it'd still be neat to have.

The Sega Master System had a trackball(called the Sports Pad).

Colecovision had one. Called the Roller Controller if I remember right.

The PS1 had a 3rd-party trackball that read as a Playstation mouse.

On the 3rd-party note, Wico put out stick-emulating balls for several 1st-era systems.

Do you hurt the hell out of your hand swirling the crap out of it and it moves so slow?

And if I'm gonna be swirling it, I'm using it on the wrong game. There's a good reason I never hook it up for, say, Combat.

But it adds a good bit of flavor to 2600 Missile Command, even if it's not really analog.

If I ever come across one cheap I will get it just for novelty. As far as I know, no non-Atari systems had one, so it'd still be neat to have.

On the 3rd-party note, Wico put out stick-emulating balls for several 1st-era systems.

Ahhh, the Sports Pad, I vaguely remember that. I wonder if a 2600 trackball would work with the SMS or vice versa.

Ahhh, the Sports Pad, I vaguely remember that. I wonder if a 2600 trackball would work with the SMS or vice versa.

I seriously doubt it, but without the pinouts and data formats handy to check, I dunno.