IGNORED

Ultima IV: cracked copies/image concerns

Gunstar

There is a demo of the U5 opening screen for the 8bit - thats about as far as it went I think.

I don't recall anything like that. Do you have it?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Ill check - I didnt really save it somewhere to keep since it was just the demo screen - it might not have even do anything but show a static screen - Ill see what I can dig up.

BTW, the artifact colors changed from machine to machine. I own an 800, 1200XL, and 800XL, and the same game will look different on all 3 if it uses artifacting (blue/green, purple/green, blue/red). The reason is the difference in video circuitry. Artifacting is to generate pseudo-chroma signals using only luminance (by alternating light and dark pixels - only works on NTSC machines) but the color generated will depend on the relationship between the real chroma colorburst and the luma signal. If a change in circuitry results in a slight timing/phase change between chroma and luma outputs, then the artifact colors change.

-Bry

BTW, the artifact colors changed from machine to machine. I own an 800, 1200XL, and 800XL, and the same game will look different on all 3 if it uses artifacting (blue/green, purple/green, blue/red). The reason is the difference in video circuitry. Artifacting is to generate pseudo-chroma signals using only luminance (by alternating light and dark pixels - only works on NTSC machines) but the color generated will depend on the relationship between the real chroma colorburst and the luma signal. If a change in circuitry results in a slight timing/phase change between chroma and luma outputs, then the artifact colors change.

-Bry

While I don't disagree with you, those facts don't really mean much unless you have a TV/monitor that has NO tint/hue control. those variations I showed were all from the exact same machine and monitor just by changing the tint/hue, and I could have posted a dozen other variations too. My point is that all you have to do, no matter the machine and monitor, is adjust the tint to the colors you like or those you are used to from another machine/monitor. Also, I think what you are talking about requires BOTH a different machine AND different TV/monitor, as I own an XE and XL and did own an 800, and when I used them on the same monitor, the color variations were so minute that they're virtually identical.

Edited by Gunstar

Hi! As I'm a bit of an U4 nut, Macbeth pointed me to this thread...

VERY interesting. I wonder what else they removed as well though, as I highly doubt the background music took up 16k! Does that mean that Ultima III is only a 32k game with a 16k soundtrack?

On the C64 U3 uses $0400-$cdff, or 50.5 kB. However, eleven pages areas are untouched, bringing it down to 46.75 kB. The C64 also needs 1000 bytes of attribute ram for the bitmap. I haven't looked at the A8 port, but I don't think it would be too hard to fit music.

If anyone wants to take a crack at it, I have a partial disassembly of the C64 music routine.

I'm suprised the beta version WITH the music has never shown up in all this time, if in fact they had it in the game an then removed it. Does anyone know the original authors so this possibilty can be looked into? Also, to Atari coders: Has anyone ever given any thought to porting the Apple II or Commodore 64 Ultima's beyond Ultima IV? Those other machines also got at least Ulitma V and maybe VI and beyond didn't they?

Ultima V was released on C64 and Apple II, and Ultima VI was released on the C64.

I'd think it would relatively easy port from those machines. I know Ultima is still a VERY active copyright, with the online game and all, but maybe they wouldn't mind.

There are lots of Ultima remakes out there, and EA doesn't seem to mind too much. It's quite possible to release the remakes without the actual data files - users can copy them from the original.

One more question; at what point did the Ultima games (on any platform) lose the "stick figure/icon graphics" in favor of more colorful and detailed graphics? After IV or V or? Ok, two questions: when did the game go from over-head 2D map style to 3D?

Ultima VI switched to an isometric view.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to dust off an old thread, I was searching AA to see if anyone was actively discussing adding music into U4 for the Atari.

The lack of music in this game is the single event that knocked my Atari 1200 from being my primary machine to living in my desk drawer back in the mid 80's.