IGNORED

Direct 4 Games Lynx Vaporware Insanity!

Atari Smeghead

Have any of ya looked at the Atari Lynx section of Direct 4 Games?

It's like a treasure trove of non-existant games!!

https://www.direct4games.com/layout1.jsp?pa...e=A-Z%20Listing

They have every single proto listed, EOTB, AvP, Relief Pitcher, etc

Plus, there are games listed there that I've never even heard of...

Blood & Guts Hockey

Defender/Stargate/Defender II

Space War

Strider II

But the weirdest of all?

They claim to have copies, IN STOCK, of Rolling Thunder!!!

Could it be?

If nothing else, it's sure fun to look through this list and imagine the possibilities.

Cheers,

Smeg

Hello I have been able to buy the Rolling Thunder, now this outside stock but my purchase parace that has become effective and me has already sent it.

As soon as it arrives to me will tell you as it were to me.

My Orders

Use this page to view your orders and preorders, past and present. You can watch the progress of your orders through our system or just check on what you have bought with us.

Here you will see a list of all your orders.

Order Date Price Status

13/Nov/2006 £23.98 Dispatched

Rolling Thunder (Atari Lynx) - UNIVERSAL £19.99

Use this drop down menu to see past orders grouped by year. Orders in Progress 2006

Well Direct 4 Entertainment did mention unreleased prototypes before.

Like in this topic: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79523

We did lose a lot of the masters in a tornado in the USA so some titles will never be produced. But we will look at releasing some of those prototypes that were almost finnished if we can. We're thinking of setting up a section on the site where you can make donations toward the development of a game, in return we will send a free gift (so you feel you have actually bought something) and when we get enough funding we'll look into developing that game. This way we'll see what there's a demand for and if we decide not to go ahead with that title, the funding will go towards another unreleased title. Just a thought so far so don't take it as gospel! :)

But I guess this was not any Lynx games ?

No one can sell EOTB due to the nasty licensing issues. That's why it stays put in my Lynx collection and is undistributed...

Tempest

Hi there Tempest,

Can you explain further about the licencing issues, and how you came to have a copy - is this a completed game ready to go? (Apologies in advance if this is some long boring historical fact I'm not aware of!)...

Karl

No one can sell EOTB due to the nasty licensing issues. That's why it stays put in my Lynx collection and is undistributed...

Tempest

Hi there Tempest,

Can you explain further about the licencing issues, and how you came to have a copy - is this a completed game ready to go? (Apologies in advance if this is some long boring historical fact I'm not aware of!)...

Karl

Well the EotB license was owned by TSR which was then bought out by Wizards of the Coast. WotC are notorious for actively defending the D&D license, and will more than likely sue anyone who illegally makes a profit from it. This is the same reason why the Intellivision guys can't release any of the 2600 AD&D prototypes they have. To actually legally license it they want an "assload of money", I believe Carl looked into this a few years back.

How come I have a copy? I'm the Master of Prototypes thats why!

Well ok, I have a copy because I bought it from the guy who bought it from Atari back when they were selling off some of that stuff. I'd have to look at the board, but I believe its a 512K board with a special memory save on it. It would hard, although not impossible to reproduce. The original owner made about 5-10 copies of the game and sold them to a few well known Lynx collectors. I however have the original prototype and not a copy.

The game seems complete, but I haven't had time to play it through to the end.

Tempest

Hello they finish cancelling my order thus I confirm that they do not have copies of those games.

Order Date Price Status

13/Nov/2006 £23.98 Cancelled-Genuine

Rolling Thunder (Atari Lynx) - UNIVERSAL £19.99

Use this drop down menu to see past orders grouped by year. Orders in Progress 2006

Tempest

Hi there Tempest,

Karl

Well the EotB license was owned by TSR which was then bought out by Wizards of the Coast. WotC are notorious for actively defending the D&D license, and will more than likely sue anyone who illegally makes a profit from it. This is the same reason why the Intellivision guys can't release any of the 2600 AD&D prototypes they have. To actually legally license it they want an "assload of money", I believe Carl looked into this a few years back.

Well ok, I have a copy because I bought it from the guy who bought it from Atari back when they were selling off some of that stuff. I'd have to look at the board, but I believe its a 512K board with a special memory save on it. It would hard, although not impossible to reproduce. The original owner made about 5-10 copies of the game and sold them to a few well known Lynx collectors. I however have the original prototype and not a copy.

Tempest

Tempest... saw one at a Retro Affair in France once....... offered a deal for it (my collection awaits) for some reason I just couldn't close the deal..... which for me is unusal I am led to believe... :)

Don't suppose you want to sell? :cool:

Nick

16/32 Systems

Tempest

Hi there Tempest,

Karl

Tempest

Tempest,

Many thanks for the reply. Such a shame the game is lost to the remaining Lynx community over a legacy royalty. Is it just over the name, or are there protected game systems within the code?

Perhaps WoTC would release the game under different conditions - I would assume Songbird were offering a financial package under licencing for release, so they haven't said no... They could keep exclusivity if they released the game under a new agreement, especially if game was just released under common licence! (Better if nobody makes money on these old unreleased games after a such a period of time, especially as it is probably fair to say the Lynx will not be making a comeback anytime soon).

Congrats on having it though!

Karl

Tempest

Hi there Tempest,

Karl

Tempest

Tempest,

Many thanks for the reply. Such a shame the game is lost to the remaining Lynx community over a legacy royalty. Is it just over the name, or are there protected game systems within the code?

Perhaps WoTC would release the game under different conditions - I would assume Songbird were offering a financial package under licencing for release, so they haven't said no... They could keep exclusivity if they released the game under a new agreement, especially if game was just released under common licence! (Better if nobody makes money on these old unreleased games after a such a period of time, especially as it is probably fair to say the Lynx will not be making a comeback anytime soon).

Congrats on having it though!

Karl

The whole game is under that copyright I'd imagine. It's not just the name, but it's the whole AD&D 'system' of spells, rules, attributes, etc. A simple name change wouldn't cut it.

At the moment it doesn't look promising, but then again I would have said the same thing for Total Carnage a few years ago. Things change, so you never know.

Tempest

It's true, I have tried to negotiate the license for this game on multiple occasions over a period of several years... the problem is that Wizards belongs to Hasbro, and it's much easier for Hasbro to say "no" than to work out terms for any "small" item such as this. :(

So true. Even if they were to rerelease the game, it wouldn't be the Lynx version, since there's a small market. They'd just rehash the old PC versions out again (since they still work even on WinXP, granted you have something like mo'slo to slow down the processor to an acceptible speed).

It's too bad, really. I have the SNES version of EotB and I would very much enjoy a portable version of it (besides that rehash they gave out on the GBA... I liked it okay but it just didn't feel the same. :( )

I, also, attempted to buy Rolling Thunder. They took my money, sent me an email telling me my order was "dispatched" which I *think* means it was shipped. Then, I got this email from Direct4Games:

---

However, Atari re-used several barcodes and this product is one of them.

When we scan in the stock of another game, it allocates it as Rolling Thunder as the barcodes are the same.

Please don't worry as we refund in full.

---

At least that makes sense...kinda. Evil frick'n barcodes! :x

Smeg