IGNORED

idea for space invaders

DA-J-MAN8448

does anyone got any good ideas on hacking space invaders. anyone???

I have an idea that would basically be a varient. You would try and destroy the invaders before they left (reverse of them landing). The leave the top of the screen, but move faster has they march up wards.

Shoo, shoo Invaders.. Go home!!!! :D

Seriously, I think this would work very well.

-Lee

This maybe a pipe dream but I think some one should add the arcade backdrop of the moon and dark space backdrop just like the origanil arcade.

That looks wonderful! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I don't think the craters will work as you've got them. It might be possible to render them using the second sprite (it looks like you took into account that only one sprite is used on the lower lines), but I'm not sure if you'd have enough cycles to manage the bases and the crater on the same scanlines.

There's definitely not enough cycles to show stars on the same scanlines as the invaders. Still, that's a great mockup, and pretty close to doable. Excellent work (as usual), AtariBoy! :)

does anyone got any good ideas on hacking space invaders. anyone???

This maybe a pipe dream but I think some one should add the arcade backdrop of the moon and dark space backdrop just like the origanil arcade.

Now I would actually BUY another copy of SI if it looked like that :cool:

So would most other people.

WP

With some tweaks to the moon bkg design (presumably the easiest thing would be to either remove the craters or make them symmetrical using the 0 color of the playfield.) That might actually be doable, and pretty darn nifty if it was.

With some tweaks to the moon bkg design (presumably the easiest thing would be to either remove the craters or make them symmetrical using the 0 color of the playfield.) That might actually be doable, and pretty darn nifty if it was.

Cycle time would be a problem here...since loading/storing playfield register gfx would add at least 7 cycles for each one (given that the X or Y register is free to use). 6-sprite gfx is already pushing toward the 76-cycle limit. Also, the ball sprite is used for all player and enemy shots (the ball sprite uses the playfield color), so shots that travel over this gfx would be invisible.

Cycle time would be a problem here...since loading/storing playfield register gfx would add at least 7 cycles for each one (given that the X or Y register is free to use). 6-sprite gfx is already pushing toward the 76-cycle limit. Also, the ball sprite is used for all player and enemy shots (the ball sprite uses the playfield color), so shots that travel over this gfx would be invisible.

I figured it couldn't be a trivial addition. I am surprised the ball was used for ALL shots though. Guess they did that to keep them from shifting colors when a shot goes from the invader area to the shield area to the player area. (and the reverse)

Though, when you think about it, that might be MORE arcade-like to the old B&W display with the color overlay. :)

I'm no expert, but I think it might be more feasable to keep the invaders within a banding line. Seems entirely possible to do something like this in light of Seawolf. :D

That looks easier to deal with. If the crater graphics were removed, the only addition would be changing the screen bkg color every so many scanlines, which is hopefully not too tough.

I figured it couldn't be a trivial addition. I am surprised the ball was used for ALL shots though. Guess they did that to keep them from shifting colors when a shot goes from the invader area to the shield area to the player area. (and the reverse)

Though, when you think about it, that might be MORE arcade-like to the old B&W display with the color overlay. :)

Yup...no need to change player colors (which are shared to missiles). Below the score area, playfield color is set and it remains that color for the rest of the display. The lower "ground" area is just the background...reset to green (or whatever color attract mode dictates). Using the ball sprite for all missiles also keeps collisions easier to check.

Yup...no need to change player colors (which are shared to missiles). Below the score area, playfield color is set and it remains that color for the rest of the display. The lower "ground" area is just the background...reset to green (or whatever color attract mode dictates). Using the ball sprite for all missiles also keeps collisions easier to check.

Can't use the missiles for shots because they share duplication properties with their players. Color shifting is a minor consideration, if that.

Can't use the missiles for shots because they share duplication properties with their players. Color shifting is a minor consideration, if that.

Yeah, that would definitely be an issue. Might make for an interesting "challenge" mode though, with bombs dropping in threes.