IGNORED

10 Coolest Game Consoles Ever

BassGuitari

There's so much negative energy going around about the worst systems and worst games around here lately. Time for a positive "10" list. :) (Consoles only, please!)

EDIT: AussieAtari mentioned a cool idea; to tabulate the results. Here they are, as of 18 posts. It's entirely possible that I made a mistake or two, so feel free to make corrections if you'd like. :)

Atari 2600: 11

Atari 5200: 5

Atari 7800: 7

Odyssey2/Videopac: 4

Astrocade: 2

Intellivision: 3

Colecovision: 6

Vectrex: 8

Turbo-Grafx 16: 3

SNK Neo-Geo AES: 1

3DO: 1

PC Engine: 1

NES: 7

SNES: 12

N64: 6

Nintendo Virtual Boy: 2

Game Boy Advance: 4

Nintendo DS: 5

Nintendo GameCube: 4

Atari Lynx: 2

Atari Jaguar: 1

Atari Flashback2: 1

Sega Master System: 3

Sega Genesis: 8

Sega Saturn: 5

Sega Dreamcast: 5

Playstation: 6

Playstation 2: 3

XBox: 3

N-Gage: 1

My Top 10 consoles (in no particular order), and why:

-Atari 2600...sooo many games, sooo many controllers, sooo many add-ons and accessories. The definative video game console IYAM

-Atari 5200...the games (esp. Space Dungeon); no stinkers in the whole bunch, and the look of the system itself. I like the controllers too

-Odyssey 2...part gameplay, part vanity, and part nostalgia; it looks awesome, and has some awesome games, which were the first classic games I'd been exposed to, discounting the NES I grew up with (which wasn't "classic" yet)

-Intellivision...the second retro console I acquired after the Odyssey 2, holds some nostalgic value, but mostly it's about the games. Atarisoft titles in particular are stellar IMO

-NES...I wasted my youth on this thing, with a variety of games only the 2600 can rival. And there's still nothing quite like the original Super Mario Bros.

-SNES...TMNT IV, Contra III, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat II, F-Zero, Alien 3, somebody stop me...

-Vectrex...nothing else like it. This thing still blows me away

-Bally Astrocade...kind of a diamond in a rough, this thing is just plain fun. Great games (esp. for late '70s!), innovative controllers

-Nintendo 64...Goldeneye, Turok 2, Mario Kart 64...

-Playstation...Twisted Metal 2, Tenchu, Jet Moto...

Edited by BassGuitari

Good idea! I pretty much agree with your list, but there are a few differences. I'd replace the N64 with the Genesis, as there are so many games I loved on that system. I'd replace the playstation with the Turbographx, which is on of my all time favorite platforms. Other than that, I'm right there with ya, though I'm starting to believe some of the current gen consoles are going to be favorites, the DS for sure.

What is a N64 worth?

I have been seeing them lately for around twenty five to thirty bucks.

I didnt know if they were worth it or not especially since the games are still relatively expensive.

WP

The N64 is a good system and worth collecting for. For me it has around 60 games that are worth owning, but I'm sure that number is different for everybody. It was the first Nintendo system I owned, after I upgraded (I'm talking technology-wise) from the Genesis/32X/CD. And while the games are still a little pricey, you can get great deals if you look hard enough. Garage sales and craigslist work for me.

What is a N64 worth? I have been seeing them lately for around twenty five to thirty bucks.

If you want one that's a decent price, but I've been seeing them for $15-$20 around here. Like others have said, the price of games haven't completely dropped yet. Thrift stores and pawn shops tend to have tons of cheap sports games (Madden and WCW are a dime a dozen) while Tony Hawk and anything with Mario on it may end up costing you what you paid for the used system!

In a loose order:

1. Sega Saturn

2. Super Nintendo

3. Nintendo DS

4. Sega Genesis

5. Nintendo64

6. Playstation

7. Atari 7200

8. Playstation 2

9. SNK Neo-Geo AES

10. Dreamcast

I rank the AES so low simply due to cost of the system and I've really only been able to play it emulated, yet quite pleased with what I have seen. I'm also not too much of a retro gamer obviously and my uncle owns a 7200, it's what I played when visiting growing up. Some great memories with it. My absoulte favorite system is the Saturn, just something about it that screams at me like: "Hey, over here! Play me!". Then the reasoning for ranking the DS so high is because I haven't played a handheld as much as I have this system and have only owned it for a few months. The wireless multiplayer and great games make it an instant plus in my opinion.

these are the ones that i like and have played the most thats it

Genesis/CD

3DO

Atari 2600

Atari 7800

Saturn

Dreamcast

Colecovision

Vectrex

TG-16

and the final one i guess i will just pick the SNES for mario games

Edited by Lemmi

Coolest consoles, okay (in no particular order):-

Atari 2600

Sega Saturn

Gamecube

Videopac/Odyssey2 (might not be great but it is cool)

Nintendo DS

Original Playstation

SNES (but only the beautiful Japanese/Euro model)

Virtual Boy (again, might give you migraines but it's a cool as hell machine)

Vectrex (obviously)

Xbox (but only when you've chipped the hell out of it and put LEDs in :) )

I've always maintained, the 7800 isn't good for what it WAS, it is good for what it IS.

:)

The 7800 is a great system. I play mine all the time, but it does have 2 flaws...

1) Sound. Duh

2) Is it just me or does it not produce natural greens?

I've always maintained, the 7800 isn't good for what it WAS, it is good for what it IS.

If by "what it is", you mean, an affordable system that plays the 2600's library, with an additional set of great arcade ports, including, now, some nice homebrew developments, then I agree wholeheartedly. I think every 2600 fan should have a 7800 as their primary console.

If by "what it is", you mean, an affordable system that plays the 2600's library, with an additional set of great arcade ports, including, now, some nice homebrew developments, then I agree wholeheartedly. I think every 2600 fan should have a 7800 as their primary console.

Absolutely. At the time, it didn't compete well with the NES, because the gaming community was caught up in the rapid progress of gaming technologies, so that didn't really help sell it...

Added to that, the small library of native games were dominated by arcade ports that were also seeming a bit long in the tooth at the time. The remainder were quirky odd titles that didn't necessarily have a lot of high profile interest, regardless of if they were good or bad games.

It made the 7800 a loser for what it WAS. But, today, with the things you point out, and the advantage that it is the sole platform that the CC2 works on, it makes it the LOGICAL choice for anyone interested in 2600 collecting.

Magnavox Odyssey (1972 version)

Commodore 64GS (it's a console, quite a lot of good carts for this system)

Atari XEGS (it's a console, most excellent cartridge games range available)

N-Gage (marvelous software range, just started to collect for this platform)

2600 VCS (of course)

DC (good Japanese stuff)

PSX (of course)

Lynx (very good software library)

MegaDrive (of course)

Game Boy (best of Nintendo)

On the other hand there are a lot of consoles I haven't even played yet: Vectrex, CV, Intellivision, PC Engine, and none of the new batch (X-Box onwards)

Edited by thomasholzer