IGNORED

Artifacting on PAL Ataris...

CharlieChaplin

Hello folks,

attached is an article by Joel goodwin (from New Atari User, issue 52) on how to achieve artifacting on PAL Ataris. The article also contains a type-in listing in Atari Basic. Since i am much too lazy to type in the article and the listing, I scanned everything in black & white and 300 dpi. Hopefully someone finds this information useful... greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Hello folks,

in the above article, they wrote that the forthcoming issue of Page 6 / NAU (issue 53) would contain a game (named "Runaround") that uses PAL artifacting. Alas, I do not have this issue, so I cannot post it here... but if someone else has it, why not share it with us ?!?

Besides, maybe someone can post a small demo-program for NTSC artifacting (in Atari Basic), so we can directly compare the differences between NTSC and PAL artifacting... greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

• 7 years later...

Hello folks,

attached is an article by Joel goodwin (from New Atari User, issue 52) on how to achieve artifacting on PAL Ataris. The article also contains a type-in listing in Atari Basic. Since i am much too lazy to type in the article and the listing, I scanned everything in black & white and 300 dpi. Hopefully someone finds this information useful... greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

Sorry that you had to remove it. But maybe you want to answer the following question: There are two types of artifacting on PAL: One is the usual color-carrier cross-talk that creates the artifacts on NTSC. The difference is that you don't need a 1:2 sampling (since the color-carrier sits at a different position in PAL), but rather a 4:10 sampling, i.e. draw a bit-pattern line 01010010100 etc... This will give "some" artifacting in Gr.8. By adding offsets to the pattern, a couple of colors can be generated.

Second type of artifacting is to exploit the vertical color subsampling in PAL, i.e. chroma is averaged every other line. That is, if you draw two horizontal lines of the same luminance, but with different hues, the two hues will be mixed.

The latter is often called PAL-artifacting, though it works by completely different means than the hi-res color-carrier cross-talk the NTSC artifacting is based on.

Do you happen to know what the article described? Or is there any third effect I am not aware of?