IGNORED

5200 Frogger vs. 8 bit Frogger (PB)

Paranoid

So, I thought I noticed something, and I've done some comparing, and I'm certain this is the case...

On the 5200, the stuff at the top LOOKS like ivy leaves... the Frogger Homes/Bays. It is pointed, it is really distinct.

On the 8 bit, it looks more like a random computer tile. Same thing with emulation, for *either* the 8 bit or the 5200 (using Kat 4.0 for 5200, Atari800Win+ for the 8 bit).

Not just superior video output on the 8 bit showing flaws, either... because my 8 bit is hooked up via RF, whereas my 5200 is a R Y G composite cable modded unit. So, my 5200 has a very clear picture...

Can someone else with the right equipment verify this? FWIW, on the 8 bit, the ivy at the top looks pretty much the same as in Kat 4.0 or Atari800Win+ (or Xport AtariXLbox, for that matter). It is only on genuine Atari 5200 hardware that the ivy looks like this really well rendered ivy.

Is it possible that they're using built in tiles of some sort (like ANSI graphics), and the tile on the 5200 that corresponds to the tile on the 8 bit is just better rendered, so that the same code executed on either machine results in a "better" ivy on the 5200 than on the 8 bit?