IGNORED

Live Arcade Games

Gabriel

I'm a bit disappointed in Joust. It's because they didn't bother coding the egg wave behavior properly. All of the eggs show up in the same place every time instead of intentionally staying away from wherever you are to start the wave.

Yes, I'm whining. ;)

Edited by HammR25

Well, it's official... Every Extend Extra Extreme totally kicks ass. I didn't really get into the previous versions, but this one is the perfect marriage of viciously intense gameplay and catchy techno tunes. It's everything that Space Giraffe could have been if that game hadn't been held hostage by Jeff Minter's ego.

I'm apparrently not getting it (Every Extend Extra Extreme). In one game mode you just move to a big cluster of purina dog chow and hit A, watch the colored dots zip around the screen, listen to popping sounds, then rematerialize and repeat forever. In the other game, you just hold A to watch everything die.

I like the visuals. I'm just not seeing the game here.

That's kind of an oversimplification. It's not simply a matter of jamming the A button to blow up weird shapes. You've got to position yourself and hit the detonator at exactly the right time, so you can start a chain reaction that blows up nearly every weird shape on the screen. It seems simple, but there are a lot of factors to take into account... do you let the explosion continue, or abort it to collect power-ups that extend your time? Do you hit the plunger right now, or head to another section of the screen and risk having your bomb get snuffed out by the enemy forces before you can detonate it? It's not immediately evident, but there is some strategy here. Plus, EEEE manages to cram the screen full of sprites without leaving you hopelessly lost, which really makes a big difference when you're playing for high scores.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, Talisman would have been a great Halloween release, but it seems the people in charge didn't have the same thought.

Live Arcade has been pretty blah from my perspective lately. Battlestar Galactica turned out to be Novadrome III (Wing Commander was Novadrome II). At least there's some sensation of speed and action this time around. It's still not worth $10.

Mutant Storm Empire popped out today. That might have been interesting a year ago.

Still haven't gotten around to actually playing Puzzle Quest. I spent last night playing Ace Combat 6 and Guitar Hero II.

Puzzle quest sets a pretty high bar for XBLA games IMHO. Most XBLA games I download only get played for a week or so...basically til I get all of the achievements or beat the game. Puzzle quest has already held my attention for longer than any other release other that Castlevania.

Agreed, I loaded up and played PuzzleQuest last night even though I've already beat the game and gotten all the achievements. Good stuff. I heard Exit was decent, but haven't tried it out yet.

Agreed, I loaded up and played PuzzleQuest last night even though I've already beat the game and gotten all the achievements. Good stuff. I heard Exit was decent, but haven't tried it out yet.

Bleh, didn't dig Exit.

Too much like Cloning Clyde, and in general the slow-moving physical puzzle aspect isn't too appealing to me.

YMMV. It looked kind of neat.

Thank goodness for the return of the preview culture :-)

I'm apparrently not getting it (Every Extend Extra Extreme). In one game mode you just move to a big cluster of purina dog chow and hit A, watch the colored dots zip around the screen, listen to popping sounds, then rematerialize and repeat forever. In the other game, you just hold A to watch everything die.

I like the visuals. I'm just not seeing the game here.

io was the same way.....(hit A and sit back and watch the explosions). till I figured out i can hit A again to STOP the explosion

and grab all the power-ups and so it again.....i think there's more to it still... I gotta try it again....

now back to the GH3 demo..... me thinks i want this for christmas!

-rick

btw I have puzzle quest for the DS. and it's excellemt.... should i get the XBLA version?

• 2 months later...

Wow both these games look good. Tron was a given, but Omega Five I have never heard of. I'll snag both of these for sure.

In other Live news.

They released the list of top selling Live titles over at IGN...

Gamers are reliving their arcade glory days on XBLA.Best-selling Xbox Live Arcade Titles, 2007

1. TMNT 1989 Arcade

2. Worms

3. Castlevania: SOTN

4. UNO

5. Bomberman Live

6. 3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures

7. Sonic The Hedgehog

8. Pinball FX

9. Geometry Wars Evolved

10. Texas Hold 'em

Seems like an off beat result.

No Pac-Man CE? No Puzzle Quest? Anyways. I guess you can't argue with sale figures. Personally I think people are missing out on some really great games.

Downloaded Omega Five and Tron this morning.

Tron is Tron. Nothing more. Nothing less. But the best thing is Digital Eclipse/Backbone did something which seems seldom bothered with in Live Arcade games. They put in the option for alternate control schemes. You can change your move/fire between sides and have your fire direction be determined by a virtual spinner or by absolute stick direction.

I suck at Tron, and don't think it's that good of a game to begin with. But it's nostalgic, so I blew 400 points.

Omega Five is a scrolling shooter with the control scheme of a omni-shooter, or Forgotten Worlds, whichever comparison has meaning for you. It seemed fair the limited amount I played of it, so it was easy to decide to plunk down my 800 points. It's more scrolling shooter than anything else, and that's a severely ignored genre on Live Arcade.

I liked Omega Five quite a bit. It's a great hybrid of Forgotten Worlds and R-Type, with snazzy graphics (the worm in the second stage is a sight to behold, even though it's been a shooter cliche since 1998) and gameplay that changes radically depending on the character you select.

Tron, however... it's got problems. Aiming doesn't work as well as it should with an analog stick and the music is terrible. They totally blew this one... the only thing they did right is offer all four stages in the trial version of the game. That way, you've got absolutely no reason to pay five bucks for this crap!

I'm kinda surprised at the absence of Pac-Man CE and Puzzle Quest...those are probably my 2 favorite XBLA games.

I'm amazed that stinker minigolf game is a bestseller.

I'm not. It's great for kids.......although it's mainly a rehash of the PC minigolf game Sierra released in the 90s.

Tron, however... it's got problems. Aiming doesn't work as well as it should with an analog stick and the music is terrible.

Try control method C (absolute aim) before you judge. I really liked the demo and am going to try the full game later tonight. but i am a Tron arcade fan so YMMV.