IGNORED

EricBall's Tech Projects - GCN Pikmin (completed) / Pikmin 2

RSS Bot

Got both of these cheap when the local video store closed, along with WarioWare.

Just some final thoughs on Pikmin now that I've finished the game; although I ended up restarting from the beginning when I realized I was too far behind to get all of the parts in 30 days. And I guess that's my main complaint with Pikmin: the 30 day time limit is "un-fun". The time limit on each day isn't bad (except for the final boss), but it's disheartening to realize you're at day 20 with 15 parts still to collect. My other complaint is with some of the "boss" enemies it's difficult to determine if you have the right strategy. The final boss was like that - having him eat bombrocks (often including the yellow pikmin carrying them) seemed to be the only way to do any noticable damage. But I found I was running out of bombrocks, Pikmin and time while the boss still had a quarter of it's life remaining. I found myself going to the online strategy guides for help more than once; something else which feels like cheating to me.

But a fun game none the less. Oh, and one other item I learned on the last time through was to kill enemies rather than trying to avoid them. Not only does it clear the path, making it easier to get the parts back to the ship, but it builds up the Pikmin reserves. Which then means you have 100 Pikmin to take on other enemies, rather than 50 or less. Power in numbers (although be careful on bridges or other narrow walkways).

I'm about a third of the way through Pikmin 2, and I'm finding it just as enjoyable as the first; maybe even a little more. Although it's a sequel, the developers have used this in a positive way. There are little tweaks (like the Pikmin leaving the Onion faster, and sprouting faster) and a little more flash on the menus and other navigation items. I also really appreciate the lack of an apparent time limit (although the day cycle is still there, except when you're underground). The controls have been changed slightly (I find myself pressing Y instead of Start when I want the map), but the basic game mechanics are still there.

My main complaint, so far, is the first 5 days or so is very linear. But now that I have all 5 colors of Pikmin it's much more open-ended exploration. (It was a little frustrating when I could see, but couldn't get to, the blue Onion.) I also wish there was some way to tell the game to skip all of the "Pikmin 101", but at least it's over with.

The Olivar/Louie split gameplay is interesting (although I wish there was a way to split them without splitting the Pikmin). I also think I need to change my tactics slightly. I was leaving one near the landing place while the other went exploring with a full complement of colors. The one near the Onions could either do some gathering, or simply manage the Pikmin returning with enemies and treasure. But I recently had a fair number of white and purple Pikmin wiped out when they got ambushed by a rock spitting enemy. So now I think I'm going to have Olivar lead a group of red+yellow+blue Pikmin to handle the main exploration with Louie a safe distance back with the purple and white Pikmin; who can be brought forward when their special talents are required. We'll see how that works.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2566