IGNORED

atari2600land's Blog - Kind of chronogaming: RRR

RSS Bot

I'm going to play every Game Boy Advance title from now until the very last one, which the GBA games will probably end this year, although I don't know why, I mean, Nintendo has been putting out new GBA games since the DS has come out. The only thing now that can trump the GBA is a new Game Boy, but many have said (and I believe this) the DS is the new Game Boy. Well, anyway, here's the first review: Rayman Raving Rabbids. You've heard me talk about it, now here's how I feel about it.

This game is difficult. Not in the sense that it's hard to get past stages, it's difficult in the sense that first you have to figure out what you need to do in order to pass the stage. For instance, at the level 2 boss, I fought for 15 minutes without going anywhere, until i found out that in order to beat the boss, you need to spit out gum on the bombs to make them stop, and then throw them at the rabbid thrice. What is a rabbid? Simply put, Ubisoft took out the t in the word "rabbit" and replaced it with a d. These things look a lot like rabbits, and not only that, they also eat carrots. Elmer Fudd would have a field day. Unfortunately, you're not Elmer Fudd, you're Rayman. And who is Rayman? A guy with no legs or arms. He does have hands and feet which float around mysteriously. You can throw your hands to catch onto things or throw your feet while hanging to free things from cages. And get this: You have infinite lives! While there is a "game over" screen, once you start up again, you're exactly back where you started from!

But while the game is innovative, and has great graphics, one thing fails to come to mind when playing this game, and that is fun. That's not to say that the game is funny, but if you're the kind of person who likes straightforward Mario-type platforms, don't get this. If you like confusing games where you don't have any idea what you're doing, by all means get it.

pros:

+ Great Graphics

+ Saves level info even if you don't complete the level

+ Different costumes with different abilities

cons:

- I have no idea what to do sometimes

- While trying to be innovative, it strays too far off the beaten path.

- Infinite lives!

ratings:

Graphics - 8.0 - Very nice for a GBA platformer. Once again, Ubisoft goes beyond the call of duty for Rayman.

Game Design - 3.0 - Getting stuck and trying to figure out what to do is by no means fun. They should have just made this a regular ol' platform game.

Fun - 2.0 - Not very in the least

total: 4.0

-

next game, either Arthur & the Minimoys or Dark Light (both due out in January.)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2658