Brad_from_the_80s

Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Brad_from_the_80s last won the day on February 21

Brad_from_the_80s had the most liked content!

6 Followers

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Brad_from_the_80s's Achievements

Moonsweeper

Moonsweeper (5/9)

1. "Worst game ever" is a tired old exaggeration. It's a neat little game and totally classic and historical Atari 2600. And it's not that difficult to get the hang of it just by reading the manual once. Looks like a nice clean copy.
  2. Meh. I didn't buy a bunch of duplicates, but I do have a clean Haunted House just for the artwork.
  3. I've purchased a few individually without issue. I assume these are just passing through the hands of somebody reselling something they found, probably don't even have a working 2600 to test with. All of them have worked, and the odds are high that they will in fact "just work" most of the time IMO. I don't know how likely it is somebody would go to all the trouble to just be dishonest about it for a few bucks, but untested probably calls for a bit lower price than average.
  4. Ouch, those tricky ColecoVision carts. PB in their wisdom, geez. I've tried to warn people about that one. Don't need one myself, sorry.
  5. It's perfectly fine. Most of these carts are not rare or valuable. I would not replace a label for minor aging, wear, dirt, discoloration, historical markings (names typically), or if it can just be partially glued down again. But torn, damaged, punctured, or excessive fading, etc.. sure, why not? Just that a lot of "replacement" labels are not fully accurate, just reasonable approximations of the original, so if you care about that they are not all the same and you have to do your homework. Depending on the printing technology/quality it is also not clear how long some of the replacements will really last. So far I've only found one full replacement necessary, and a couple missing end labels with close-enough replacements. Most of the rest I just did some light cleaning and gluing when necessary.
  6. Think knock-off Death Star trench battle scene.
  7. There's always a couple more I still didn't have...
  8. I went back and loaded some 8-bit software. The 8-bit Pac-Man plays without issue. 5200 might work okay with another controller (Xbox/PS) and some fine-tuning, but not with the included CXSTICK. Tried a few more classics and generally easy to start and play, although a few I tried have to be run as 130XL. The 8-bit Pole Position was kind of cool because you actually need to use low gear.
  9. You my be right. That's just the first thing I tried since I had the roms laying around. The 8-bit version is virtually identical, maybe that's true across the board. I just didn't have it handy, don't even know if it is a cart or a disk or (lol) a tape.
  10. I got one yesterday and tried it out a little today. Serial 5754. It's smaller than I thought it would be, I don't know. Based on the 2600+ maybe. I know its a true mini, but I wouldn't have minded 20-30% larger. Anyway, my joystick seems perfectly fine. I even got an extra but have not unboxed that one. Feels somewhat like the CX-40+, but less stiff. Not as loose as the AtGames CX-40 knock-offs I've been using, which feel something more akin to a Sanwa with a square gate. But I didn't have any problems playing built-in games, including "Lee". I did learn that 2600 Asteroids is way WAY better than this version, sorry. Where the joystick fell down, and I think this is software, is when it tries to emulate the 5200 controller. 5200 Pac-Man was unplayable, and barely playable with adjustments to the controller settings. This aspect needs more work. The screen also seems slightly cropped vertically in 5200 game. I was thinking about a general "solution" for 5200 gaming, and I think I'd prefer the 400 Mini over the GSP for this, but it just isn't working that good going by my brief Pac-Man experience. Overall I really like the concept, like the software, the menus and nav, and that it runs Atari BASIC, can use a real keyboard and conceivably run other non-gaming software. I never had an Atari anything but remember this era of gaming and home computers with my little TI-99, so this is really pretty cool. Definitely more fiddly and less plug-and-play when games often need additional special buttons and keys and mapping is almost on a per-game basis, but given enough time to mess with it all I think it will be a pretty cool system
  11. Almost looks like they're using 7800 screenshots on the box, but in fact they did a reasonable reproduction of the 7800 graphics on the 2600 version. Obviously not quite as nice but that they attempted these visuals at all and kind of succeeded.
  12. An old 3rd-party for 7800. Decent game. There is also a 2600/7800 variant (really just 2600). Comes in a glorified "Activision" cart. Was a pain to get it to load at all, even though it really wasn't dirty. But it does work on 2600+.
  13. Technically Atari RealSports Tennis is "better" but this one is very pick up and play enjoyable.
  14. Yeah, I'm kind of pivoting to 7800 at this point, but not in any kind of a hurry. And I already have Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Centipede, Joust, Galaga, Mario Bros, Pole Position II, Asteroids and Commando at least.