Jump to content
  • entries
    657
  • comments
    2,699
  • views
    900,556

Minor update


SpiceWare

815 views

My sister's taking a little longer than to expected to get here, so I put in the new title graphics while I've been waiting. The graphics didn't work as is though, I had to shift the letters FRANT to the left by 1 pixel due to PF alignment of the 2nd color.

blogentry-3056-0-48792400-1305248116_thumb.png blogentry-3056-0-87035500-1305248121_thumb.png

The colors I'm using are:

FranticLogoColor:
.byte 0, HAIR		; 0
.byte 0, FACE		; 1
.byte WHITE-4, FACE		; 2
.byte RED+6, RED+4	; 3
.byte WHITE-6, WHITE	; 4
.byte WHITE-2, WHITE	; 5
.byte WHITE-2, WHITE-6	; 6
.byte WHITE-4, WHITE-2	; 7
.byte WHITE-8, RED+4	; 8 
.byte WHITE-8, WHITE	; 9
.byte WHITE-6, WHITE	; 10
.byte WHITE-8, WHITE	; 11
.byte WHITE-8, RED+4	; 12
.byte WHITE-4, RED+4	; 13
.byte WHITE-2, RED+4	; 14
 

 

Defined as this for NTSC:

WHITE		= $0F
RED		= $40
HAIR		= $F4
FACE		= $4F
 

And this for PAL (the taller screenshot):

WHITE		= $0F 
RED		= $60
HAIR		= $44
FACE		= $6F
 

 

Let me know if any of those should be changed.

 

NTSC (ROMS require a Harmony Cartridge, or the custom build of Stella)

F20110512_NTSC.bin

 

PAL

f20110512_PAL.bin

 

Source (includes ROMs)

Frantic20110512.zip

8 Comments


Recommended Comments

Ah, you fixed it!.

 

If shifting the title over 1 pixel is what helped it, well, it sure looks good to me!

Link to comment

Back from Wisconsin, had a great time visiting my brother for his 40th. Found out that a friend's in town for work this week, so it'll be a few more days before I resume work on Frantic.

 

Thanks, I've been using that SpiceWare logo since the 80s. When I first put it into Medieval Mayhem, the extenders weren't quite as long due to the 48 pixel limit, so I initially extended them using the missiles and eventually decided to use the playfield as well to make it extend the entire width.

 

Originally I'd planned to use GRP0 for the player and GRP1 for all the robots - during the long drive (24 hours up, 21 back - we were towing a U-Haul with my brother-in-law's motorcycle on the way up) I got to thinking it would probably be better to use both sprites to draw everything. Anybody done flicker w/both sprites before? If so, any pointers?

Link to comment
Anybody done flicker w/both sprites before? If so, any pointers?

 

IIRC Manuel (Cybergoth) did a unique semi-intelligent flicker routine for Star Fire which used a partial bubble sort. There's probably even stuff in the Stellalist archives. I did something similar for my (unfinished) Lode Runner style Supercharger game (although it's been a long time since I've looked at the code, and it used a RAM bitmap for the player sprites).

Link to comment

Hmm - so I'd sort it based on a "frames since last displayed" descending, followed by the Y value. Then walk down the list and put the 1st object in P0, 2nd object in P1. Next object would go into either sprite based on Y not overlapping the height + reposition scanline. :ponder:

Link to comment

Hmm - so I'd sort it based on a "frames since last displayed" descending, followed by the Y value. Then walk down the list and put the 1st object in P0, 2nd object in P1. Next object would go into either sprite based on Y not overlapping the height + reposition scanline. :ponder:

 

Yep, that's kinda the thing Manuel did, but the sort wasn't a complete sort, but just one pass. (Or maybe two, one in each direction.) The idea was to keep the number of cycles required down while still achieving a decent result.

Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...