IGNORED

7800 Rescue on Fractalus

Curt Vendel

Hi everyone,

Well I think everyone has been VERY patient waiting for the ROM release. It still not working totally correct in emulation (still has a band of color across the cockpit window which is doesn't have on the real board).

This was a WIP progress, but gives you an idea of what the game would've eventually had been like on the Atari 7800, enjoy!

This ROM board was given to me to Steve Golson to get back up and running and I'd like to give a big round of thanks to him and the GCC guys.

Curt

rescue.zip

This is SOOO Buttery smooth!!! Literally, this would have been the Fractalus we all wanted with slightly better graphics, at least the cockpit looks better, the outside graphics appear to be the same as the 5200 graphics. But the actual ship and motion movements is about 100x smoother overall!

Too bad this wasn't finished up more...

BTW... who is Blazer?

Makes me wonder why they picked up and finished Ballblazer but not Rescue on Fractalus. Maybe ROF wasn't far enough along to finish (although it looks fairly far along to me). I wonder if some enterprising young 7800 programmer could finish it?

Tempest

Makes me wonder why they picked up and finished Ballblazer but not Rescue on Fractalus.  Maybe ROF wasn't far enough along to finish (although it looks fairly far along to me).

Probably because of the extra RAM it required.

Mitch

Probably because of the extra RAM it required.

Could be, but then again Ballblazer required an extra Pokey chip.

I would not be surprised if Rescue on Fractalus also would have had a POKEY chip on board. That, combined with extra RAM, may have really helped to sink it.

..Al

Almost forgot to mention, some of the other unreleaased protos will be made available as well shortly, thanks.

You da' man!!! This is absolutely one of the coolest things I have ever seen in this hobby. Totally freakin' cool!!!! A big round of applause for this guy!!!

has anyone tried on the CC2?

and what setting?

or will it work?

Firstly, the .a78 format won't work with the CC2. I tried simply renaming it to a .bin and tried a few different settings with no luck.

You'd need to strip off the first 128 bytes to return the a78 to .bin format.

That's pretty cool, even in its current state. That was one of the Lucasfilm games (Ballblazer being the other) written up in Electronic Games for the September 1984 issue, and was one of the reasons I wanted to buy a 7800 (which was also previewed in the same issue). I looked for this game forever for the 7800, but of course it was never released. The future of the 7800 looked so promising at the time...

The Lucasfilm article in EG was pretty good, and went into some depth on both games. If I have the chance, I'll scan it in and post it somewhere.

Looks like there was a little rivalry between programmers (top left of screen):

rescue.gif

and what setting?

or will it work?

Firstly, the .a78 format won't work with the CC2. I tried simply renaming it to a .bin and tried a few different settings with no luck.

Once again, is there a kind and brilliant soul out there who could help the idiots (like me :P ) with this?

Thanks,

SS

and what setting?

or will it work?

So is this the same as 7800 Crossbow and Alien Brigade as the menu generate can fix them by moving the first 128 * 1024 extra bank from the start to the end of the ROM file?