IGNORED

Atarimax/ABBUC USB Cartridge Now Available!

classics

smallcart_with_cable.jpg

Larger Photo

I happy to announce that in co-operation with ABBUC, the Atari XL/XE USB Cartridge is now available.

The cartridge is professionally produced, with all open-source software.

Pre-ordering begins now and ends with shipments starting 12/01/2004.

Limited edition pricing is $39.99 per cartridge (about 31 Euro). After 12/01/2004 the price will increase to $49.99.

For complete product information and the order form go to:

http://www.atarimax.com/usbcart/

Highlights:

:arrow: USB 1.1 Chipset compatible with 'Low' and 'High' Speed Devices.

:arrow: Hardware and software designed by ABBUC, the largest Atari 8-bit Users Club in the world.

:arrow: Open source software development.

:arrow: Hobbyist oriented design, no surface mounted parts.

:arrow: Highest quality color labels.

:arrow: Early beta software already shows great promise.

:arrow: PCB includes full layout for future 'slave mode' components.

ABBUC will also have cartridges available for purchase by its members and possibly on thier web page as well once product starts shipping.

There's always the same question raised whenever a device like this comes out....... will there be a Mac version of the USB cart upload software?

Hello Steve,

the current USB Cart is an USB Master Device, that is it can manage USB Slave Devices like Keyboards, Joystciks, Scanner, Pronter etc.

PC's and MAC's are also USB Matser devices, and it is not possible to attach two master USB Devices directly. But there are special USB Cable to connect two PC's or two Mac's, but we have to investigate if this cable needs an properitary protocol.

But be sure, if there will be ever such solution for the card from me, it will be first for Mac, then for Linux/xBSD and last for Windows....

Of course it will be OpenSource, so every Windows Programmer can port it to Windows anytime.

Best regards

Carsten

I think a mass storage driver that connects to disk drives and memory sticks has not been written yet.

Since only 3 or 4 prototype carts exist right now, we'll have to wait and see what happens when everyone can get involved with the project.

Steve

would it be possible to connect an USB stick? and with an usb stick containing tons of ATR/EXEs... booting & playing them?????

this would be a great step forward as with the existing flashcart where you have to "flash" the cart which takes a long time...

Hi,

the Microusb team is working on supporting USB Storage (USB Sticks, Harddisks, etc).

There will be a USB Cart FAQ on http://microusb.org/ in the next days that will answer this question in detail.

Best regards

Carsten

Can you hook up a 3.5" drive to it?  That would be cool!

Harddrive, USB Stick, ZIP Drives, Floppy Drives, CF Card readers, ....

everything is USB Storage and might be handled by an USB Stroage driver.

We are working on it. But it might take a year or more to finish a driver for USB Stroage.

Best regards

Carsten

Can this allow multiple device connections at once via a hub?

I also wonder what the overhead is in talking to USB, how much the Atari8 has to massage the data going in and out. If the cart does most of the hard work then you'd presume this thing could solve a lot of the problems that MIOs and Black Boxes used to solve through the PBI, namely a fast serial, parallel, and hard drive interface.

You could do this quite easily in theory by hooking up USB devices to a hub.

Although I assume you wouldn't be able to do concurrent USB I/O to multiple devices. The Black Box allows you to do disk I/O without blocking modem I/O via some kind of interrupt scheme.

We are working on it. But it might take a year or more to finish a driver for USB Stroage.
Is a problem here that you effectively have to write you're own FAT handler in order to manage the filesystem? Or do these devices sometimes contain their own micros that do that work for you?

Similarly, some of the networking devices such as http://www.zonetusa.com/DispProduct.asp?ProductID=130 could be used, but again, how much work is the device going to do for you?

Studying linux device driver code could help in some instances, as trying to get help from the manufacturers isn't always fruitful. :(

Regards,

Mark

Can this allow multiple device connections at once via a hub?

I also wonder what the overhead is in talking to USB, how much the Atari8 has to massage the data going in and out.  If the cart does most of the hard work then you'd presume this thing could solve a lot of the problems that MIOs and Black Boxes used to solve through the PBI, namely a fast serial, parallel, and hard drive interface.

You could do this quite easily in theory by hooking up USB devices to a hub.

Although I assume you wouldn't be able to do concurrent USB I/O to multiple devices.  The Black Box allows you to do disk I/O without blocking modem I/O via some kind of interrupt scheme.

I'll add this question to the FAQ, it's a good one :)

We currently don't support USB Hubs, so we only support one Device per USB Controller. Supporting HUBs is a matter of an HUB Driver, so it is a software thing, the Cart can handle this. But the HUB Driver must be able to work with all kinds of USB Devices, so this peace of software is not simple. We have postponed looking at a HUB driver for now.

The USB Cart is not working with Interrupt, but with polling. The design was not made for High-Speed IO, we are working on a seperate, optimized solution here.

The overhead talking plain USB is low, a normal HID driver is under 200 Bytes of code. But with Strogae devices it's get more complicated, because you have USB protocol (that is easy), SCSI on top of USB (more work) and finally VFAT32 on top of SCSI.

There is a full VFAT32 driver (OpenSource) from the C=1 project (in 6502 Machinelanguage) I like to (re-)use.

Whoever likes to have a USB Storgae solution attached to the PBI is free to do so (that is, build one), every bit of our work is open source (Hardware and Software)

Best regards

Carsten

Is a problem here that you effectively have to write you're own FAT handler in order to manage the filesystem? Or do these devices sometimes contain their own micros that do that work for you?

Similarly, some of the networking devices such as http://www.zonetusa.com/DispProduct.asp?ProductID=130 could be used, but again, how much work is the device going to do for you?

Studying linux device driver code could help in some instances, as trying to get help from the manufacturers isn't always fruitful. :(

Regards,

Mark

Such Ethernet2USB Adapter are interesting. But I guess there are two main problems

a) driver and protocol are not open

b) TCP/IP must be done in software

I would really like to have something like the Lantronix (with TCP/IP in Hardware)

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking...ers/uds-10.html

with an USB instead an RS232 interface.

But to connect an Atari over Ethernet to the Internet, the Lantronix Box is the best I know today.

Maybe we can make a new revision of the cart with an W3100A Hardwired Internet Connectivity Chip ( http://www.beyondlogic.org/etherip/ip.htm ) on board to provide Ethernet and TCP/IP on chip.

Best regards

Carsten

Hi,

we have released an Analog Joystick Driver at

http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/Mic...usb/ProjUSBCart

Documentation and Example Programs (Basic, Turbo Basic, ACTION!) on how to use the USB Analog Joysticks functions will be provided in the next weeks.

A Game-Patch for USB Analog Joystick will follow.

Does anyone has a game in Sourcecode (Basic, TurboBasic, ACTION! or Assembler) that will benefit from a real analog Joystick Driver?

Here is the Patch to play Boulder Dash 1 with a USB digital Joypad

http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/Mic...BouderDashPatch

Best regards

Carsten