IGNORED

Thinking about a 360 any advice?

kevin242

Hi I am not an expert on the 360. I love Halo on the PC/MAC and would like to play the newer versions! I was holding out for a WII but I am tired of waiting. I was thinking

I might have just as much fun with the 360? What are some games you would recommend? I was thinking of getting the core system, since I donot have a XBOX and so don't need that capability right now (I prob would buy some of the older games eventually,... so can I upgrade to the harddrive later?) are there any other disadvantages to buying the core 360?

Any advice you can think of as a 360 owner that would help me make a decision is appreciated. Also anyone with a WII and a 360 i would be interested in hearing which one you prefer. Thanks a million. I won't pick up a console prob for a couple weeks since I am out of work on sick leave right now, so I have some time to do some research.

Kev

Hi I am not an expert on the 360. I love Halo on the PC/MAC and would like to play the newer versions! I was holding out for a WII but I am tired of waiting. I was thinking

I might have just as much fun with the 360? What are some games you would recommend? I was thinking of getting the core system, since I donot have a XBOX and so don't need that capability right now (I prob would buy some of the older games eventually,... so can I upgrade to the harddrive later?) are there any other disadvantages to buying the core 360?

Any advice you can think of as a 360 owner that would help me make a decision is appreciated. Also anyone with a WII and a 360 i would be interested in hearing which one you prefer. Thanks a million. I won't pick up a console prob for a couple weeks since I am out of work on sick leave right now, so I have some time to do some research.

Kev

I bought a premium version and I am really impressed with it. I bought it for Christmas for my kids so they would free up my new gaming PC as many of the games appear on both platforms. You will need the hard drive to play original Xbox games. And with the downloads, you should just get one anyway. I was lucky and picked one up at Micro Center with the $100 rebate, so the hard drive was basically free. But if you want to play the older games and have the extra cash, the premium is the way to go.

My only problem I have with the 360 is that since many games are also on the PC, I miss the keyboard/mouse control combo for the FPS and RTS games. But I read about the third party adaptor that will be available, so hopefully that will work out.

I have a 360 but no Wii, but in my opinion the 360 is a better start because of the superior graphics and huge game library (the Wii's Cube compatibility notwithstanding). Game recommendations really depend on the type of game you like. Keep in mind the old XBOX games like Halo, Knights of the Old Republic, and Vice City as well as the 360-specific games for which reviews are easy to find.

Yes, you can always add the HD later, but my advice would emphatically be: Don't get the Core system to save a hundred bucks. If you do, you won't be able to save your game without a relatively tiny 64MB memory card, which is $40. You won't be able to store many of the excellent, classic-style XBOX Live Arcade titles to a memory card, either. It makes much more sense to get the "Premium" system which includes a wireless controller, a 20GB hard drive, and the HD cables you will eventually need. Don't settle for 1/300th the storage space to save 1/2 the price.

If you can't afford a $400 system, get a PS2 or Cube instead. You'll want some games to play, and there's plenty of cheap variety for these systems.

As for whether to buy a Core system and upgrade later, or to buy a Premium and have it all out of the box, ask yourself the following questions:

1) Does spending $50 more over the next year or so bother me? (Yes = Go Premium) (No = Go Core)

2) Is pay for download content something I want? (Yes = Go Premium) (No = Go Core)

3) Is online play something I'm interested in? (Yes = Go Premium) (No = Go Core)

4) Do wireless controllers give me a charge? (Yes = Go Premium) (No = Go Core)

Now, there are a few things to add to this. If you don't buy a Premium system, you're going to HAVE to buy a memory card, and that's going to be $40 if you buy it new. If you do buy a Premium system, you're going to HAVE to buy a plug and charge kit for your wireless controller. That will be $20.

Premium:

Base System $400

(includes system with hard drive, basic HD cables, wireless controller, headset, free Live Gold for a period)

spare wireless controller $50

plug n charge kit $20

spare battery (for other controller) $10

Game $60

Total: $540

Core:

Base System $300

(includes system, basic AV cables, wired controller, 1 month free Live Gold)

spare wired controller $40

memory card $40

game $60

Total: $440

Another thing. If you buy a Core, and want HD goodness, you're going to have to buy some new HD cables. If you don't have a HD-TV yet, then you can probably get the cables tossed in with the new set for free. That's the deal I got. Otherwise, the cables are an additional $40 cost.

Basically the Core is a little bit less front loaded, and you can eventually get the same system as the premium by spending a little bit more money over time. The Premium is fully loaded from the start, but still has a few hidden costs (mainly those controller batteries).

I chose the premium simply for the HD and wireless controllers. I have little interest in online play for the most part, but I really enjoy the game demos and XBLA games. Also, wireless controllers are a must for me. Cords for the classic systems are ok...but I really like not being tethered to the more modern consoles.

If you want a complete gaming experience, with cutting edge gameplay, high definition graphics, sound, upgradability, and easy access to multiplayer gaming, and downloads, the choice is clearly Xbox 360. And to reiterate, the Premium package is the only way to go, otherwise you're just shortchanging yourself and upgrading will end up costing you more if you choose the Core system. You simply must have the Hard drive or you're going to miss out on what makes Xbox360 so great and thats the Live service.

One thing is certain, Xbox Live has been up and running for quite a few years now, so the Microsoft online network for the 360 delivers right out of the box. No empty promises, no waiting around, just a little bit of sign-up and you're ready to go. And there's just so much stuff to download. One of my favorite things about Live is the ability to download any Demo for just about every game available on 360 for FREE. Don't have to rent the game or anything, just play the free demos which are typically enough to judge.

There's a ton of stuff to do with Live, it's great, can't say enough about it. Also if you have any kind of HDTV, this makes the Wii an even harder sell. 360 games are simply stunning in high def.

Oh yeah, that Gears of War game? It's on 360. Swish!

If you must have one now, get the Premium. If you want to save some $$$ pick one off Overstock.com. They are always offering 10%-12% off new customers. You'll save about $40 that way and get the HD and Composite cables. The shipping is cheap off that site too.

You might also want to wait around for the Xbox 360 version 2. Has HDMI support and 120 Gig HD. Of course no one knows when it's coming or how much it'll be.

The charge n' play kit is NOT a must. I already use rechargable AA batteries in the house, so the charge n' play kit would be redundant.

I can't agree more about the Premium deal though. The Core unit is totally NOT WORTH IT. It is only good if you don't plan on playing XBox games, not planning on making use of any downloadable content on XBL, and not planning on using anything other than a standard TV. And to be honest, If I was planning on playing my 360 on a standard television and not playing games on XBLA, I would be wondering why I wanted one in the first place.

I got my Premium system for $340 from Dell, which is what a Core system plus a memory card would cost. VERY glad I got one, too.

Chris

Just to add, techbargains.com and cheapassgamer.com are two great resources for deals on stuff like this. Techbargains turned me on to the $340 deal at Dell. Overstock.com always has sales as well. If you are patient, you should be able to save yourself at least $40-$50. Ordering from Dell cost me about $20 in shipping, but there was no sales tax.

Chris

The charge n' play kit is NOT a must. I already use rechargable AA batteries in the house, so the charge n' play kit would be redundant.

:thumbsup:

Why get a system specific charger, when you can just use rechargeable AA's that work with all of your wireless controllers?

... as well as other items, including the GP2X! :D Alternatively, just get a skid of batteries at Costco and chuck 'em when you run out of juice.

(not the environmentalist option, then again, neither is the electricity-suckin' XBOX 360!)

Edited by Flojomojo

While it adds cost, there is also a rapid charger option for 360 that holds 2 of the wireless batteries. I ended up getting this becuse I have several wireless controlers. I think it came with a free battery which somewhat defers the cost.

One nice thing: the last autoupdate seems to have improved the battery readout a bit. It used to be sort of useless for me, but now its just about spot-on.

Cant believe someone mentioned getting a console because the graphics were superior to anothers on an Atari forum! What happened to the gameplay is king argument?!

Get a 360 as the Arcade Live service is brilliant and gears of war is rather good. THEN get a Wii !

I got one for Christmas and loving it , Zelda absolutely rocks.

Cant believe someone mentioned getting a console because the graphics were superior to anothers on an Atari forum! What happened to the gameplay is king argument?!

My guess would be that's because it isn't the 80s anymore. Since then new, exciting and fun games and genres have evolved that require a certain amount of power to present the graphics, features and environments that are integral to their experience.

Can we stop with the incessant 'gRafix R n0T FUN lolz' nonsense? :?

And no this isn't directed at you in particular. :P

Also anyone with a WII and a 360 i would be interested in hearing which one you prefer.

Well, I own all of the 'big three' currently. As far as 360/Wii, I hands down prefer the 360. This is in part due to the type of gamer that I am, and the type of games that I enjoy. I'm not saying there isn't a lot of fun to be had with the Wii, but if I had to choose only one, the Wii would easily be left out.

The Wii is great for gatherings of non gamers, as they love the pick up and play, and physical interactivity of Wii sports. I enjoy Wii sports for brief periods of play in between other stuff, but it lacks any depth to play for long periods of time. I enjoy Zelda as it's a great game once you get past the first couple of hours, but other than that there isn't much else for me in the Wii right now. I don't enjoy movie cartoon licences, and the cross platform games are at their worst on the Wii due to its lack of power, and tacked on (or plain crappy) control schemes involving the wiimote. I enjoy many good FPS type games, but Red Steel is an abomination.

Edited by remowilliams

Get a 360 as the Arcade Live service is brilliant and gears of war is rather good. THEN get a Wii !

I just wish they'd hurry up and get some of the classic game compliations from the V1 xbox working on the 360 in back-compat mode.

Thats right gameplay is King! However, the 360 offers great graphics along with the great gameplay. I don't understand this Wiitard concept that you can only have one or the other. I guess if you own a machine that only offers one thing (gameplay supposedly), I can see how a person could succumb to this mindset.

I'll say this for Nintendo, they have done one heck of a great job brainwashing people into believing great graphics are useless. Serve me up another low definition plate of nonsense please.

Edited by Gunstarhero

Thanks for all the advice. I'm glad I asked, because I see overwhelmingly the core system would actually end up costing me more in the long run.

About the WII/XBOX 360 gameplay/graphics issue:

I don't think Nintendo is saying great graphics automatically equals poor gameplay. Let's face it all consoles have good games and bad games, but they are offering a cheaper product with a unique controller in hopes developers will create new and unique games. Right now, the XBOX 360 looks pretty good to me. Maybe a year from now the WII will be a must have. Personally I don't necessarily obsess over tech specs I just want fun games to play.

Edited by kevin242

I'll say this for Nintendo, they have done one heck of a great job brainwashing people into believing great graphics are useless. Serve me up another low definition plate of nonsense please.

To be honest, I don't think Nintendo has been pushing this gameplay vs graphics issue. I really think it's some Nintendo fanboys doing this. Look at Twilight Princess, while not HD graphics, they are pretty darn good for 480p graphics.

To be honest, I don't think Nintendo has been pushing this gameplay vs graphics issue. I really think it's some Nintendo fanboys doing this.

That is true for the most part. What Nintendo has done unbelievably well is to get people to buy the same console twice and seem ecstatically happy about it. :P

Can you imagine if MS or Sony had said that their revolutionary plan for the next line of consoles was to sell you the same console again, but this time with a different controller so you can flap your arms around? The screaming outcry would have been heard in the next galaxy. :ponder: :lol:

Anyhow, TP is a good game and though the graphics look exactly like a Gamecube (shocker!) they are sufficient for the game, and that's all I ask for in that department. ;)

Can you imagine if MS or Sony had said that their revolutionary plan for the next line of consoles was to sell you the same console again, but this time with a different controller so you can flap your arms around? The screaming outcry would have been heard in the next galaxy. :ponder: :lol:

You forgot the part about waiting until the 11th hour to change the name to something really silly! :)

Edited by FastRobPlus

That is true for the most part. What Nintendo has done unbelievably well is to get people to buy the same console twice and seem ecstatically happy about it. :P

:-o :o :-o :o :-o :o :-o :o Wow, finally someone with the courage to point out that the emperor has no clothes! :evil:

Seriously, I do wonder how long Nintendo will get away with this before the novelty of the Wii wears off, and the backlash begins. Maybe around that time they'll lower the price to the point that I can snag one on impulse without feeling dirty.

Edited by Flojomojo

You guys act like the controller was the only change made with the wii. Of course you just end up spitting out the same rhetoric that you accuse other people of doing.

Get your facts straight ok?

Sigh...

:roll:

Oh and to answer the original question forget the core version it's a waste of time. Hard drive is the way to go. The rest all depends on you're preferences of wireless vs non-wireless and wether you even have a high def tv or not. They way these guys talk everyone has one in every room in their house.

Edited by Shannon