IGNORED

Anyone's Wii freezing?

Xot

My console occasionally freezes when either leaving or returning to the Wii menu. I have never had any game or channel lock up during use, only when starting or ending. I just get a black screen and end up powering the console down and restarting. Called Nintendo and they didn't have any troubleshooting thoughts, just offered to replace the console, which I'm a little reluctant to do with all the Wii friends I've entered in (these can't be saved to an SD card).

Anyone have any thoughts? Should I bite the bullet and replace the console?

Well, I've never experienced this problem personally, nor have I ever heard of it. So it might be worth sending in for them to check it out.

I believe they can transfer data over to another Wii if they have to replace the machine with another one. Not sure if they do that for the Miis, but I would assume that they do. Barring that, you might be able to save the Miis on your console to a Wiimote, so long as you have enough Wiimotes to do so.

Yeap...mine locks up quite often when doing anything online. I think it has to do with the wireless connection dropping off and that confuses the Wii.

It also happens when accessing the Mii channel or before a game starts. By games, I mean Wii or VC it happens on both. Basically...I will click the channel..like the Mii channel or click to start a game and then it will go a black screen.

Trick is...don't assume it is locked up yet...

I usually wait..and after 30seconds to just over a 1min I have had the channel or game start to finally load. Many are reporting this problem and it seems to be tied to WiiConnect24 being turned on. Many people have turned off WiiConnect24 and stated it doesn't happen anymore to them. For me I was able to lessen it by deleting several of the Miis stored on my console. I think I had about 30 or so...

It will still do it now and then but not so much that it really bothers me too much. I just get up and get something to drink or use it as a means for a quick restroom break..etc..

Yeap...mine locks up quite often when doing anything online. I think it has to do with the wireless connection dropping off and that confuses the Wii.

It also happens when accessing the Mii channel or before a game starts. By games, I mean Wii or VC it happens on both. Basically...I will click the channel..like the Mii channel or click to start a game and then it will go a black screen.

I usually wait..and after 30seconds to just over a 1min I have had the channel or game start to finally load. Many are reporting this problem and it seems to be tied to WiiConnect24 being turned on. Many people have turned off WiiConnect24 and stated it doesn't happen anymore to them. For me I was able to lessen it by deleting several of the Miis stored on my console. I think I had about 30 or so...

It will still do it now and then but not so much that it really bothers me too much. I just get up and get something to drink or use it as a means for a quick restroom break..etc..

I'll try and be more patient. :) I did check the Nintendo forums and the issue is a hot topic over there as well, with no real certain fixes. But what you describe is pretty much exactly how mine behaves. I do have a ton of Mii's on there now but it was locking up before that.

First I've heard of this. Although it brings to mind the question of why is it when the PS3 freezes it's front page news but when the Wii freezes it's quietly covered up (or at least not reported)?

Tempest

Well, it's not during game play for starters. But let's not get into conspirac-wii theory here.

First I've heard of this. Although it brings to mind the question of why is it when the PS3 freezes it's front page news but when the Wii freezes it's quietly covered up (or at least not reported)?

Tempest

If it was a common issue, believe me you'd see multiple threads on Wii forums about it.

The fact that there isn't doesnt neccesarily point to a cover up...might be something as simple as, it aint all that common.

Might even be like Crossbow said, not 100% freezing up, just taking longer than normal.

Tempest

If it was a common issue, believe me you'd see multiple threads on Wii forums about it.

The fact that there isn't doesnt neccesarily point to a cover up...might be something as simple as, it aint all that common.

Might even be like Crossbow said, not 100% freezing up, just taking longer than normal.

Well I didn't mean 'cover up' really, I just meant that the anti-Sony fan boys seem to be out in force lately while it appears that the Wii can do no wrong at the moment. Personally I haven't seen a game on either system yet that makes me want to get one (and no Wii Sports does not make me want a Wii).

Tempest

my Wiimote doesnt work when trying to go back to Wii home from Opera.. but since it only happens here, im thiking its Opera, not the wii..

only one time my Wii froze in Excite Truck.. froze with a raelly load sound (music froze to).. other than that, its been good.

Mine has "locked up" a couple times while trying to connect to the Wii Shop. Just sits there and sits there with that spinning circle and the "Waiting To Connect" message. Can't get out of it by hitting the Home key, the reset button, or the power button. Only way is to pull the plug.

Read of the same thing happening to others.

Mendon

Tempest

The press loves an underdog story and loves to see "the giant fall".

Not really fair though.

I see this extended black screen on the Mii channel sometimes, but each time it turns out the system is loading up Miis that have been sent to me. Once it clicks over a few Miis usually drop from the sky into my plaza. The more new Miis waiting to be loaded, the longer it will take

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has "locked up" a couple times while trying to connect to the Wii Shop. Just sits there and sits there with that spinning circle and the "Waiting To Connect" message. Can't get out of it by hitting the Home key, the reset button, or the power button. Only way is to pull the plug.

Actually you don't have to pull the plug. If you hold down the power button for more than a few seconds, it does a hard shutdown and turns off no matter what you were doing. Same thing works on PS3 when I freeze the browser with a bad web page (it's happened a few times).

I just want you to remember that frozen Wii is deadly:

http://www.darwinawards.com/legends/legends1999-02.html

:D

Thank you. I read through the whole thread and thought I'd have to be the first to make that joke. It was especially pressing considering that one person here had their Wii freeze while checking the weather forecast. I guess the forecast called for cold.

Edited by Atarifever