IGNORED

Will a Wii work with a projector?

moycon

That particular projector seems pricy for only being able to go up to 480p. I think Best Buy, Circuit City and the like have infocus brand, Toshiba, and Optima capable of 720p or better for about that same price or just a tad over.

But, yes...projectors will work with the Wii system just fine. As Bretthorror stated above, the Wii is looking for the Sensor bar IR to determine where you are pointing on the screen.

That particular projector seems pricy for only being able to go up to 480p. I think Best Buy, Circuit City and the like have infocus brand, Toshiba, and Optima capable of 720p or better for about that same price or just a tad over.

But, yes...projectors will work with the Wii system just fine. As Bretthorror stated above, the Wii is looking for the Sensor bar IR to determine where you are pointing on the screen.

Actually, I was thinking of getting it from here:

http://www.visualapex.com/LCDprojectors/LC...hop&KW=dv10

Almost $100 less, With a free 92 inch screen, subwoofer and 1 year extended warrenty.

To be honest I dont know much about these projectors. This one has a built in DVD player and has pretty high reviews.

Yeap...i was just looking at BB and CC and noticed that most of the projectors in this price range...(sub $1000) are only 480p. And this unit seems to be among the higher praised of them.

So I stand corrected. It would appear that the new projector we just purchased for our training dept. is only 480p cabable as well. Only we paid just over $1000 for it. Course that was bought about 6months ago...

Yeap...i was just looking at BB and CC and noticed that most of the projectors in this price range...(sub $1000) are only 480p. And this unit seems to be among the higher praised of them.

So I stand corrected. It would appear that the new projector we just purchased for our training dept. is only 480p cabable as well. Only we paid just over $1000 for it. Course that was bought about 6months ago...

It is going to be awesome playing the Wii on a HUGE screen like that. I was at my friends house this past week checking out his 61 inch DLP TV. We were playing COD3 and the feeling of immersion was incredible. Altho in some ways it was almost too much. He has a condo and the TV was almost too big. Luckily I have a wide open living room with a nice high wall. I'm glad this will work with the Wii.

Projectors are cool. Just do a little more research instead of buying the first thing you see. The machine with the built-in DVD player you linked to strikes me as not the best deal in the world. Also remember that eventually, you will need to buy a replacement bulb to the tune of ~$400.

I recommend http://projectorcentral.com and http://avsforum.com for reviews.

Projectors are cool. Just do a little more research instead of buying the first thing you see. The machine with the built-in DVD player you linked to strikes me as not the best deal in the world. Also remember that eventually, you will need to buy a replacement bulb to the tune of ~$400.

I recommend http://projectorcentral.com and http://avsforum.com for reviews.

Actually I did... I checked several review sites. I don't think I saw even 1 bad review for that projector.

Everyone that writes a review says its awesome. The main complain is that the remote doesn't have lit keys...I can deal with that. I'll use my harmony remote if it's a problem.

Even on the link you provided, out of 34 consumer reviews it got an average 4.7 out of 5 stars!

I wound up getting a 3 year bulb warrenty for $99. :D

I have a panasonic AE-900U projector and it works fine for me. Like bretthorror said, it uses the light bar rather than anything on the screen. It really shouldn't matter what kind of projector you have. Now I just wish I had some component cables :)

I use a Wii and a projector. No real problems, but room shape can be an issue, because until they make (or you craft together) a sensor bar w/ its own power, you have the projector in the back, the sensor bar in the front, and likely the Wii somewhere in the middle.

(Or sometimes I've had the sensor in the middle of the table, but then it's greater risk of player shadows than with the high up mount.)

(Also I just got a new projector...the image quality is lovely, but it doesn't zoom as small as my previous one, its made arranging the room more difficult.)

I built a media room and have a 720p LCD PJ. I have built media rooms for other people as well and I generally recommend the Infocus IN76 (720p DLP) to anyone that is serious about having a PJ with a good picture. Getting a 720p PJ is really worth the money (even for 480p material) as you are decreasing the required seating distance before SDE becomes a problem. With 480p that seating distance can be pretty bad.

But, the thing that I really don't like about those combo PJ's is the same thing I never liked about combo TV/VCR's. If one breaks then you have to send the whole thing for repair. Really there are better PJ's for the money. If you want to go 480p DLP then have a look at the Infocus SP4805 which is an amazing PJ or if you can spend a little more look at the IN72 which is it's replacement. BUT, none of that even considers the fact that you can get a HD1000u right now for an unbelievable price. This is a 720p DLP PJ from Mitsubishi and it is a fantastic unit. You can get it for the same price as the PJ you are looking at and it is a much much better buy (incredible buy really.)

For great quality screens at great prices check out Carada: www.carada.com. A fixed-frame screen is a must for a permanent media area. Pull-downs will get wavy.

For great quality screens at great prices check out Carada: www.carada.com. A fixed-frame screen is a must for a permanent media area. Pull-downs will get wavy.

Too late already got my DV10 and it's awesome! It looks perfect. I wont be using the onboard DVD much (Except on the go) an option not even available on 99% of projectors. I think they only released 3 combo projectors and the DV10 by far got the best reviews.

I don't want a projector as a fixed part of my media center at all. It's just for movies and possibly video games (Still haven't tried it out with the Wii yet.) I want to be able to quickly get it all out of the way. This thing is like 6 pounds and comes with a very nice carrying case. Takes about 30 seconds to set up. I ran the s-video for DVD and composite AV for video game input cables under the couches so they can remain in place at all times without clutter. The audio is already piped through the reciever. I know I'm 100% satisfied. My viewing area just increased about 8x. I got a free subwoofer and 92" screen and the whole unit including the lamp warranted for 3 years all for $900. It's literally like being in a movie theater!! No complaints here, I actually did check out many site before hand, I just went with the one that most reviewers seemed estatic about. Including one with a $4,000 media center, he had nothing but praise for the DV10 and said in some instances it performed better than his $2,000 projector!!...and now I myself can see why it has such good reviews!

Check out my theat...errrr I mean living room.

Note : The pictures were taken seconds apart, once with the lights off and then again with them on.

post-544-1169171492_thumb.jpg

post-544-1169171500_thumb.jpg

Edited by moycon

Check out my theat...errrr I mean living room.

Note : The pictures were taken seconds apart, once with the lights off and then again with them on.

Hmm. Next time maybe you should go for a color one.

But seriously, seems like you made a good choice. I love projectors in general.

Yeah it's best to take a pic of the area and then the same area with the lights off.

I agree tho it's hard to take a pic like that. On my camera ,the flash is always wanting to go off when it's dark...and if I turn the flash off I have to auto focus the thing or else it comes out all blurry. I wind up covering the flash.

In any case a picture definately cannot do this type of set up justice. I said the viewing area was 8x bigger than the TV I had, but looking at it again, it looks more like 12x maybe more!! I'm going to measure it at some point. I plan on touching up and painting that entire wall. I hope to get the Wii connected to it sometime this week-end if possible.

Edit: Yep it was possible!! AWESOME! I measured the "screen" it's roughly 5.5 x 10 feet.

post-544-1169365716_thumb.jpg

post-544-1169365730_thumb.jpg

Edited by moycon