IGNORED

Weird 2600 CBG

Shawn

I bid on it, but didn't even come close to winning. At first I thought maybe it was some kind of repro, but when I saw other AAers bidding I figured it was something unique. I'm curious to learn more about it. Maybe Wonder007 will share the details as they become known?

Well, I got the cart today. I fired it up on the console and the only thing that shows up are the color bars...nothing else, no testing pattern intro screen, nothing, just the color bars as shown on the e-bay auction. I honestly think that this a prototype or a cart that was specifically made just to generate color bars. The Videosoft stickers look legit as well.

I am surprised I got this cart for the price I got it for. Very interesting piece!

Well, I got the cart today. I fired it up on the console and the only thing that shows up are the color bars...nothing else, no testing pattern intro screen, nothing, just the color bars as shown on the e-bay auction. I honestly think that this a prototype or a cart that was specifically made just to generate color bars. The Videosoft stickers look legit as well.

I am surprised I got this cart for the price I got it for. Very interesting piece!

I thought the other CBG did the same thing, no? Are they different?

It's the "wonder-effect": people are reluctant to bid when they know they'll most likely get outbid anyway. We're just all waiting now for you to finish your collection, so we can start again ;)

Cheers,

Marco

@ Marco, you know I have been beat before.... :)

@ Omegamatrix- CBG has different testing pattern screens. The cart I got just goes straight to the color bars and that is all it does. The cart itself is something I have never seen before!!! (Two Videosoft stickers)....interesting.

I think a lot of people just didn't bother looking at the discription since they maybe already own a CBG or maybe because there seems to be a few more CBG carts for sale lately. I think you got a cool, unique, possible one of a kind item for a decent price :) Not bad at all man, congratulations :)

I think a lot of people just didn't bother looking at the discription since they maybe already own a CBG or maybe because there seems to be a few more CBG carts for sale lately. I think you got a cool, unique, possible one of a kind item for a decent price :) Not bad at all man, congratulations :)

Thanks for the kind words man!!!!! :)

• 1 month later...

I was playing around with the cart with my joystick and I found some interesting screens other than just the color bars (see following screenshots, sorry for the quality):

DSC04588a.bmp

Screen #1

DSC04590a.bmp

Screen #2

DSC04591a.bmp

Screen #3

When you turn on the game, color bars appear. Nothing will occur unless you have a joystick. If you go down with the joystick and press the button at the same time, you start getting some weird screens and images. In each screen, numbers and/or letters appear at the bottom. When you change the numbers/letters, the screen and/or sound changes. There is also a category on top of those numbers/letters. The following are the categories in order:

1) SND2 • FREQ • VOL

2) SND1 • FREQ • VOL

3) PRO3 FI•CO BITS

4) PRO2 FI•CO BITS

5) PRO1 FI•CO BITS

6) OBJ2

7) O2CL • SPEC •GEO

8 ) OBJL FI•CO BITS

9) O1CL • SPEC •GEO

10) Field Bits

11) CLR • FIELD • SPEC

12) BKG • COLOR

Then screen #3 appears and then color bars. Then, the cycle starts all over. Remember, unlike the regular CBG where you use the select and restart switches to toggle screens, here you use the joystick and the screens are different as described.

I don't know what the above codes/categories mean. I have never seen anything like it. Can anybody shed some light????? I am assuming that this is some programming and/or diagnostic tool. :?

Edited by Wonder007

Heres the exact message I received about it

Did you know that the CBG is a television repair technician’s diagnostic tool? I always assumed it was an Atari service product and never tied it all together. Television repair technicians would use the CBG in an Atari 2600 to generate various screen patterns to assist with diagnosing and repair of television sets.

Makes me want to start asking any old Mom & Pop electronic repair stores if they have one laying around the back of the store or something....even better if it had the box :)

I was playing around with the cart with my joystick and I found some interesting screens other than just the color bars (see following screenshots, sorry for the quality):

DSC04588a.bmp

Screen #1

DSC04590a.bmp

Screen #2

DSC04591a.bmp

Screen #3

When you turn on the game, color bars appear. Nothing will occur unless you have a joystick. If you go down with the joystick and press the button at the same time, you start getting some weird screens and images. In each screen, numbers and/or letters appear at the bottom. When you change the numbers/letters, the screen and/or sound changes. There is also a category on top of those numbers/letters. The following are the categories in order:

1) SND2 • FREQ • VOL

2) SND1 • FREQ • VOL

3) PRO3 FI•CO BITS

4) PRO2 FI•CO BITS

5) PRO1 FI•CO BITS

6) OBJ2

7) O2CL • SPEC •GEO

8 ) OBJL FI•CO BITS

9) O1CL • SPEC •GEO

10) Field Bits

11) CLR • FIELD • SPEC

12) BKG • COLOR

Then screen #3 appears and then color bars. Then, the cycle starts all over. Remember, unlike the regular CBG where you use the select and restart switches to toggle screens, here you use the joystick and the screens are different as described.

I don't know what the above codes/categories mean. I have never seen anything like it. Can anybody shed some light????? I am assuming that this is some programming and/or diagnostic tool. :?

I am thinking that this might have been a companion cart with the regular CBG cart we all know about. Still clueless. :?

Edited by Wonder007

• 9 years later...