IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 37: Golf

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over, and no further scores will be accepted.

Instead of shooting aliens or hunting for treasures, this week we're off to the golf course for a quick 9. Meet me in the clubhouse for drinks and let me know your score!

Game Information

• Game Name: Golf
  • Released By: Atari, 1981
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert - Smaller Hole, Chance of Rolling into the Rough
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - 1 Player
  • Chosen By: Christophero Sly

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, January 18th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 33 (johnnywc) [+11]
  2. 34 (Nathan Strum) [+10]
  3. 35 (Deteacher) [+9]
    35 (RJ) [+9]
    35 (Rom Hunter) [+9]
    35 (Christophero Sly) [+9]
  4. 38 (the 5th ghost) [+8]
  5. 39 (Goochman) [+7]
  6. 40 (SpiceWare) [+6]
  7. 41 (scogey) [+5]
  8. 42 (rheffera) [+4]
  9. 61 (vdub_bobby) [+3]
  10. 74 (LarcenTyler) [+2]

Best Tips

• Nathan Strum [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Break Par - Anyone who scores par for the course or better (36 strokes or less) will receive 2 bonus points.
    • johnnywc, Nathan Strum, Deteacher, RJ, Rom Hunter, Christophero Sly [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 35 (Ryan Gavigan)
  2. 39 (Stephen R Riesenberger)
  3. 42 (Stephen Knox)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [378]
  2. SpiceWare [271]
  3. Deteacher [212]
  4. keilbaca [175]
  5. LarcenTyler [136]
  6. vdub_bobby [135]
  7. rheffera [99]
  8. the 5th ghost [79]
  9. BrianC [78]
  10. shawnb [71]
  11. scogey [69]
  12. JacobZu7zu7 [69]
  13. Cybergoth [63]
  14. Malc74 [63]
  15. shadow460 [63]
  16. atari2600land [61]
  17. Goochman [59]
  18. Christophero Sly [49]
  19. theKLT [37]
  20. SeaGtGruff [36]
  21. 128bytes [34]
  22. Nathan Strum [30]
  • Recycled [28]
  • Jred [26]
  • Zoyx [26]
  • doctorclu [22]
  • phaxda [21]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Captain Beard [16]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • RJ [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • supercat [5]
  • Biter [2]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
  • ewing92 [1]
  • mightymage [1]

Scoring Points in Golf

• Each time your golfer hits the ball, one stroke is recorded by the computer. Your objective is to have a low score, or to match or beat the "par" for each hole, and ultimately the par for the entire course.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has both a scanned version and a typed version online for your reading pleasure! The manual for Golf doesn't provide any specific hints, but the explanations in it might help your game anyways!
* Plan your shots. Don't just always hit the ball as hard as you can. Often, it works better to hit your first shot shorter to a strategic location that makes the second shot easier.

* The shortest path isn't always the best. Sometimes it works better to hit beyond a hazard, then come back to the fairway with a longer second shot.

* Try to make as many of your shots as possible at right angles (straight up, down, left, right). It's a lot easier to predict where the ball is going to go. Even if it costs you an extra stroke to position yourself correctly, it's worth it for a clear shot at the green or past a hazard.

* You can hit over hazards and corners of the rough, but only if they're near where you're standing, and only if you hit it hard. If you keep hitting the same drive into a hazard, hit a shorter shot instead, then use your second shot to fly over the hazard.

* Stay out of the rough. You'll eat up too many strokes trying to get back out of it. Same with sand traps. Plan around them.

* Practice controlling distance and direction. You'll soon learn where to hit the ball each hole, and how hard. If you can repeat your swing, you'll shoot much lower scores.

* Go for the green in as few of shots as possible. Practice hitting it on the green from a distance. Laying up is safer, but will cost you strokes.

* Don't be afraid to hit putts fairly hard. Practice putting, and see how far you have to back-swing in order to go certain distances.

It's not that difficult, once you figure out each hole. Since nothing ever changes (hole position, wind, hazard location) it's just a matter of figuring out direction and distance for each shot, and being able to repeat it.

Don't think of it in terms of "aiming". What I do is look at the shape of the player's club. Since it's so blocky, that actually works to your advantage. Once you figure out what arrangement of pixels will hit the ball in a given direction, it's easy to repeat a stroke. You're aiming based on the visual appearance of the club, rather than aiming on where you hope the ball will go.

Actually, I found it easier to play on 'a' because it allows you to cut the corners of the rough. If you hit the ball hard enough, you can shoot right over the corners of the rough. I found it easier to get to the hole that way. The smaller hole on the green really doesn't make it that much harder. Just watch your angle and you'll be just fine. :)

--Ze_ro

There we go, I finally got around to updating the scores... If it's any excuse, I bought Twilight Princess, and have been having a lot of fun with it :)

Also, I noticed just today that there were a few locked topics in the High Score Club forum... I don't remember locking them myself (unless I did that by accident somehow), so I'm not quite sure how that happened... anyways, I've unlocked them now, so if you happen to get a high score in a game that has already past, or you find out a great new strategy, feel free to post it in an old thread!

--Zero

A few tips:

• Plan your shots. Don't just always hit the ball as hard as you can. Often, it works better to hit your first shot shorter to a strategic location that makes the second shot easier.
  • The shortest path isn't always the best. Sometimes it works better to hit beyond a hazard, then come back to the fairway with a longer second shot.
  • Try to make as many of your shots as possible at right angles (straight up, down, left, right). It's a lot easier to predict where the ball is going to go. Even if it costs you an extra stroke to position yourself correctly, it's worth it for a clear shot at the green or past a hazard.
  • You can hit over hazards and corners of the rough, but only if they're near where you're standing, and only if you hit it hard. If you keep hitting the same drive into a hazard, hit a shorter shot instead, then use your second shot to fly over the hazard.
  • Stay out of the rough. You'll eat up too many strokes trying to get back out of it. Same with sand traps. Plan around them.
  • Practice controlling distance and direction. You'll soon learn where to hit the ball each hole, and how hard. If you can repeat your swing, you'll shoot much lower scores.
  • Go for the green in as few of shots as possible. Practice hitting it on the green from a distance. Laying up is safer, but will cost you strokes.
  • Don't be afraid to hit putts fairly hard. Practice putting, and see how far you have to back-swing in order to go certain distances.

Never cared much for this game, but after giving it a few rounds, it's not bad.

Shot a 39...

post-2641-1168565118_thumb.jpg

Gonna try for par, next.

Great score, but is that playing with the correct difficulty settings with the small hole? ;)

If so, I am VERY impressed! :cool:

Ze_ro, you need to correct the listing. Dif. A gives a smaller hole, not a larger one...just so there's no confusion.

Edited by the 5th ghost

Great score, but is that playing with the correct difficulty settings with the small hole? ;)

Yep. Difficulty A. Small hole, ball can go in the rough (I double-checked the instructions before playing).

If so, I am VERY impressed! :cool:

Thanks! But it's not that difficult, once you figure out each hole. Since nothing ever changes (hole position, wind, hazard location) it's just a matter of figuring out direction and distance for each shot, and being able to repeat it.

If I get the chance, I'll post "maps" for some of the holes, to show where I'm hitting the shots.

Yuck! This game doesn't take into account my handicap!

(What is my handicap? Playing with a lousy aiming system this game has!)

Don't think of it in terms of "aiming". What I do is look at the shape of the player's club. Since it's so blocky, that actually works to your advantage. Once you figure out what arrangement of pixels will hit the ball in a given direction, it's easy to repeat a stroke. You're aiming based on the visual appearance of the club, rather than aiming on where you hope the ball will go.

Since nothing ever changes (hole position, wind, hazard location) it's just a matter of figuring out direction and distance for each shot, and being able to repeat it.

That's the one thing I don't like about the game. I wish they would have given us a variation like Adventure so that hole position, wind, and hazard locations are different every time you play. That would have made the game great.

Some people don't like the aiming system, but once you get used to it, you have more of a feeling of hitting the ball than many other golf games that came after this one on various consoles. Anyone new to this game, let me know if you discover the same thing. See if hitting the ball in this game gives you a more satisfying feeling than hitting the ball in most other golf games.

First one to break par! 35. Yes, I played it on the 'A' setting too.

Actually, I found it easier to play on 'a' because it allows you to cut the corners of the rough. If you hit the ball hard enough, you can shoot right over the corners of the rough. I found it easier to get to the hole that way. The smaller hole on the green really doesn't make it that much harder. Just watch your angle and you'll be just fine. :)

post-9712-1168656690_thumb.jpg

great choice...nice one to come back on. by the way my best friend requested gorf for christmas one year and due to a misunderstanding recieved golf..he was pissed but we played it for about 10 straight hours. thats what i think about every time i play this one.