IGNORED

Toyshop Trouble is brilliant!

godzillajoe

• 2 weeks later...

No problem. :) I need to add all four of the holiday carts to the database, which will include screenshots, scans, and a description of each.

I have finally done this. :)

2003 Holiday Cart

2004 Holiday Cart

2005 Holiday Cart

2006 Holiday Cart

I also added all the other homebrew games that hadn't been added yet (in total I just added 14 homebrew games to the database)..

..Al

• 5 months later...

I get, even if REALLY dislike, the lack of a free .bin download. (I know Al has encouraged the free .bin in the past)

I DON'T get why it doesn't get a page on http://www.atariage.com/software_list.html

Al has been very, very busy lateley. I am sure he will catchup eventually. And there will be a binary, but by now not everybody even got his cart. Just be patient.

Al has added a page for this, but is there a binary coming out? I mean I own Toyshop Trouble #31 myself, but this is such a great game that I'd love to see the bin posted for other people to enjoy. :cool:

* crosses fingers *

Al has added a page for this, but is there a binary coming out? I mean I own Toyshop Trouble #31 myself, but this is such a great game that I'd love to see the bin posted for other people to enjoy. :cool:

I expect to release the .bin in 2008; people who want the cart during the Christmas 2007 season should be able to buy it in the Store.

I expect to release the .bin in 2008; people who want the cart during the Christmas 2007 season should be able to buy it in the Store.

Has bankswitching support been added to the official build of Stella yet? An update for 2.4.1 is due soon. That might be a good opportunity.

That's up to Supercat and Albert, I suppose. The Stella team has the 0840 code but won't release it until I give them the go-ahead.

Has bankswitching support been added to the official build of Stella yet? An update for 2.4.1 is due soon. That might be a good opportunity.

That's up to Supercat and Albert, I suppose. The Stella team has the 0840 code but won't release it until I give them the go-ahead.

That's correct; I'm still waiting for your approval :)

I suppose the question is whether an 0840 release would get used more by developers who are designing for the econoBanking cart, or by people who are leeching binaries of Toyshop Trouble from someplace?

It would probably be good to encourage further development of 0840 games, since they should save Albert some work. Though something besides emulator support would probably have to happen for that. Maybe if Albert had a pricing policy that put 0840 games between 4K and 8K games?

I've doodled around with some ideas for a 16K econoBank cartridge, but I haven't figured any scheme I'd trust not be be flaky. The econoBank 8K cart may randomly bankswitch any time before the first bankswitch command is issued (so both banks must contain identical code until that happens) but after that it will be stable. The only 16K designs I've been able to figure would be at risk of random bank switching if the cart goes more than a few thousand cycles without a bankswitch. And that seems rather too dodgy to want to trust.

Hmm... actually, I might be able to manage it without excessively-floated capacitors, but it'd probably require too many resistors to be very nice. Thinking... Hmm... that might work. :)

I suppose the question is whether an 0840 release would get used more by developers who are designing for the econoBanking cart, or by people who are leeching binaries of Toyshop Trouble from someplace?

True, though at this point I'd be surprised if anyone has bothered to take apart a TT cart, pull the EPROM and dump the binary with an EPROM burner, or hack the 7800dev software to dump 0840 or whatnot, as they can't play the binary in an emulator, Kroko or Cuttle Cart. Releasing the emulator support might encourage one to do so, but I wonder if it would happen and be widely disseminated before you release the binary, if you're doing so early next year (and if that binary release is going to be 0840 or F8.)

Then again, if there's a developer out there who wishes to try 0840, I suppose they could PM me or you for a copy of an emulator that supports the scheme. It's not like there are a lot of us, and I'm sure we all trust one another...

I've doodled around with some ideas for a 16K econoBank cartridge, but I haven't figured any scheme I'd trust not be be flaky. The econoBank 8K cart may randomly bankswitch any time before the first bankswitch command is issued (so both banks must contain identical code until that happens) but after that it will be stable. The only 16K designs I've been able to figure would be at risk of random bank switching if the cart goes more than a few thousand cycles without a bankswitch. And that seems rather too dodgy to want to trust.

Hmm... actually, I might be able to manage it without excessively-floated capacitors, but it'd probably require too many resistors to be very nice. Thinking... Hmm... that might work.

I thought about this too, but more as a good way to support LARGE carts. E.g. if you use a 22v10 PLD instead of the TTL chip in the 8k version, you might have enough macrocells to support a 32-pin EPROM, i.e. 128k, 256k, 512k, or maybe even 1M?