IGNORED

WarioWare: decent

kisrael

Are you sure about that? WarioWare on the GameCube WAS the Game Boy Advance version!

Well, no it wasn't; it was the microgames of the GBA version, in several amusing multiplayer wrappers. It's the wrappers that was missing.

So here's what I wrote about the game, overall it isn't as bad as all that, at least pick it up once it gets a bit cheaper:

So I got Smooth Moves.

It's decent. I'm a little bummed that it's closer to a GBA WarioWare than the GC version in terms of sorta lackluster multiplayer support. Sometimes I almost think Nintendo is trying too hard to seperate WarioWare from Mario Party.

It's interesting that the Wiimote is by and large a superset of all the Nintendo handhelds' controls, including the DS... like with Mario Party, you find yourself wishing for a kind of "Ultimate" version containing every game from the previous titles, rather than just cameos... though running into the WarioWare twisted microgame set was pretty amusing in a postmodern sort of way.

The minigames (as opposed to the microgames, longer challenges that you gradually unlock) are fairly compelling and innovative, especially the one where you have to catch and balance lightly physic-y blocks... very nice and Zen. But I find myself longing for the "toys" of Twisted; I think that remains the champ of the series, especially considering it's such an elegant and imaginative use of what is essentially a single mechanic.

Some of the microgames are such that you don't know what exactly the controller is reading... but in practical terms, it's good to figure out when you actually need to be pointing at the sensor bar. I still kind of long for "honest" 3D triangulation with the controllers, I don't know if that's feasible though, just because of the physics and limts of timing circuitry involved.

As always, it's 9volts retro-levels that I find the most compelling. There's just something about the slicing and dicing of previous titles that I find very compelling, kind of a reward for being a Nintendo player for 2 decades or so. Especially because the Wii is powerful enough to excerpt GameCube and N64 titles...

Still, the crowning glory of 9volt for Smooth Moves has to be the Star Fox boss level. The boss waving around a Nintendo lightgun is just too cute... and I think the control scheme is much closer to where Miyamoto et al wanted it to go. (Side thought: could there be a market for VC-ish remixes of old titles, improving the control scheme when it makes sense to?) I was bummed in 2 ways by the sound effects; one is while they got the communicator beep-in noise they don't have the character's gibberish-speak, and I would have loved to hear that announcer ghosty "Good Luck" in it.

So, a good game, and culturally/design/wacky compelling for casual gamers in a way Wii Sports isn't...closer to Rayman in that regard. Still I'm waiting for multiplayer to really kick into gear on this system. Wii Tennis, that one Rayman sliding / curling battle, and a few Monkey Ball games (quite a few of which sound better on paper than in person) are the only justification for having 4 Wii-motes at this time. (And then I gotta figure out if I can buy "Play" without getting a Wiimote...)

concur with kisrael's thoughts above.

i was absolutely sucked in by the block game, and was sadly disappointed when i found that 50 was the last level.

Not having much luck (or fun) with the ping pong tower game, and the shooting game is somewhat meh.

I am glad I bought it though, this will be the title to pull out when friends come over.

Still, the crowning glory of 9volt for Smooth Moves has to be the Star Fox boss level. The boss waving around a Nintendo lightgun is just too cute... and I think the control scheme is much closer to where Miyamoto et al wanted it to go.

That not just any boss, that's R.O.B. the Robot! I nearly spit soda out my nose the first time I saw that. :lol:

Still, the crowning glory of 9volt for Smooth Moves has to be the Star Fox boss level. The boss waving around a Nintendo lightgun is just too cute... and I think the control scheme is much closer to where Miyamoto et al wanted it to go.

That not just any boss, that's R.O.B. the Robot! I nearly spit soda out my nose the first time I saw that. :lol:

Yeah I know! I was just trying to be less Spoiler-riffic. Very clever of them.

This is correct, you unlock multiplayer by completing everyones short stories. I haven't tried multiplayer nor have I tried Orblon's (sp?) stuff yet. Soon as I saw it required the nunchuck I didn't feel like pulling it out and attaching it. Might try it later tonight though...

Anyway, as Kisrael said, complete all the player 1 stuff and then multiplayer will become avail to you.

I am waiting on WiiPlay...

I'm waiting for a Mario Party, Wii's been out a couple months and I've already had an ass-full of mini game games, don't want to completely burn myself out before MP hits.

It will be curious to see how many times they can resell the same games with different graphics tho.