IGNORED

Transferring Xbox game saves to Xbox 360

Jess Ragan

I bought Datel's Xbox 360 transfer kit, hoping to transfer my progress in my favorite Xbox games over to my Xbox 360. There's just one problem, though... although I've got the equipment necessary to make this transfer, the Xbox seems unwilling to play along. It will allow me to copy SOME game saves to a memory card, but most of them refuse to make the migration. I've tried the official memory card, I've tried a USB dongle and a thumb drive. I've tried making copies in both the BIOS and in the games themselves. Nothing works!

Is there any way, any way at all to move these saves to the Xbox 360? I'm at my wit's end, and I dread the thought of retracing my steps in games which I've already spent hours playing. Is this going to require a Linux installation or a hardware modification?

JR

I've never put saves on a 360. I have never used Datel's device. He stated some xbox saves won't go on a mem card and I know you can manually FTP them to your PC through FTP. Now whether or not Datel will take those and put them on the 360 I don't know.

I'm pretty sure the Xbox saves will work with transfer kit on your 360. However you may need to at least softmod your Xbox so you can FTP them.

Since no one seems to know for sure, and the results are mixed .... Logic 101 time!

A. Datel's transfer device can move data from the XBOX 360 to a PC.

B. A modded XBOX can transfer save files to and from a PC.

C. The desired outcome is to move files from the XBOX 360 to the XBOX.

A + B <> C.

A + B does are necessary for C, but are they sufficient? The 360 uses a completely different architecture than the old XBOX, and the old games only run in emulation. It's possible that the backwards compatible saves on the 360 are formatted in an incompatible way that are only readable by the emulator, and not an old XBOX.

Even if it's technically possible, we won't get any help from Microsoft. From their backwards compatibility FAQ:

Q: Can I transfer saved games or downloaded content between my Xbox and Xbox 360 consoles?

A: No. In fact, all downloaded content and many saved games already cannot be transferred from one Xbox console to another. However, all free downloadable content for original Xbox games plus premium content for Halo® 2 is available free. Simply insert the game disc, connect to Xbox Live, and choose to download this content as you would on an original Xbox.