IGNORED

My new Lynx has arrived! First impressions!...

Damon Plus

After receiving the package, I opened it (duh!). Man, the Lynx has a more resistent box than that of the Game Gear. It´s only a bit deteriorated, while my Game Gear box is, well, in a very bad shape.

The system has come with the instructions and all, in a better shape than it is appreciated in the photos I posted.

Bad thing is that it was Sunday, so no stores were open around here. I had to use 4 new batteries and 2 used ones :x

This thing is HUGE! I think it´s even bigger than the Gamegear. I remember putting the GG in a pocket when I was a child, and I barely can put half of the lynx into one! :P (In fact, it is as large as 2 DS´s). Huge, but it has a nice feel in your hands that I can´t quite explain.

Pac-Land and Chip´s Challenge were in good condition (8.5/10 and 7.5/10 respectively I´d say), while the Slime World and Stun Runner boxes were pretty bad (6/10 and 5/10). I opened the weird placed cartridge slot, inserted the game (in a weirder way I´d say, facing the system? :D ) and started playing.

Stun Runner: First game I tried was Stun Runner (the only one that couldn´t try on an emulator). Definitely impressive, altough a bit less than what I expected after reading some opinions (I have to say that I only tried it for the first stage to see if it worked). Nice graphics, and potentially good, addictive gameplay.

Chips Challenge: I knew this game before, so I can´t really say much about it. One thing that bothered me was that it was a bit hard to follow what was happening on the screen when the character moved. Another good one, for sure.

Pac-Land: Something similar happened with this one, altough not as bad (I guess that the screen is not as good as it used to be after all these years). Basic platforming, but a one that might get you addicted without knowing exactly why.

Slime World: I enjoyed this one a lot when I tried it, so I knew what to expect. I think I´ll play this one a lot, it has a very original premise and fun, metroid-esque gameplay.

I didn´t play it much because of the batteries, but it has left quite a good impression on me. I´ll probably collect games for this system (along with the DC and DS) seeing as they´re not hard to find, even unopened, and that there are about 70 offical releases.

BTW, I have 2 questions:

1) I used a cheap AC adapter with 1A and 9V, BUT 18W instead of 3.6W. Could I damage my Lynx?

2) I don´t want to stress the screen too much. It is better to reduce the contrast and play with the system from a different point of view instead of looking directly at the screen? (I´m sure you undestand what I´m trying to say :P )

I have used loads of cheap adaptors with Lynx's and never had a problem. The screen is fine don't worry about it, just enjoy!

I assume you have a Lynx 1, the Lynx 2 is smaller (same size as a gamegear) but I could actully fit the Lynx 1 in my nice deep blazer pocket when I was at school and actully had more problems with the Lynx 2 because of the width!

I´ll use the adaptor I have then. I was worried because when I played my Genesis (didn´t have the old adaptor), in less than an hour, the adaptor was very hot I and had to stop playing.

But strangely, that doesn´t happen with my Lynx. I was playing for more than an hour yesterday (Chip´s Challenge is GOOD!) and it was just like if I had not been playing.

BTW, I´m thinking in getting some new games already. I have 2 choices now:

-Crystal Mines 2 and Xybots pack (unopened): 10€

-Crystal Mines 2, Xybots, Steel Talons, Super Skweek, Kung Food (unopened): 25€

The price is the same, because either way I´ll pay 5€/game. But I want to know if the extra games in the second pack (Steel Talons, Super Skweek and Kung Food) are worth it. Yes, I know that KF is not worth it XD.

I love Super Skweek! One of my fave Lynx games (if you like Chips Challenge then you will adore it too), Kung Food isn't as bad as some people say, Steel Talons is one of the finest arcade conversions on the machine and the same can be said for XYbots which is like an early Doom style game and started life as a 3D update of Gauntlet! Crystal Mines 2 is an ok game, probaly the second weakest of the bunch IMHO. :)

Edited by mr.kizza