IGNORED

Jumpman game contains two cassettes?

Ross PK

The tape version has some LOOOONG load times and lacks the randomizer feature. You're much better off playing the disk version.

Are the levels from the tape version identical to the disk version? (I didn't even know it came on tape, until I saw this thread...)

Yes. The tape and disk versions are identical with the exception of the randomizer missing from the tape version (for obvious reasons).

Tempest

Oh, I SO remember those agonizing load times: fire up the 410, go get a sandwich, come back, the guy is almost to the top of the ladder, then, BAM, load error.... ARGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Just caught this thread. I remember watching that guy crawl up the ladder only to have it lock up after 15 minutes. I still have the tapes and already made CAS files out of them. I'm attaching them to this post. Now you can watch jumpman RUN up that ladder!!

Epyx___Jumpman.zip

gobo, since you have the game as well, can you tell me whether the two cassette cases have ridges on the black plastic at the sides or whether they are smooth?

I'm being anal again but one of my cases is smooth while the other is ridged, so I'm sure one isn't the original, and the ridged one looks like someone has sandpapered the front, I wouldn't mind trying to replace it somehow.

It's cool you know because the game still has the Epyx Advertisment that came with it.

Edited by Ross PK

Oh, I SO remember those agonizing load times: fire up the 410, go get a sandwich, come back, the guy is almost to the top of the ladder, then, BAM, load error.... ARGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Don't dispair, you still had a couple of options.

You can throw the tape and player together out of the window. You can smash the whole thing with a hammer. Or you can cut the tape in small pieces with a scissor. All the options actually come to mind when this happens :)

Oh I remember those days far too well. We had an Atari 400 so we could only get the 410 with it (I was only 6 at the time, so a disk drive would have been overkill and it would have required a 48K mod anyway), so I learned to loathe tapes. Accidentally bump the tape player: Error. Stomp your foot too hard: Error. A cricket farts somewhere within a 20 mile radius: Error. Of course you got those lovely loading noises to make up for the constant errors (I swear it sounds like the computer is melting down).

Tempest

Oh I remember those days far too well. We had an Atari 400 so we could only get the 410 with it (I was only 6 at the time, so a disk drive would have been overkill and it would have required a 48K mod anyway), so I learned to loathe tapes. Accidentally bump the tape player: Error. Stomp your foot too hard: Error. A cricket farts somewhere within a 20 mile radius: Error. Of course you got those lovely loading noises to make up for the constant errors (I swear it sounds like the computer is melting down).

Tempest

I'll dig the tapes out tomorrow if I can to look for the ridges.

I kinda liked the loading sounds the tapes and disks made. The tapes kinda made you zone out after a while :)

Of course you got those lovely loading noises to make up for the constant errors (I swear it sounds like the computer is melting down).

What is certain is that, after countless tape loadings, the ear learns to distinguish the different types of sounds. I guess it happens to most people. You can distinguish the EOF record. And sometimes you can even realize about a load error in the middle of the block, before the OS actually detects the error.

Tempest

I'll dig the tapes out tomorrow if I can to look for the ridges.

I kinda liked the loading sounds the tapes and disks made. The tapes kinda made you zone out after a while :)

I LoveD that sound. Like a sick Bantha with hair balls!

I even duplicated Atari Cassettes with my dual deck sterio and they worked great!

"Beerreeep, brreep, beep, breeereeep...."

Like the rest of ya, I was very annoyed by load errors. Some tapes by Synapse had a back-up on the back side, helpful but never 100% successfull!

Love this community!~

Chris

Oh the good old days of cassette. I started with a 400/410. Sold it for an 800/410 and added a 1050 a while later. What a difference!! Not many people know, but the 410 was a STEREO not mono deck. It used (I think) the left side for data and the right side could have audio. May be reverse, not sure... 27 years ago... Anyhow. Some of the Synapse games would give you nice music (audio recording) to listen to while the tape was loading. there was a simple POKE command that silenced the loading noise. They would do that, and give you the nice music to listen to. I wonder what was actually faster, the Atari 410 or the Commodore 1541 disk drive at loading the same program?

I wonder what was actually faster, the Atari 410 or the Commodore 1541 disk drive at loading the same program?

The 1541 diskdrive, suitably programmed, could load data at almost 10kbytes/second. No cassette can go that fast.

On the other hand, there were some tapes for the Commodore 64 that could load data faster than the default routines for the disk drive. One of them even showed a title screen and played music while it was loading (showoff!)