IGNORED

Format internal Falcon HDD

gdanko

I wouldn't format an internal IDE drive since it's conceivable that it will not withstand a low level format procedure. Therefore it is advisable to partition the drive using the partition menu in the hard disk driver utility program. The program is self explanatory so it should be a straightforward process. I would also suggest that you create one LNX partition should you wish to make a MiNT installation.

Falcon's TOS can have up to 1Gb per partition and up to 14 partitions thus enabling the user to have 14Gb available. With MiNT a user can create an ext2 partition and have an almost unlimited amount of data space. Magic on the other hand enables the use of FAT32 partitions but this limits the size of them to 128Gb.

I remember reading that this is also the falcon's bus absolute limit for hard disk size but I am unable to verify since I don't have a disk that size.

If you find that some things do not work as they should I would suggest contacting Uwe Seimet, the author of hddriver.

I wouldn't format an internal IDE drive since it's conceivable that it will not withstand a low level format procedure. Therefore it is advisable to partition the drive using the partition menu in the hard disk driver utility program. The program is self explanatory so it should be a straightforward process. I would also suggest that you create one LNX partition should you wish to make a MiNT installation.

Falcon's TOS can have up to 1Gb per partition and up to 14 partitions thus enabling the user to have 14Gb available. With MiNT a user can create an ext2 partition and have an almost unlimited amount of data space. Magic on the other hand enables the use of FAT32 partitions but this limits the size of them to 128Gb.

I remember reading that this is also the falcon's bus absolute limit for hard disk size but I am unable to verify since I don't have a disk that size.

If you find that some things do not work as they should I would suggest contacting Uwe Seimet, the author of hddriver.

If everything is in rom how do I boot MiNT?

gdanko, you need to learn Atari ST's huh? Yes Mint is like WB. It loads from disk. TOS is like Kickstart. But the ST can boot to GEM with no software for a bare bones setup, where the Amiga needs some files to boot WB.

When I had my 520 way back in the day all I did was boot game floppies. So how do I get the MiNT install files to the disk? I don't have a way to transfer large files. Well I do have a NIC but I don't know how to set it up!

You should be able to formay 1.44 floppies on a PC and copy the Falcon factory disks to them. The Falcon will read the PC formatted floppies. The factory disks include MiNT, Hard Drive tools, Language disk, and so on. I know there is a site that has most all ST factory dosks for most all ST models, Falcon included.

MultiTOS is the disk that includes MiNT.

Atari ST/TT/FalconSystem Disks

Edited by Guitarman