IGNORED

What was the last computer you punted to the garbage can?

deadmeow

I hear ya about the <1GHz PC. This one, at 800 MHz, is not capable of smooth DVD playback. I don't know what else it's not capable of, but I know one thing it is capable of, and that's surfing AtariAge.

I used to play DVD's in PowerDVD on a P2-450. It was technically a dual Xeon, but I don't think that made any difference in DVD playback. It certainly didn't utilize both CPU's, and the only other difference from a normal P2 was the cache speed. I'm not sure why you should be having trouble at 800MHz. ??

It's kind of sad to see PCI go away, also, because I've also collected a lot of PCI cards which are perfectly good but will probably need to be sold/trashed when I make my next upgrade (certainly if I go with a Mac tower, which has no PCI slots).

I'm not convinced yet about PCI-express. To this day, when you go to a real life store to buy expansion cards, they're all PCI. I haven't seen anything in Express except for video cards. Motherboard makers continue to hedge and include PCI slots. Creative Labs apparently has even stated that they find PCI express to be problematic for sound cards. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but it's starting to look about as interesting as Rambus.

• 1 month later...

I gave away a very nice condition Tomy Tutor with original cassette cable and 3 game carts a few months ago. The guy's a collector so it went to a good home. I kept being distracted by the little Tutor box with its rubber chiclet keyboard. I had it streaming video to the internet at one point and was going to set it up to accept BASIC downloads and keyboard commands from the 'net in a sort of Tomy Tutor timeshare. I needed a fun uC project (internet/keyboard interface), but the thing had to go away before I found myself actually working on the silly project.

"What was the last computer you punted to the garbage can?"

NONE - computers and other household electronics should be treated as hazardous waste due to high lead content, if not properly recycled. Please don't throw them away with regular garbage.

my closet is my trash can, you should see it.. things that go in dont usually come out ;)

I tossed a few hundred systems when I worked at a thrift store. C64s , PC clones, and TIs were more common than dirt, and unless the set-ups were especially appealing (boxed or pristine condition) I'd toss most that came in. Even then we'd have a pile of 10 or so of each system on the shelves at any given time... and unlike most thrifts, they were tested, guaranteed working, and came with all necessary parts.

A year or so ago, I went through a personal purge, and tossed most of my old systems. C64s, C128s, Apple IIs of various types, Franklin Apple clones, PC clones, TIs, and Amigas. I kept one each of the majors, and kept my more odd-ball systems (Tomy Tutor, Aquarius, ECS, TRS-80 Model 4p, etc). It was a melancholy evening of cleaning, but necessary to get my life back into order... (I can easily lapse into "hording" behavior, and I sometimes have to take drastic measures to keep from becoming one of those people who fill their houses with crap and become recluses.)

Holy hell! I think I'm going to be sick. :woozy: That's not just an atrocity it's something close to genocide! I can't see how anyone that's into the "retro scene" could ever cast away such treasures. I'd personally build a storage shed in the back yard to keep these things in rather than see then destroyed.

I'm also horrified to see that four separate people tossed an Adam! WHY?? I still don't have a complete unit myself and to hear of four of them being condemned mercilessly makes me want to weep.

The only items I've ever done away with were a few completely dead PC monitors. Not vintage one's of coarse. Just the super common "dime-a-dozen" types that you see a myriad of at every junk store. And even then they had to be "deader than Elvis" for me to even consider it.

So if anyone else has the unseemly desire to hurl a functional Adam, Amiga, Apple IIgs, 80's IBM type PC, ect, just because it's "too big/taking up space", then please chuck it my way.

More hit the tip on the weekend (where we have an electronics recycling centre); two Mac Classics, a P1 75Mhz PC, a Celeron 400Mhz PC, an Apple IIc, two Apple IIe's and a IIc green screen.

It was hard to do but I need the space and simply don't need many multiples of systems, I'm keeping two of most of my older systems, one for use and one as a back-up.

I tossed a few hundred systems when I worked at a thrift store. C64s , PC clones, and TIs were more common than dirt, and unless the set-ups were especially appealing (boxed or pristine condition) I'd toss most that came in. Even then we'd have a pile of 10 or so of each system on the shelves at any given time... and unlike most thrifts, they were tested, guaranteed working, and came with all necessary parts.

A year or so ago, I went through a personal purge, and tossed most of my old systems. C64s, C128s, Apple IIs of various types, Franklin Apple clones, PC clones, TIs, and Amigas. I kept one each of the majors, and kept my more odd-ball systems (Tomy Tutor, Aquarius, ECS, TRS-80 Model 4p, etc). It was a melancholy evening of cleaning, but necessary to get my life back into order... (I can easily lapse into "hording" behavior, and I sometimes have to take drastic measures to keep from becoming one of those people who fill their houses with crap and become recluses.)

Holy hell! I think I'm going to be sick. :woozy: That's not just an atrocity it's something close to genocide! I can't see how anyone that's into the "retro scene" could ever cast away such treasures. I'd personally build a storage shed in the back yard to keep these things in rather than see then destroyed.

I'm also horrified to see that four separate people tossed an Adam! WHY?? I still don't have a complete unit myself and to hear of four of them being condemned mercilessly makes me want to weep.

The only items I've ever done away with were a few completely dead PC monitors. Not vintage one's of coarse. Just the super common "dime-a-dozen" types that you see a myriad of at every junk store. And even then they had to be "deader than Elvis" for me to even consider it.

So if anyone else has the unseemly desire to hurl a functional Adam, Amiga, Apple IIgs, 80's IBM type PC, ect, just because it's "too big/taking up space", then please chuck it my way.

I feel lunch coming up to. WTF? How busy ARE these people that they can't take time to put this stuff up on Ebay (or sell it to a used stuff dealer, or SOMETHING!)

We need a forum here (kind of an offshute to Marketplace I guess) just for people to put up shit they don't want anymore and will give away for the cost of shipping or something. :D There's a lot of stuff that's getting needlessly thrown away..and I'll hoard all that shit :D

Hearing about the outright disposal of classic computers and consoles makes me sick, too. They're never going to make any more of them, folks, so PLEASE don't throw them away; whatever you have, there's somebody out there who needs it to fulfill their collection or to use as a parts donor. No matter how busy you are, there's no reason not to post it in the Marketplace forum or on eBay instead (and yes, I too would have been happy to take one of those ADAM systems that ended up in a landfill someplace).

And don't "throw away" computer hardware with your household garbage, either. It's hazardous waste and should be taken to a scrapyard or some other recycling facility that can handle electronics. Fortunately for me, I've always had a place to take my scrap because my Dad is into recycling and precious metal recovery, and he can break down the circuit boards and chips and recover the gold, silver, copper, and other valuable materials inside. Even the metal and plastic of the cases can be recycled.

Having said that, I'm proud to say that in the years I've been building and upgrading computers, I've sent a large number of crappy Packard Bell and Gateway computers on a one-way trip to the scrap heap. Commodity PC hardware is about all I've ever really gotten rid of; the older stuff is too interesting (and sometimes too rare) for me to scrap with a clear conscience.

If you've got old stuff to get rid of and hate to throw anything out, check out freecycle.org.

The ones in my area run as Yahoo groups, but I don't know if they all do. Anyway, you can list items you have to give away and search for free items you need. Pretty cool way to keep things in use instead of in the dumpster.

I've found new homes for some stuff this way and have found an item or two that I needed.

I also have a couple of garage sales each year with an extensive FREE!!! area. :D

....We need a forum here (kind of an offshoot to Marketplace I guess) just for people to put up shit they don't want anymore and will give away for the cost of shipping or something. :D There's a lot of stuff that's getting needlessly thrown away.....

I think that's an excellent idea. Call it something like "Free Market". Seriously, this needs to be done. It's a crying shame that these irreplaceable items, which have survived 20 - 30 years or so, only now to be tossed aside like so much refuse. There really is no excuse for it.

Edited by darthkur

....We need a forum here (kind of an offshoot to Marketplace I guess) just for people to put up shit they don't want anymore and will give away for the cost of shipping or something. :D There's a lot of stuff that's getting needlessly thrown away.....

I think that's an excellent idea. Call it something like "Free Market". Seriously, this needs to be done. It's a crying shame that these irreplaceable items, which have survived 20 - 30 years or so, only now to be tossed aside like so much refuse. There really is no excuse for it.

I reckon that would fast become the most read forum, it would be a good idea to also split "Free Market" up by country with a summary listing - that would make it quite user friendly.

About 4 years ago I downsized my ST collection - chucked out 4 or 5 520STFM machines, a couple of STe's and a Mega ST - some worked, all were cosmetically challenged :-)

Still left me with a fair few ST and STe machines - all in better condition than the ones that got trashed...

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

I reckon that would fast become the most read forum, it would be a good idea to also split "Free Market" up by country with a summary listing - that would make it quite user friendly.

Heck yeah, I like "Free Market" and yeah, breaking it up into countries (or at least contenants or something) is a good Idea, so you can get stuff for your area (or a different area) more easily.

Time to talk to Albert, er, or do we talk to someone else?

Heck yeah, I like "Free Market" and yeah, breaking it up into countries (or at least contenants or something) is a good Idea, so you can get stuff for your area (or a different area) more easily.

Time to talk to Albert, er, or do we talk to someone else?

I sent Al a PM a couple days ago concerning it but never heard back from him. Perhaps everyone that thinks this is a good idea could also send him a PM so he knows it's just not one "super obsessive type" person that's interested in this project.

"What was the last computer you punted to the garbage can?"

NONE - computers and other household electronics should be treated as hazardous waste due to high lead content, if not properly recycled. Please don't throw them away with regular garbage.

Ditto what he said. NEVER EVER throw computers into the regular trash. Take it to a thrift store, donate it, garage sale it, if it's broken take it to a recycle center...that's where it should go. I've personally grabbed units out of the trash that shouldn't had been in there in the first place. I've sold off throwaways for a few bucks too.