IGNORED

wii questions

Shannon

Was reading thru the owners manuals and thought of a couple things.

Does anyone run the wrist strap cord thru the connector hook of the nunchuck? They mention that a couple times but a couple comments here give me the impression people do not follow these instructions.

How much does turning of rumble help with battery life? Turning off Audio?

Thanks

straight from the big N

www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/setupWiiRemote.jsp

Check battery levels

A fresh set of alkaline batteries should last, depending on amount and type of use, up to 35 hours. This can vary greatly based on certain factors, such as Wii Remote Speaker Volume, Rumble, battery quality and age, and type of game being played.

Important Note: If you are using rechargeable batteries, the only type of battery recommended are Nickel Metal Hydride batteries. When it comes to using rechargeable batteries, you must follow manufacturer guidelines for safety and proper usage. Failure to do so could cause damage to the Wii Remote and void the warranty.

Does anyone run the wrist strap cord thru the connector hook of the nunchuck? They mention that a couple times but a couple comments here give me the impression people do not follow these instructions.

I tried it once yesterday. I'm probably never going to do that again. The connection to the Wiimote is enough, and getting the strap on/off the connector is a pain. Besides, if you're throwing your nunchuck, you've got problems. :P

I'm not too worried about dropping the nunchuck, either. It's obviously designed to take a bit of shock, and doesn't appear to have as many delicate electronics in it as the Wiimote. Landing square on my carpet isn't going to hurt it any. My biggest concern at the moment is that I'm going to get too worked up in boxing and wrap myself up like a pretzel. The cord is plenty long enough for what I've used it for, which means that there's more than enough rope to hang myself with! :lol:

straight from the big N

www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/setupWiiRemote.jsp

Check battery levels

A fresh set of alkaline batteries should last, depending on amount and type of use, up to 35 hours. This can vary greatly based on certain factors, such as Wii Remote Speaker Volume, Rumble, battery quality and age, and type of game being played.

I'd also like to add that, it seems to me that when using an add-on adapter with the Wiimote, such as the Nunchuck adaptor (and I would assume the Classic Controller, though I don't own one), the batteries tend to drain a little more quickly. Seems like I have less playtime when playing a game like Zelda: Twilight Princess versus a game like Wii Sports. Just an unofficial unscientific observation. :P

I still tend to get anywhere from 30-35 hours (+/- 2 hours) worth of playtime out of a fresh set of batteries, taking into account that after you turn the system off, the battery power tends to rise just a little bit. So those numbers come from absolutely milking the batteries for all their power, to the point that the remote will no longer operate or be seen by the Wii system (not just when the battery indicator is in the red).

Edited by rockman_x_2002

I'd also like to add that, it seems to me that when using an add-on adapter with the Wiimote, such as the Nunchuck adaptor (and I would assume the Classic Controller, though I don't own one), the batteries tend to drain a little more quickly. Seems like I have less playtime when playing a game like Zelda: Twilight Princess versus a game like Wii Sports. Just an unofficial unscientific observation. :P

The Wiimote has to power its attachments from its 2 AA power source, so there's no surprise that using them reduces the battery life. :)

ok thanks guys. If no one has figured out yet. I picked up a Wii just the other day (see "where are all the Wii's" thread). I'm looking forward to trying it tonight.

That threading thing looked like a real pain in the neck. I'm not sure where they came up with that.

How does that battery life compare to the wavebird?

I'm working on going completely wireless for a couple reasons. New puppy, and the PS3 has kinda spoiled me. :D

I seriously thought of making up a joke picture. Where you would see the TV with a remote sticking in it and the little warning nintendo games give at the beginning (about wearing the strap) on the screen. :lol:

How thick can people be?

Edited by Shannon

idk.. i use both my wiimotes equally.. ive only had to replace batts on one remote and my other is like half way gone. not too bad for the hours id played excite truck, zelda, my other 4 games and my vc games. im quite pleased.. reminds me of the wavebird.. its one of those "oh... i actually have to replace the batteries? oh yea.. it takes batteries" feelings. id much rather have AA then two wired chargers taking up valuable desk space. (btw i love my sensor bar sitting ontop of my imac, you cant even see it ^^)

I managed to mess with the Wii a little last night. But for some reason was really tired so I took a loooong nap. :lol:

Anyways just a few small comments.

For some reason I found myself using my left hand just as much as my right when navigating the menus.

I'll have to dig up the web thread, but reading web pages was nigh impossible. I have it hooked up to component cables.

When I checked out the weather channel (which is pretty cool) it kept on complaining that I had Webconnect turned off. Which was not 100% true. I only turned off "standby mode".

Nintendo needs to get up to speed on their online channel stuff before they fall too far behind the competition.

They need to add USB keyboard support for ANY type of keyboard input. Especially the web browser.

VLC. It's been maybe a year since I really messed with Mario 64. But something about it's dimensions was reaaally throwing me off. Like it was not quite right. Maybe it was just me last night. :P Damn VLC channel is gonna get me in trouble. :lol:

You can use the classic controller to navigate the menu's. (Not sure about the nunchuck yet).

I noticed that stuff that was listed in the manual was NOT available until after updating the firmware. Interesting. Did nintendo do this on purpose? Usually it is the documentation that is outdated. :lol:

Now it's time to experiment with the Mii's and Wii Sports.

Edited by Shannon

I'll have to dig up the web thread, but reading web pages was nigh impossible. I have it hooked up to component cables.

Use the + and - buttons on the Wiimote to zoom in and out of the webpage. When zoomed it, use the DPad to move around.

I wouldn't use it for general internet purposes, but sites intended for the Wii are rather nice. :)

Hey thanks for the tip. :D

I thought I remembered reading something about it. But was not sure if that was in a PS3 thread.

Does the Wii Store have any convention for remembering transaction info (like credit cards)? Most websites do, but I've had to enter it everytime I buy wii points.

Edited by Shannon

Does the Wii Store have any convention for remembering transaction info (like credit cards)? Most websites do, but I've had to enter it everytime I buy wii points.

That's a good question. Does anyone who's used the store know the answer?

no...you have to put in your CC info each time you buy points. However, many website are still able to remember logins and such on forums. For instance, I don't have to log in to the forums here at AA after I logged in once already. However, at the DP forums..I do.

Also...I don't have to login to the forums at Nintendo Nsider either..but I do have to login when registering a new game through main Nintendo website...weird.

Well I suppose as a "responsible" consumer I'm probably better off. :lol: Since entering in everytime is so inconvenient it decreases the chances of those "impulse" buys. :lol: Anyways if Nintendy was smart they would fix this "inconvenience".

Forgot to mention the one thing I was thinking of. I didn't see any easy way to "register" your Wii from the Wii itself. An oversite by nintendo if I would say so myself.

Finished playing thru about half Wii Sports. So far I like it.

The bowling took me a little to get used to. Cause the Wii character walks up to the pins faster than I do in real life. But once I got over that I was able to get the timing of my swing down and get the power that I wanted. Still have a little trouble picking up things like splits though.

Baseball is ok. I don't mind it being too simple just at the moment. People need to get used to this new input before you can add more functionality. Although they could have beefed it up just a Wii little bit. The pitch thing is kinda weird. I can control my speed most of the time, but it's a little flakey. For example I let my list go limp between pitches and it registered that as a pitch attempt. My highest pitch was 95mph.

Tennis is kinda neat but it's easier to play the outside player. The inside player does not position like I would want him.

Forgot to mention that when I stuck my SD card in the Wii and used the photo channel that it was actually able to play the videos on the memory card from my digital camera.

My PS3 does not seem to like them.

See the "Your thoughts & games" thread for my partial comments on Monkeyball.