IGNORED

Wii News Channel appears to have gone live.

rockman_x_2002

Just got home and decided to give the system update a try and see, and it immediately began the (excrutiatingly painful on dialup) process of downloading a new system update. Since I'm on dialup and updates download so slowly, it'll be a couple of hours before I can test to make sure, but I am assuming that it is, in fact, downloading the new News Channel service to the Wii.

Anyway, just a heads-up to let you know, News Channel is now active (or at least downloadable). Maybe someone else can confirm? :)

It's active. The presentation is very cool too.

First headlines I saw in national news:

'9 Youths convicted in Halloween Beatings'

'Abu Gharib Officer to be Court Martialed'

'Navy Helicopter Crashes, Killing One'

'Gates: Iraq Resolution 'Emboldens' Enemy'

Now I can be depressed by my Wii, yay! :sad:

I like the channel, even though I get the same stuff on the ol computer. The zoom in feature is great. They show where the news was happening via globe. Also theres a slide show, click on the picture to get the story. It's actually nice to have, esp for freeeeee. Why won't they make a demo/preview channel? That would be cool. Just a thought..

The zoom in feature is great.

Did anyone notice how the words flips around the page when you resize the text? I know it's a silly thing, but I think it's kind of cool. :)

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can use the DPad to scroll -OR- you can hold the B trigger down and do a drag-scroll similar to clicking the mouse wheel on Windows.

I actually received a message directly from Nintendo on the Wii telling me that the News Channel is now available. Anyone else get this mail?

Yep. I noticed my Wii was glowing this morning, so I turned it on to check the messages. As I expected, there was one from Nintendo about the News channel. From what I understand, that's Nintendo's standard way of communicating updates to their customers. If you don't want your Wii talking to Nintendo, you may want to disable WiiConnect24.

Edited by jbanes

Okay, here's a funny one for you: Did you know Oxford, MS was located in England? :P

At least according to the Wii News Channel, it is. We had a women's basketball match-up against Ole Miss (home team) and Mississippi State. Ole Miss is located in Oxford, MS. However, Wii News apparently saw "Oxford" and tagged it as Oxford, England.

Even further proof that, to the rest of the world, Mississippi does not exist. :P :lol:

For the record, we lost 73-71... as per usual. :sad: ... go Rebs...

Edit: Picture added. :P

post-616-1170049727_thumb.jpg

Edited by rockman_x_2002

Why is it that all of the Wii's extraneous features are more fun than actually playing its games...?

JR

Actually I've been logging the majority of my time in Zelda, Wii Sports, Metal Slug Anthology, and (now that I have it) Red Steel. I was just checking out the News Channel after I had it downloaded and could leave it downloading long enough on dialup to check it out. This was the first story I happened up pull up.

After that, I went right back to Zelda. :P

Why is it that all of the Wii's extraneous features are more fun than actually playing its games...?

JR

I disagree with this. I check the News and Weather everyday online at my PC. It's unavoidable because my homepage includes both. I don't and wouldn't consider browsing the news or weather on the Wii first. No doubt I pulled both up to check them out, and they both were fine, although neither seemed particularly fun. In my opinion they are 100% unneccesary and honesly I probably will never pull them up again. I'm not sure who that feature is even supposed to appeal to.

In my opinion they are 100% unneccesary and honesly I probably will never pull them up again. I'm not sure who that feature is even supposed to appeal to.

Something to do while you snuggle on the couch with your wife? :ponder:

I just love how the zoom allows me to read dense screenfuls of news close up, or large fonts far away. :D

Something to do while you snuggle on the couch with your wife? :ponder:

You mean my girlfriend?

No if we are going to turn on the Wii, it's for some hot and heavy 1 on 1 Sports action, not to snuggle and read how many people died or how many kids got abducted. Have you checked the news lately? There's very little to cuddle to these days. :sad:

No if we are going to turn on the Wii, it's for some hot and heavy 1 on 1 Sports action, not to snuggle and read how many people died or how many kids got abducted. Have you checked the news lately? There's very little to cuddle to these days. :sad:

I usually check things like Business and Technology. The topics there are much more upbeat. Even the politics is amusing, with congress apparently trying to tell the President how to run the war. (Constitutionally, they have to either declare a state of peace, or allow the state of war. It is up to the Commander in Chief to decide how it gets run.) :)

Have you checked the news lately? There's very little to cuddle to these days. :sad:

Just look at what the first news my Wii ever delivered to me was ^

Okay, I guess the first news my Wii told me was that it's actually a Gamecube. :P :lol:

This just in! Kutaragi fiddles while the Playstation brand name burns!

JR