IGNORED

Resurection of my Atari

orpheuswaking

Ok guys, I've posted sporadically in here asking random questions but not actually having my Atari at hand. I have just been able to pick up for cheap a couple of Commodore monitors that will enable me to have my Atari set up full time (along with a bunch of commodore equipment that I may explore, can't beat it for $50 along with the two monitors, even if I part them out on ebay I'll make back what I put out)

Anyway, my point for posting...

1) I'm going to get the SIO2PC and APE but I'm really interested in what else I should get if anything. My setup right now is an 800xl stock and a 1050 stock (and a second drive of an 810 stock)... I had been looking into the SIO2IDE or the MAXFLASH IDE, anyone prefer one over the other? What about using CF? how hard would it be to get a CF slot inside the 800xl?

2) I have a composite cable (Video and Audio) but should I attempt the Chroma mod and wire a new cable for the Commodore monitor (1902 and an Amdek 80)

3) Memory upgrades?

4) Other upgrades?

5) The 32 in one OS looks way cool, but why would I really need it?

Thanks to you all as I know I will get some good ideas here, you guys rock...

Orpheuswaking

Edited by orpheuswaking

It sounds like you're not far behind me in the Great Atari Restoration... here's what I've found out so far:

1) I'm going to get the SIO2PC and APE but I'm really interested in what else I should get if anything. My setup right now is an 800xl stock and a 1050 stock (and a second drive of an 810 stock)... I had been looking into the SIO2IDE or the MAXFLASH IDE, anyone prefer one over the other? What about using CF? how hard would it be to get a CF slot inside the 800xl?

I've got a Maxflash MyIDE. It's amazing...

From what I know of the SIO2IDE, it runs at standard SIO speed (19200bps, or maybe "turbo" 38400/57600 speed?). The MyIDE is lightning fast. It's also a "plug and play" solution, if you get the package that comes with a Transcend flash IDE module preloaded with MyDOS. You literally take it out of the box it comes in and plug it into your XL, and now you've got built-in MyDOS, 64 megs of flash-based "hard disk" storage, and 128K of flash-based cartridge ROM (which you can fill with cartridge images, then choose which one to run at boot time).

The only downside of the MyIDE, at least of the cartridge version, is that you can't use it with software that uses the RAM underneath the OS ROM (such as SpartaDos 2 and up), because it loads a patched OS into that RAM.

2) I have a composite cable (Video and Audio) but should I attempt the Chroma mod and wire a new cable for the Commodore monitor (1902 and an Amdek 80)

Definitely. I don't know about the 800XL, but on the 1200XL I had to do a Clearpic mod to get decent video at all (I use a Commodore 1702, so it's not the monitor's fault). It was definitely worth the effort: the picture is *that* much better. The 800XL video might be better than the 1200XL, so you might get by with the one-wire chroma mod, but s-video vs. composite is still noticeably nicer looking.

3) Memory upgrades?

If your primary interest is gaming, 64K is generally enough... very few games will take advantage of any extra RAM. If you're wanting to do telecommunications (get your Atari on the 'net, or call BBSes), you probably want 128K so you can run Ice-T. Also, it seems like almost all demos being written these days require extra RAM.

I wimped out and sent my 1200XL off to be upgraded to 256K, rather than doing it myself. I'm really not so great at soldering...

4) Other upgrades?

Internal SIO2PC is nice. Even if you're not going to use it with APE or SIO2PC software, it's effectively an internal serial port.

Internal MyIDE is also nice, and it's probably your best (only?) option for adding an internal CF slot.

You don't really need 32 OSes, but you do need at least the 800XL and 800 revision B OS... there's a good bit of 800-only software that won't run on an XL. You could load the Translator disk instead, but it's annoying.

Also, if you're using an SIO2PC, the Warp OS that comes with the 32-in-1 will give you fast (57600bps?) SIO operation with APE/SIO2PC/AtariSIO all the time, not just when you're running a DOS that supports it.

Also also, if you have a MyIDE, the restriction about software that uses the RAM under the OS should go away (the MyIDE patched OS is one of the 32 OSes that you get). I don't know whether this will make the MyIDE work with SpartaDOS or not, though...

There's also a "reverse BASIC" XL OS included, which boots with BASIC disabled by default (you hold down Option to enable BASIC, if you need it).

For me, the 32-in-1 is useful because I've got a 1200XL... its OS is different enough from the standard XL/XE OS that it's not compatible with all software (though I don't know what the differences are). With the 32-in-1, I'll be able to have the 1200XL masquerade as an 800 or an 800XL.

I to have a 1200XL that I have modded quite a bit. Right now it has 256K memory upgrade and 32in1 OS. I am also installing the internal SIO2PC, MyIDE interface with CF card adapter and stereo Pokey upgrade. My plan is to cut a slot to insert the CF card from the outside. I nickname it Frankentari. I use it right now with an external SIO2PC hooked to a Dell Optiplex. The Dell has a TV card with composite input that I run the Atari into and get full screen 19in VGA video.

If I were you, I would get the memory upgrade, and the 32in1 OS. That way you have no compatibility issues do to OS or memory and will be able to run anything. If you have an extra PC for APE, get APE and the SIO2PC as that setup kicks a**. If you don't want to bother with a pc, get the MyIDE and you can keep the Atari self contained.

Edited by Guitarman

I to have a 1200XL that I have modded quite a bit. Right now it has 256K memory upgrade and 32in1 OS. I am also installing the internal SIO2PC, MyIDE interface with CF card adapter and stereo Pokey upgrade. My plan is to cut a slot to insert the CF card from the outside. I nickname it Frankentari. I use it right now with an external SIO2PC hooked to a Dell Optiplex. The Dell has a TV card with composite input that I run the Atari into and get full screen 19in VGA video.

If I were you, I would get the memory upgrade, and the 32in1 OS. That way you have no compatibility issues do to OS or memory and will be able to run anything. If you have an extra PC for APE, get APE and the SIO2PC as that setup kicks a**. If you don't want to bother with a pc, get the MyIDE and you can keep the Atari self contained.

Did you remove the RF shield? When I do the computer gives me problems. It works intermittently and is not stable. I have found if I put the shield back on it does not have problems. Well, that does not allow me to do the mods in your list so I wondered if there is something I am missing. This only happens with 1200xl motherboards

Edited by Almost Rice

Did you remove the RF shield? When I do the computer gives me problems. It works intermittently and is not stable. I have found if I put the shield back on it does not have problems. Well, that does not allow me to do the mods in your list so I wondered if there is something I am missing. This only happens with 1200xl motherboards

Yes I did. I have had no problems with the 1200XL without the top shield. What problems have you had??

Hm, when I was working on my Clearpic mod and having problems with it, I ran my 1200XL without the top or bottom shield... basically just a motherboard on a wooden table. At one point I played the Pac-man cart this way for maybe 30 minutes, had no stability problems (had video problems due to my inept modding, but fixed them).

The shield protects against RF interference... maybe you've just got a lot of it in your environment?

Someone once told me the early Ataris had all that shielding to keep the Ataris from interfering with radios/TVs, not the other way around. Later on, the FCC regulations got a little less strict, so the later models didn't need as much shielding... I don't know how accurate this is, take with a grain of salt.

Also... depending on what mods you're wanting to do, you might be able to get by with cutting holes in the shield instead of removing it completely.

Does the non-cart verson of MYIDE that plugs into the OS rom slot have the same sparta/ram limitations? Can that version also be used with the 32in1 os upgrade?

The cart version has the MyIDE OS inbedded, if I'm not mistaken. The internal version is just the hardware. You need to burn a MyIDE OS chip and replace the XL OS chip in the computer to use it, but then you are stuck with that OS unless you use an OS selector switch and keep both OS' installed (piggybacked). The 32in1 upgrade eleviates the problem since you can choose what OS you want to use at any time and the MyIDE OS is in the list. You can install the MyIDE and switch to the MyIDE OS to use it. If you switch back to another OS, the MyIDE is just ignored.

As far as the SpartaDOS/RAM limitation, I would think that there wouldn't be since the MyIDE drivers are part of the OS rom and not being loaded through the cartridge adapter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the SpartaDOS/RAM limitation, I would think that there wouldn't be since the MyIDE drivers are part of the OS rom and not being loaded through the cartridge adapter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding (and experience) so far is that SpartaDOS v3.3a will work with the MyIDE ROM OS, but not the RAM based MyIDE OS. Sparta v3.3a has been modifed to NOT use high-speed I/O, which will allow it to work with MyIDE (IIRC.) SpartaDOS X MAY work with an internal MyIDE and ROM OS, but I haven't tested it and don't know anyone that has said they have run this setup successfully.

I was running the ATOS GUI with SpartaDOS v3.3 under the older v3.x MyIDE OS, but haven't had any luck getting it to run under the v4.x MyIDE OS. Anyone else had any luck with this? I'd really like to run ATOS in this environment if possible.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

• 3 weeks later...

The Dell has a TV card with composite input that I run the Atari into and get full screen 19in VGA video.

Could you give me some advice on the TV card? Does it take over your monitor or is the output of that into a window on the screen? Trying to figure if running APE and having the output through the TV card would require me to shut down the TV card output to switch disks.

Also, models? Costs? Ups? Downs?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at this as a possible sollution to not having to keep the 800 setup for those few games that won't run on the 130XE. Is it worth it? If all I'm going to use is the stock 130XE or 800 OS, is it worth buying or is there a software/bootable ATR that I can run to load the 800 OS on the 130?

Also, what about those games that allowed for 4 joysticks?

Yes I did. I have had no problems with the 1200XL without the top shield. What problems have you had??

I've done a bunch of upgrades to my 1200XL, but I have kept the shield in place, but have cut away areas where the upgrades do not fit underneath the shield. I never tried without the shield so I don't know if problems can occur.

I've looked at this as a possible sollution to not having to keep the 800 setup for those few games that won't run on the 130XE. Is it worth it? If all I'm going to use is the stock 130XE or 800 OS, is it worth buying or is there a software/bootable ATR that I can run to load the 800 OS on the 130?

Also, what about those games that allowed for 4 joysticks?

As mentioned above, there is an 800 OS translator disk that can be loaded first, then 800 software will work fine on an XL or XE. There are a couple of 800 cartridges that are incompatible, but file versions have been hacked of these cartridges that will work with the 800 OS translator disk.

Any ideas where I could get an ATR of that translator?

Look here:

http://www.langesite.com/atari/Holmes/Holm...ications%20A-Z/

Or, the other question, is the 32-in-1 really better/worth it?

I have one, and love it. However, the two OSes I use the most are the Ape Warp OS (gives really fast transfers with SIO2PC cable) and the MyIDE OS (because I also have an internal MyIDE + Transcend 128M drive). If your only purpose is to play a few games that need the 800 OS, the translator disk might be enough for you... unless maybe the 800-only game(s) in question are your very favorite games that you will play every day. In that case, you may get really annoyed with the translator disk. Whether you're annoyed enough to make the 32-in-1 worth it, is a question only you can answer...

Thanks for the link, although I'm not sure which translator file to get (so I got them all and will test them). I'm thinking I may just end up keeping the 800 as well as a couple of the games could use all 4 joystick ports and the 800 is the only one of the two with 4 ports.

definately keep the 800, 4 player asteroids :party:

I want an 800, but not at the price they go for on ebay :x