IGNORED

With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Gabriel

You know, I love my real friends. I love 'em because they kick ass. But sometimes I have to wonder if they have it in for me.

This Christmas, I bought one of my poorer friends a brand new PS2. His launch unit had finally gotten too unreliable, and he was sad because he didn't have the free cash to buy a new system. Since he's my best bud, there was no real decision but to try and make him happy again. I also grabbed him a few RPGs and a Simpsons DVD set while I was at it. At first he was embarrassed because I was giving him all this stuff, but I told him that he deserved it for being my friend all these years. (Cuz that's tough fucking work.)

Anyway, my good deed done, I put it out of my mind. I didn't expect anything in return

So, yesterday he shows up and tells me how he came into a few hundred bucks, and felt bad about not giving me a Christmas present. So, he hands me a Wal-Mart bag and says, "Merry Christmas!"

It was a Wii.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to respond to this ... gift. And he says this: "Look. I know you've said this thing is a waste of money. But you and I both know you end up buying every damn videogame in sight, because you love videogames. You already have a PS3 and 360. You already have every old system known to man. But, I knew you didn't have this, and if I bought it for you it would absolve you of all guilt."

I nodded sheepishly, because my friend knows me all too well. I smiled as I found he had bought me Super Swing Golf (the only game for the system I was mildly interested in). But then I had to force myself to remember that he was my friend and meant this gift in pure kindness when I discovered he had also bought Trauma Center for me. GACK.

We took Wii Sports and the other two games for a spin. We ended up finding Wii Sports Bowling the most playable, and putzed around with that for a while. Trauma Center seemed to be almost a straight port of the DS game (the first three levels seemed the same, anyway). Super Swing Golf confounded us for a bit. I eventually figured it out, while my friend never could get the game to register a swing.

Then the novelty wore off and my friend asked to play my 360. What game did he choose to play? He went straight to Arcade and started up Ms. Pac-Man.

Anyway, I guess now, for better or worse, I own a Wii.

Despite that, he's still my best friend in the whole damn world.

Yeash. You act like he gave you a load of aweful Mexican Beans and said, "Eat up!" :lol:

It's just a video game system. I would never in 20 years buy a PS3 (after that it will be super-cheap in a "classic gaming store" ;)), but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be happy with one if I got it for free. Sure, it would probably sit on the shelf for the most part, but I'd see if I could find a few PS2 games to feed it. Perhaps even grab some used PS3 titles when it came down in price.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, dude. Find a way to put it to work! :cool:

I know, being how its just for casual gamers.

I guess I'm just a casual gamer now.

How do you figure? You did after all grow bored with the Wii's gimmick after just one day and went right back to the 360. I'd say your hard core cred is still perfectly valid, maybe even more than before. :P

You have a good friend in that dude. Not so much because he bought you an expensive gift...but more so because he doesn't have a lot of cash and bought you an expensive gift. That means, you and your friendship mean a good deal to that guy. Got to feel good being appreciated like that. (I'm guessing it was probably 100% unnecessary tho) I suspect that's why you started this thread to begin with. Not so much to show off your new Wii, in as much to show off you have a good friend. Good thing to, because no-one here wants to see your Wii. :D

Edited by moycon

I know, being how its just for casual gamers.

I guess I'm just a casual gamer now.

How do you figure? You did after all grow bored with the Wii's gimmick after just one day and went right back to the 360. I'd say your hard core cred is still perfectly valid, maybe even more than before. :P

because nothing makes a gamer more 1337 than a dusty wii sitting next to the 360 :)

I would think this topic was silly if not for the fact that if I had a friend give me a PS3, I would react the same way. I'd have asked if they thought I was a movie buff or something.

By the way, I like how your opinion has changed from "the Wii is for no one and will fail" to "the Wii is only for casual gamers". I guess you had to fit the success into your worldview somehow, huh?

I would think this topic was silly if not for the fact that if I had a friend give me a PS3, I would react the same way. I'd have asked if they thought I was a movie buff or something.

By the way, I like how your opinion has changed from "the Wii is for no one and will fail" to "the Wii is only for casual gamers". I guess you had to fit the success into your worldview somehow, huh?

To tell the truth, I find it impossible to believe the supposed numbers this thing is selling. If people wanted a gimmick attached to a retro-console this badly, why didn't the Xavix fly off the shelves?

I can't see myself buying many titles for this thing. Any multi-platform title will be superior on the 360 and PS3. I'm definitely not a fan of the signature Nintendo titles. Maybe there will be a resurgence of light gun games. (I think the Wiimote has some issues in that area, though)

I did play some Super Swing Golf and Trauma Center last night. I suck at Super Swing Golf. It took me two tries to get through the first match, and even then it was a very narrow thing. I'd very much prefer it to be a GameCube game with conventional controls. There are times when the sensor misinterprets things and does some very strange stuff.

Trauma Center continues to be a DS port. Every operation evokes a bored sense of deja vu. I did notice some branching scenarios (or maybe they just branch to cutscenes) last night. I don't recall those in the DS version. I will say that I like the controls on this one better than the DS, mainly because the tool selector is on the nunchuk. It slows me down less. Being able to play it on a screen that doesn't suck also helps. It actually brings the game up from total crap to average.

Meh. I'll keep it hooked up to the TV in the other room. Maybe there will be a Fire Emblem game or something eventually.

To tell the truth, I find it impossible to believe the supposed numbers this thing is selling. If people wanted a gimmick attached to a retro-console this badly, why didn't the Xavix fly off the shelves?

Guitar Hero. 'Nuff said.

No! Wait, wait, wait!

Dance Pads. 'Nuff said.

No! Wait, wait, wait!

Eyetoy. 'Nuff said.

No! Wait, wait, wa-

Aw, screw it. You get the idea.

Meh. I'll keep it hooked up to the TV in the other room. Maybe there will be a Fire Emblem game or something eventually.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0701/game070122d.shtml

There, happy now? Of course not. -_-;

I wouldn't mind the "gimmicks" associated with the Wii if they only worked as well as advertised. One of the guys from the other forum (you know the one) made the excellent observation that fighting in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is neither as cathartic nor as realistic as he was led to believe. Link's sword doesn't really follow the motions of the Wii... simple swings and button presses are all that's necessary to perform most moves, making the action a lot less intuitive and exciting than we all expected it to be.

JR

Edited by Jess Ragan

I wouldn't mind the "gimmicks" associated with the Wii if they only worked as well as advertised. One of the guys from the other forum (you know the one) made the excellent observation that fighting in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is neither as cathartic nor as realistic as he was led to believe. Link's sword doesn't really follow the motions of the Wii... simple swings and button presses are all that's necessary to perform most moves, making the action a lot less intuitive and exciting than we all expected it to be.

JR

I agree with you here. I'd much rather have Link swing exacty as I swing the remote (although swinging the remote is more fun than pressing a button). The one realistic movement that really comes in handy is the shaking the nunchuck side to side to do the spinning attack. That move feels really intuitive. I also found that using the slingshot, boomerang, etc was alot of fun using the remote. I wouldn't want to go back to aiming with the right thumbstick of a traditional controller.

Bah!

Try Rayman if you can rent it or find it for cheap. But to each there own. I haven't tried Zelda yet, and I'm not sure of the longevity of the Wii. I'm sure I'll get 360 eventually (Bioshock and Halo 3 I'm looking at you.) PS3 can piss off till it's the same price as 360...after a price cut...

on coupon day...

Cheers,

Ben