IGNORED

Close to doing what others deemed "Impossible"

King Atari

As you may well know, I'm a huge Double Dragon fan (look at the avatar), and I've beaten many, many versions. However, as you may know, the 2600 is beyond difficult, with nasty controls, and relentless enemies. But, after much practice, I have made it about halfway through Mission 4. I can get on the Abobo screen, and you know how nasty them Abobos are. I'm SOOOOO close to beating the game, I can taste it (not literally). If I'm not mistaken, only about one other person has beaten it on these boards, so I'm on to something, uh, special. If nothing else, I'll get to say "Yeah, I beat 2600 Double Dragon".

Any words of encouragement while I go for the gold?

Who cares what others think about avatars. It's the post that matters.. but having said that let's see the controversial one! (I'm curious) :D

Oh by the way, wasn't there a thread last year or so from a board member who said he FINALLY beat 2600 DD? He even posted screenshots and mapped it out!

There was no controversy for me -- hurting women is no good, even in cartoon form. I guess I should have more of a sense of humor about that, but somehow I can't. I yam what I yam.

But! Thanks for changing it on behalf of the rest of the board. All better!! Now, you KNOW you can beat that damn game. Get angry. Growl like Mr. T. Eye of the tiger, man. Your name is, after all, King Atari!! Do it! BEAT THAT GAME! And make sure you get a screen shot and show us all an image when you've triumphed!

-- Encouraging Chris

I in NO WAY meant it in an abusal form. That's not right, and I want nothing to do with that. I meant it like "Hey! He's punching her! I'm gonna load the game up and beat the crap outta him!". Please don't think wrong of good King Atari.

but having said that let's see the controversial one! (I'm curious)

It was the animation of Marian getting slugged in the game's intro. I wanted one of Billy Lee walking, or of him punching a bad guy constantly, but that's the only fittable image from DD1 I could find. Anyways, the old one is changed and will never again be seen as my avatar.

OKAY THEN! Let's get back to the topic. The Abobos are ripping me apart. I have 0 lives, but full life bar, but when I'm done killing ONE Abobo, I only have two life units, and another comes on! I might have to start over, use the save feature, and somehow make my way to the spot with 1 or 2 lives. This won't be easy, but I vow to beat the game. Wish me luck! Difficulty ramps in this game like it isn't even funny.

Good luck man. Yes, I did beat Double Dragon last year and yes, IT WAS VERY HARD. My advice on beating the Abobos is to kick them until they fall down. Once they do, put your back to them and hit em with an elbow. I can't remember if an elbow knocks them down again but I know it causes more damage than a fist or kick.

Maybe tonight or tomorrow I will make a video to post on the site so others can see how to get through the game.

Yep, an elbow smash knocks them down. The only problem is that they move away when you try to hit them. Still, I got on the third one before I died, so i figure the trick is to just move really fast (stupid time limit).

The music is excellent, but so are the graphics and backgrounds. Activision jammed a lot into that cart.

Okay, here's what the plan is:

According to the map, this should be the only Abobo screen on Mission 4. If I can get through it, I can take out the following Ropers/Williams/Lindas easily. I hear Willy is pretty hard. However, with a huge space to move around in, I think I can take him. This is 2600 Double Dragon, so everything is unpredictable, but I hope this plan works.